Loishy's 1st and 5th compagny

Loishy

Let's continue this Battle company with the 4th tactical squad 

52225129739_80bea23a18_c.jpg

52223850937_604feca9dd_c.jpg

This is the last tactical squad of my company but it's the first space marine squad that I have painted. So the bases are very simple. Otherwise not much to say, I hop they will be usefull in the 9th edition.

Their dedicated transport are a drop pod. It's been a long time since I played it. Maybe with combi-plama, plasma and another squad  ? 

Edited by Loishy

Today I post my frist Primaris here. 

The second lieutenant of the compagny, know as the "Warden of the Blood"  (see Blood Angles codex).  

Two miniatures but for me it's the same character 

52225129459_a5f53d821e_c.jpg

52225341190_b3c0e6c3d6_c.jpg

I'm not a big fan of this pictures, one day I'll retake photos.

Edited by Loishy

I don't recall commenting on this thread before, so I may be repeating myself but you have exactly the kind of style I wish I could have: Incredibly clean, sharp, and tidy.  There's nothing busy on your models or bases that distracts from the main color, and the colors are suprisingly flat despite being great at defining volume.  It really feels like I am looking at a red walking tank when I look at your marines, it gives me the feels I haven't had since 2nd Edition.  I love them.

• 4 weeks later...

2nd chaplain of the company. 

52223850787_8931e23096_c.jpg

Like the previous one, it is also an old miniature. Despiste the very large handle of the crosius, I like it. 

Again, the photos aren't really good. When my company is complet, I will take all this photos again.

Edited by Loishy

2nd chaplain of the company. 

Again, the photos aren't really good. When my company is complet, I will take all this photos again.

No, these photos are excellent, you should see mine...

And the models are excellent too!

• 5 months later...

New year, new miniatures : 

5th intercessor squad : 

52224855921_8538cec7ca_c.jpg

52225341385_4a38fcc043_c.jpg

I tested a few things on them. Battle damage on the armor and a new design for the base. I find them a little more realistic. 
But now I need to redo the base of all my old Space marines. 

Edited by Loishy

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely blends! I agree - you are rightfully proud of the sword :thumbsup: 

I do also think that the new white background seems a little too harsh with the strong lighting. Do you think you could tone the light exposition down a bit?

I do also think that the new white background seems a little too harsh with the strong lighting. Do you think you could tone the light exposition down a bit?

Yeah ... I'm not satisfied with the lighting on the photos, especially for the librarian. I still look for a simple way to adjust my photos without work on them 20 minutes. 

Well done, but as a completely personal view, I think your incredibly smooth painting and sharp extreme highlights (kind of 'Eavy Metal reminiscent really) do not lend well to so much battle damage on the armor.  This is particularly the case with the Librarian where the final highlight is a much more noticable and bright near-white, than the light orange hihlights on the red.  On the painted on battle damged areas, these highlights really stick out a lot, and not in a particularly good way, at least to me.  I would say you need to go subtler on the highlights and do some layering/stipling to break the cartoony look if you plan to go for a batle damaged, realistic look.

I would say you need to go subtler on the highlights and do some layering/stipling to break the cartoony look if you plan to go for a batle damaged, realistic look.

Subtler on every miniature highlights ? Or just with the battle damage highlights ? 

What do you call "Lavering" and "Stipling" ? 

About the pictures - I think you should have some kind of pictures edit option on your phone even - look for the 'exposure' as adjusting 'brightness' will just apply a film to everything and you want your colours to remain vivid.

Regarding the battle damage - I think some of the problem might be in that it seems you changed the approach . On your Intercessors you were doing battle damage by making dark markings which you later underlined with the highlight colour. On the Librarian, some scratches do not have this darker colour, which makes the scratches look like they were on the same level as edge highlights. And this makes the armour look flat. On a cloe-up, I can see that some of the markings on the Librarian have this type of 2-colours battle damage marks, but some don't.

Layering is a basic painting technique where you change colours by applying them in layers very close to one another to achieve a transition effect.
Stippling is a technique where you apply the paint in a jabbing motion (so striking the surface with the tip of your brush). This creates dots of colour which can blend together. Again, this is a way of achieving ta transition between colours.