shooty, jumpy wolf guard

ranulf the revenant

So, I was thinking about running a unit of maybe wolfguard with this load out: jump pack, storm bolter, storm shield (maybe a leader with thunder hammer or combi-melter as Well). I think the idea of elite jump troops is just kind of appealing to me, but are they a viable option? Point cost would be 128 with the combi-melter on the leader. I know our elite-slots are crowded already, but maybe they have some value as they are not that expensive and fairly versatile Edited by ranulf the revenant

magnetize the arms

i used 5 WG with jump packs and SS early in 8th

combi plasma is ok for alpha strike

i ended up preferring combi flamers though

I could advance and still fire...or i could combi fire at BS4 and flamer auto hits anyway

the flame guard made great objective hunters and i also sent them against culexis assassins and even flyers (they killed a 2 wound remaining xiphon in a tournament once)

defensively they are fragile

SS discourage the easy kills with powerful weapons but i have had many games i rolled bad and lost the entire unit to las guns or other mass cheap fire (another reason i made them chaff hunters...to eliminate threats to them)

I stopped using them because they aren't the most point friendly unit and my army went in a different direction

But they are extremely flexible so that gives you many options during a game

128 points will get 5 storm bolter so 10 S4 shots at 24" or 20 at 12". You get 5 T4 3++ wounds.

123 points will get you 3 bolter Inceptors so 18 S5 AP-1 shots at 18" and 9 T5 3+ wounds.

You get more (and heavier) dakka with the Inceptors and more higher toughness wounds. You lose the invulnerable save and the melee punch but Wolves are not short of units that can tear up the opponents in melee so I would say dedicating some points to Inceptors is not a bad idea.

Before PA7 or any other points adjustment, wolf guard on bike is still a good choice for dakka. 

Alpha terminators can shot twice and have BS+1. If wolf guard terminator got same rule, they would be best shooty unit. Combi-plasma with 2W 2+ 3++. 

Edited by bluescope