Autarch Skyrunner and Legends Status

Prot

So I have just recently received my Autarch Skyrunner model from GW and started painting it. But a friend told me it's a Legends unit now and won't be allowed in competitive play.

I looked at this document from GW:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/84d4072d.pdf

This document claims:

On the following pages you will find a mixture of datasheets and additional wargear options. Used alongside Codex: Craftworlds, these allow you to field certain legendary models in your games. Some datasheets found within this document contain keywords within angular brackets – rules for determining which keyword these can be replaced with can be found in Codex: Craftworlds.

Furthermore:

Warhammer Legends will not form part of our ongoing balance review for the wider Warhammer 40,000 game – and we don’t recommend Legends units for competitive tournaments.

The Datasheets included in the PDF are: Bonesinger, and Autarch with Warp Generator.

So these two units have gone Legends status.

But in my codex I see a separate Datasheet for Autarch Skyrunner.  As I see it, this is not a "Legends" unit and I can continue using it.

However, in the 'wargear' section.... It mentions changes to existing Datasheets in Codex Craftworlds:

AUTARCH SKYRUNNER This datasheet gains the following wargear options:

• This model can be equipped with one of the following instead of 1 power sword: 1 fusion pistol; 1 shuriken pistol. If it is, it gains the following additional wargear options:

• This model can additionally be equipped with one of the following: up to 2 weapons from the Autarch Weapons list; 1 laser lance and up to 1 weapon from the Autarch Weapons list.

• This model can have one of the following: banshee mask; mandiblasters

Also (though certainly not 'official') Battlescribe has the Autarch Skyrunner listed as a Legends unit.

Can anyone tell me where I'm not understanding how my Autarch Skyrunner has become "Legends"?

Even if it has become "legend" that doesn't in any way preclude of its competitive status. GW say they do not recommend it, but that's literally it, they do not recommend it. For instance, in the 2019 grand tournament rules, index entries (most of which have become legends) were allowed.

In short, it is up to any tournament organiser to explicitely ban (or include) Legends models for his own event. Don't assume, just check.

Even if it has become "legend" that doesn't in any way preclude of its competitive status. GW say they do not recommend it, but that's literally it, they do not recommend it. For instance, in the 2019 grand tournament rules, index entries (most of which have become legends) were allowed.

In short, it is up to any tournament organiser to explicitely ban (or include) Legends models for his own event. Don't assume, just check.

I understand the wording of Legend Status and what it means. I can guarantee our events (most are ITC) will not have these.

Still just looking to see if I understand it correctly though.

Battlescribe isn't an official product, ignore it. Legends doesn't affect anything in the codex. If you take an option out of the codex its not legends. If legends are banned at an event then the extra options presented in the legends PDF won't be usuable but most of the guard codex HQs would be unusable if Autarch Skyrunners were.

I think the skyrunner with the extra options is what's legend's. Autarch can't take mandiblasters or mask in latest publications. But a regular one is, as you said straight from the current Codex, so can't just kill it?

That's my take on it anyhoo. So could be wrong.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

Wow. I don't know. I've looked at it from that perspective and I can't say I see it that way.

Why does GW doe this? So incredibly simple to fix this, yet it's completely unclear.

To me the wargear listed is just... options for the 2 Legend Datasheets. But the wargear can't be illegal. How can it be? It lists not only Banshee masks, but also fusion pistols, and lances.

What GW should have done is said the following are considered legend status: A, B, C. Done.

The way I am reading the PDF is literally those Dataslates are now Legend status. The wargear listed below is stuff you can give them but is completely legal.

Prot - I get how you can see this as confusing but that doesn't automatically make your Interpretation of the pdf the correct one. the options listed in the pdf are legend status. the dataslate itself (which is in the codex) is not.

Rather than just call me wrong, can you at least explain why I am?

The insinuation that my confusion means I think I’m right is at the least a little insulting. To be 1000 percent clear, that’s not how I work. So now you know.

I was at the GW store asking the same question and got a lot of confusing, unclear answers. One of the tournament Eldar players told me he was certain that the wargear wasn’t a part of the legend status.

The Eldar player referenced something about the banshee masked just being listed among the optional wargear as reason for this.

So I took his opinion, read the PDF several times, and asked here. My goal in this forum is always to get it right, not to be right.

Edited by Prot

I'll do my best to be more clear, as upon re-reading my response it was less "clear and obvious" and more "@$$ being @$$" lol.

in the PDF on page 2 the wargear list items are added to the wargear items list in the codex. so any datasheet that references "autarch weapons" can get those.

these items are considered "legend status" because they are located in the Legend PDF for the army, so if you use any of them then your datasheet goes from normal to "legend" status.

Example: autarch with reaper launcher is legend but standard stock spear isn't.

this also applies to the "wargear options" on page 5.

I honestly hope this was more clear and apologize for the unintended slight/disrespect. I can do that sometimes without meaning to -__- explains my eldar/emperors children inclination

Well I thought that things going legend's was stuff they don't make anymore/never made?

They still make and sell the Autarch skyrunner. But the kit doesn't include banshee mask/mandiblasters within its kit. Hence why the Autarch WITH those options is now legend's.

Same with dreadnoughts, obviously can still use a dreadnought in Marines. But they don't sell dual autocannons anymore, so the dual autocannon dread is now legend's. (unless Marines have a separate legend's wargear list?)

Just seems wrong to me to say a current unit, that they still produce and sell, thats in the CURRENT core codex, is now invalidated if you will.

No doubt if more people raise this, our current Codex will get an faq advising whatever the current status of the bike Autarch is. Might be worth sending them a Facebook message or something?

I'll do my best to be more clear, as upon re-reading my response it was less "clear and obvious" and more "@$$ being @$$" lol.

in the PDF on page 2 the wargear list items are added to the wargear items list in the codex. so any datasheet that references "autarch weapons" can get those.

these items are considered "legend status" because they are located in the Legend PDF for the army, so if you use any of them then your datasheet goes from normal to "legend" status.

Example: autarch with reaper launcher is legend but standard stock spear isn't.

this also applies to the "wargear options" on page 5.

I honestly hope this was more clear and apologize for the unintended slight/disrespect. I can do that sometimes without meaning to -__- explains my eldar/emperors children inclination

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm going to go with this line of logic and avoid the Banshee Mask going forward. 

Well I thought that things going legend's was stuff they don't make anymore/never made?

They still make and sell the Autarch skyrunner. But the kit doesn't include banshee mask/mandiblasters within its kit. Hence why the Autarch WITH those options is now legend's.

That makes sense. I'm just re-entering Eldar after a long hiatus and the funny thing is a lot of the 'current' codex is chalk full of these old units I used 10 years ago. A lot of it feels "legend" status. (Don't get me started on failcast Rangers. Half of them are pinned!)

I want to avoid buying any of those models if possible. The line needs a serious revamp, but sometimes they have such a great use, I've re bought them anyway. IE: Skyrunner Autarch. 

I really hated the head on the model, but noted when I got the box from GW Mailorder that half of the pieces are fail cast including the fragile spear. I wish that whole model would go 'legend'. It's kind of hideous to me. 

But again it's vital ruleswise to a lot of lists so I keep him in. 

Since the banshee mask isn't a sculpted, sellable piece of kit, I guess its done now. 

Probably a bit late to suggest it now but I convert my Autarch Skyrunner from a regular Guardian jetbikes and left-over Dire Avenger Exarch pieces. The Exarch head is sufficiently generic to work for the Autarch. The shimmershield and power glaive as a force shield and laser lance.

Its a simple job but it looks good and avoids the thin, fragile resin lance.

Probably a bit late to suggest it now but I convert my Autarch Skyrunner from a regular Guardian jetbikes and left-over Dire Avenger Exarch pieces. The Exarch head is sufficiently generic to work for the Autarch. The shimmershield and power glaive as a force shield and laser lance.

Its a simple job but it looks good and avoids the thin, fragile resin lance.

You know if only you would have posted this 2 weeks ago! :)

Seriously though I just did a head swap, and I really don't like the model. It looks dated and boring. I tried straightening the lance out with hot water and it's still got an awkward curve to it. That plus the banner hanging precariously off of the spear and I know this thing is going to take a trip to Snap City one day.

I need to do that conversion myself one day. For now I'm all spent out on Eldar. I think I'll finish building that Knight when I figure out how to magnetize it and take a step back for a bit.

• 1 month later...

The only thing that isn’t suggested for tourny play is the units listed.

The wargear options are literally adding options to the codex entry and thus are added to the Codex entry of the datasheet (yes I agree it was weird to put them there and not in the faq for the respective codex.)

It quite literally says this for both things.

Said datasheets (the Datasheets that are before the wargear options section. They are the only units presented in the pdf,) in Legends are now “suggested not for use in Competitive play”, and wargear options section adds options to the “CODEX” datasheet entries.

Now, as to the thought that there are datasheets for the same unit in Codex and Legnds pdf... im not sure, but they generally say you use the more recent version of the entry, and if the entry got shifted to Legends then it seems that that unit is Legends now.

Edited by Harleqvin

• 1 month later...

Better late than never. Here is my kit-bashed Autarch Skyrunner. The paint is still WIP but it is coming together nicely.

med_gallery_82363_14341_78421.jpg