Looking to buy an airbrush kit

I just ordered the Badger sotar 20/20v with the birthday deal they ran on Facebook. Cost me £71 altogether with shipping.

It ended for facebook but then the offered it up to their mailing list right after for 20 days (email arrived two days ago) so we've got another 18 days of that

I'm strongly considering picking up Sotar 20/20 and a second Patriot 105

I just ordered the Badger sotar 20/20v with the birthday deal they ran on Facebook. Cost me £71 altogether with shipping.

It ended for facebook but then the offered it up to their mailing list right after for 20 days (email arrived two days ago) so we've got another 18 days of that

I'm strongly considering picking up Sotar 20/20 and a second Patriot 105

People need to jump on this if they want a decent airbrush at a great price. 

Airbrushing is a great thing to get into .

I started with an Iwata Eclipse HP CS borrowed then i tried a badger krome and couldn't get on with it far to detailed for what i wanted to do.

This is what I wrote for our blog

https://paintinginthedark.blog/2018/07/19/how-do-i-airbrush/

I would suggest similar for your needs buy separate items to cut costs as lots of the "deals" aren't the best. 

I would suggest similar for your needs buy separate items to cut costs as lots of the "deals" aren't the best. 

If you've got a decent airbrush supplier, it can pay to have a chat with them as they may be prepared to put together a "custom bundle" - when I got mine, I e-mailed a retailer (who didn't list any bundles) and said that I was looking to buy the following compressor, airbrush, and accessories, and asked what price they could do it for - I ended up getting a reasonable discount. :)  

Having said all that, the Badger sale event looks pretty unbeatable!

I was thinking about the badger Sale the other day and there IT is again.

I got a h&s Evolution with 0.2 and 0.4 that I love. Been using IT since may I think.

Which badger would You Pick for Detail Work? Krome? Sotar 20/20?

If I dont Go for this I'll propably Drive over to h&s and buy an Infinity. But badgers price is pretty good right now.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

I was thinking about the badger Sale the other day and there IT is again.

I got a h&s Evolution with 0.2 and 0.4 that I love. Been using IT since may I think.

Which badger would You Pick for Detail Work? Krome? Sotar 20/20?

If I dont Go for this I'll propably Drive over to h&s and buy an Infinity. But badgers price is pretty good right now.

Krome and Sotar are mechanically the same airbrush with the following differences:

• Sotar has a smaller paintcup.
  • Sotar has a shorter distance between trigger mechanism (centerline of the air valve column) and the nozzle.
  • Sotar has a needle with knob that goes through the backpiece, meaning that you can pull out (and insert) the needle without removing the backpiece.

If you want to paint fine detalis suggest go for the Sotar, the reduced distance between trigger and nozzle gives more control and the smaller cup obstructs less the aim/line of sight.

I owned and Krome and still own the Sotar and have extensive airbrushing experience of both airbrushes.

The Badger Krome is quite equivalent of the H&S Evolution but without the exchangeable paint cup. you're stuck wit ha large one (unless you grind it down! :)) Also the Krome has the plastic sleeve around the air valve column that makes gripping more ergonomic (you'll feel the difference after 1-2 hours of priming/basecoating.

The main downside of the birthday sale is the international handling & shipping - 32 dollars does make the cheaper brushes quite expensive, e.g. the patriot 105 is cheaper to buy locally than pay the shipping even with the discount where I am.

The sotar 20/20 is still a good price though wherever you are.

I'd actually offer doing something different; the evolution is already a great brush. So you could just leave the 0.2mm needle/nozzle set in it with the small cup and get a crown aircap (so you can clear clogs easier) - it uses the same sets as the infinity. You don't get the cutout or the fancy click lock, but those are fairly pointless when shooting acrylics anyway, and I've barely used either on my infinity, and you'll have a great detail brush already.

Then to save having to swap needle sets back and forth, get a patriot 105 (it may well be cheaper to just buy one normally) for basecoats, primer, zenithal work, and general workhorse stuff. The badger brushes are definitely not as nicely put together as the H&S evo or infinity, but the 'fine' needle the 105 comes with is just really robust against clogs, the nozzle is a decent size, and it's straightforward to strip down. It feels a bit like it's been welded together out of a shovel, but it is very reliable even when it's not perfectly clean.

The sotar (and krome, they use very similar parts) has an insanely small nozzle, and it's not cheap to replace. Plus it hates anything thicker than inks. 

And it'll definitely be cheaper to get a 105 and maybe a few bits than an infinity!

I love my infinity, but even with the 0.4mm needle set it can be a bit finicky. To be honest, if I could only keep one of my 105 or infinity 2in1, It'd probably be the 105, which is kinda sacrilege as the H&S is just such beautiful smooth engineering with a lovely trigger - and cost more than twice as much!

That all said, the big advantage of the standard sotar as a detail brush is the trigger and balance is further forward (with the small cup, or even no cup on the thin) so you can rest a finger on the mini while you spray it for spacing and see what you're doing really easily. It's also very light; i think the equivalent would be the evolution alplus for weight. That does have me tempted to get one, even though a 3rd brush really would be overkill I think!

Rule of thumb I've heard is how do you hold a brush - if right down by the bristles, then a sotar would likely suit you; if you hold it further back on the shaft, then a krome or evolution is probably a better fit for your hand.

Edited by Arkhanist

Funnily enough I hold brushes by the ferrel (ist that how its written?) But my evo I hold way back.

Having talked this through a bit I guess I'll refrain from buying one of those brushes. I am content to keep going with my evo 2 in 1. Should I feel Like its limiting me in a few years I can always get a second brush more geared to detail.

I guess with the Birthday sale it was the temptation to get a badger Airbrush die pretty cheap, AS the sotar is pretty expensive in germany.

Then again I live Like 100 km from the h&s manifacturing plant. So why would i use anything else

Edited by Marshal Vespasian