Guard player starting Necrons...

crimsondave

After working on my Guard army for years, I want to add about 3 more Chimera's and then I'm ready to start a new army.  I couldn't decide between Necrons and Tyranids so I just took the first good deal on Ebay (rare) I found on a starter army and went with it.  I'm here, so needless to say I found Necrons.

I was wondering if you all could give me some suggestions on where to go from here.  I did, of course, order the codex.  I'm not a competitive player so I don't really care about units being great in the game.  What I'm really looking for are the units that are iconic to a Necron army.  What do I need to add to the list below to make the army at least playable and thematic?

5 Immortals

1 Canoptek Spider

47 Necron Warriors

13 Scarab Swarms

3 Destroyers

2 Heavy Destroyers

1 Necron Overlord

Oh, btw.  I will be adding Wraiths just because I think the models are cool.  How many should I get?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

DDAs are great right now, and about our only good anti armor guns. Immortals are great with an Overlord and Tesla Carbines, so more Immortals wouldn't hurt.

If you want thematic, the Monolith is probably the most thematic unit we have. But if you want to win against strong lists leave it at home. If you use it as a transport I strongly urge you to bring some Night Scythe as backup.

Edited by Tyriks

Welcome!

DDAs are great right now, and about our only good anti armor guns. Immortals are great with an Overlord and Tesla Carbines, so more Immortals wouldn't hurt.

If you want thematic, the Monolith is probably the most thematic unit we have. But if you want to win against strong lists leave it at home. If you use it as a transport I strongly urge you to bring some Night Scythe as backup.

I see where you can magnetize the DDA to interchange with the Ghost Ark.  Are Ghost Arks any good? 

I'll eventually have to get a Monolith.  Even if it sucks it just looks too cool.  I looked in CA 2019 and see it's 300 points!  That's 2 Tank Commanders!

Oh, and thanks for the reply.

Edited by crimsondave

Oh, btw.  I will be adding Wraiths just because I think the models are cool.  How many should I get?

literally all the wraiths. They are just all around amazing, at everything

Also grab a cryptek or two and another lord/overlord model (they are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable). 

Perhaps also a C'tan model, because the rules are insanely random and cool. Plus the models look nice.

Welcome!

I see where you can magnetize the DDA to interchange with the Ghost Ark.  Are Ghost Arks any good? 

I'll eventually have to get a Monolith.  Even if it sucks it just looks too cool.  I looked in CA 2019 and see it's 300 points!  That's 2 Tank Commanders!

Oh, and thanks for the reply.

Ghost arks are decent-ish gunboats (20 gauss shots is nothing to sneeze at) and good at keeping warriors on their feet. Survivability depends on what other vehicles you have, and how many. If you want arks to live (either type) you spam them or pray you go first.

Welcome to the tombs!

From what you both have said, it sounds like the most cost effective (money wise) thing for me to do is buy the start collecting box and the outrider detachment box.  Add that with what I have and I can field a decent force.  Then add to it as I go along. 

I'd suggest getting enough destroyers to fill out a full 6 man squad, and enough heavy destroyers for a full 3 man squad.

Wraiths, run 6, you can't go wrong with them.
Immortals, you want to run in full squads of 10, or in small objective holding squads of 5. Nothing really in-between. Their firepower is very good, but they die a little too easily for my taste. Warriors you want to run in big squads of 20, with the warlord trait that makes them fearless, to force people to kill the whole block, or they'll get back up all game long.

I'd snag a cryptek or a lord to play second fiddle to your OL. I like running a chronometron cryptek with my warriors, helps them stay alive longer against the dearth of AP-2 weapons that marines have that would otherwise just annihilate them.

I'd say, those are good starting places! Good luck

From what you both have said, it sounds like the most cost effective (money wise) thing for me to do is buy the start collecting box and the outrider detachment box.  Add that with what I have and I can field a decent force.  Then add to it as I go along. 

That definitely sounds like a solid place to start, and gives you a fair bit of models to work with. I'll echo BaconCouch's advice on Destroyers of both kinds. Added bonus: Destroyers were one of the original units released for Necrons back before they even had a Codex (though those metal models were quite different looking than the current plastic ones).

Out of what you already have I think only the spider is meh, everything else is useable.

Get yourself a second hq to roll the battalion. I’d recommend the cryptek with chronometeron. Give him the fearless warlord trait and stick him between 2 20 man blobs of warriors and that’s an annoying backfield/ovjective holding group. Add a Ghost Ark and that’s even more chances to bring models back.

Necrons have a few different play styles, if you’re not playing against the cutting edge meta or hyper competitive lists, so it’s really up to how you’d like to play.

You can play a large body count slow push army that utilizes some movement shenanigans like the Veil relic and Deceiver C’Tan.

Or you can go fast moving with tomb blades, wraiths and some fast vehicles. It’s really up to what you’d like to collect.

At high level tournaments Necrons really only have one build. But, if you’re not trying to win the LVO, Necrons do a lot of toys to play with. And there’s still hope of getting some new rules with PA.

Well, I found out something I'm sure you all were well aware of.  The models I bought off ebay are older ones.  The warriors look exactly the same except for one difference.  They are on 25mm bases.  Why in the world did GW sell these models with 25mm bases?  The feet hang off both sides.  I ordered some 32mm proxie bases to replace them.  It's gonna be a pain replacing them but it is what it is.