Replacing the old guard

Black Knight

I really do get the feeling with the latest CA, more than before, that Primaris are slowly taking over from our older models. Not quite there but the difference is definitely less now.

The Librarian(Standard) for instance is now just Inferior to the Primaris one for only five points more.

On a lighter note the drop in the Landraider has almost made it just as good as two Dreadnoughts. I could take either and be happy.

Edited by Black_Knight

Sure, I could see it happening eventually... but primaris can't take any special or heavy weapons. Do they need to? Not sure as the new doctrines are pretty potent.

The primaris librarian may be cheaper but the regular librarian still has so many options available to it: weapon swaps, the staff (better melee choice for same price), jump packs and more diverse transport options (especially since we don't get an impulsor). The repulsor (and executioner) are fine you tend to have to design their shooting abilities into the army, where a single razorback can almost feel like add-ons in 2k lists.

Both have their strengths and deathwatch can take advantage of both to the fullest, but it makes it hard when we are treated (points-wise) like a space marine chapter while still being treated as a "separate faction" when it comes to allies, rules and unit restrictions.

I’ve personally stopped buying the old marine kits. (And pretty much anything without updates rules)

I think the writing is on the wall that all the old SM kits will slowly transfer over to legends. While this will still probably be a year or two away, I’m still holding off.

With the way GW is buffing a nerfing things in 8th edition I don’t see the value in paying for a kit I could potentially only play with a handful of times.

Sigh, not this again :facepalm:

Don't listen to trolls who spread FUD about SM being somehow "squatted". Not only a lot of SM units got a lot better point cuts and are much more efficient than anything primaris can field, but GW is dragging their feet with primaris range so laughably slowly they can't replace SM even if they wanted. They still need to release two more waves, one with terminator equivalent (gravis?), second with bikes and other light vehicles. Then primaris units for all the special snowflake chapters, then you can talk about thinking about any range replacements. Not in the next 5 years at least.

In short, don't listen to 4chan drivel, until DW has got at least one primaris miniature, DW flyers can transport them, and DW primaris can take frag cannons and xenophase blades. Until then, it's just pure trolling, and GW can't do anything even if they wanted (which I am not convinced they do, given how many times rule writers had been either really inept or sabotaged new primaris release rules on purpose to stop them from selling well).

I wasn't implying it is happening now just that CA2019 was the first time I have felt that we have reached the apex of the hill and Gravity is taking over for DW at least. It may take five years the way things are going but I just had that feeling that this is the beginning.

The Librarian to me is the first model now I have replaced fully. My watch captains are now 75% replaced with Primaris unless I need something special but most of the time I just want the aura.

I feel like that's what they're wanting us to do is stop buying the old and keep buying the new. Since I'm fairly new to playing I've picked up alot of the old starter boxes for my army. I did pick up 10 Intercessors and 10 Hellblasters on ebay for a decent price so I snagged them those are the only primaris models I have. I think if you're like deep into playing or doing it a competitive level then maybe it's good to start cutting out the old models. But if you're just casually in it at this point it not a big deal to have the old ones still.

Since I got my SW out of storage I have a good amount of models since that was the army I was shooting to play with back then, they're all old models too. But I picked up the new SW Battlebox which has some primaris in it. Considering having a detachment of them play with my DW when I get everything painted. But I'm not in a huge rush don't want to run out of stuff to paint or build too soon. Going to try to finish painting my DW first and see all what I have and how my list looks and then if I have room add some stuff from the other one.

I only bought into the Deathwatch because of the models themselves pre-primaris (kill teams, watchmaster, artemis and corvus).  I've no intention on replacing any of them.  I picked up a Fortis Killteam's worth of Primaris through Conquest magazine on the cheap, but otherwise I'll only add the odd model if they ever do DW specific etc or something comes out that I like and can be added.  I'll treat the primaris models in my Deathwatch like you might between Imperial Guard and DW - another army that adds to their support but happens to be a different height as they are from different places :D

I wasn't implying it is happening now just that CA2019 was the first time I have felt that we have reached the apex of the hill and Gravity is taking over for DW at least. It may take five years the way things are going but I just had that feeling that this is the beginning.

The Librarian to me is the first model now I have replaced fully. My watch captains are now 75% replaced with Primaris unless I need something special but most of the time I just want the aura.

I didn't suggest you did, I am just tired of 4chan trolls spreading FUD and then well meaning people repeating it uncritically. No, I still can't see it, DW has little viable HQ replacement in most primaris categories, Librarians were always almost the same price, until we have at least 1 primaris DW model or access to DW gear talking about any replacement is really premature.

Also, if all you want is aura, then if anything I wonder why you didn't say squatmarines are replacing primaris, massive point drop on Watch Master did a huge hit to all other HQs and regular captains are still cheaper to anything primaris can offer...

I feel like that's what they're wanting us to do is stop buying the old and keep buying the new.

Wake me up when they finally do Primaris start collecting, 4 years after they started the range :dry.: