Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Loishy's 1st and 5th compagny

Blood Angels blog

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

appiah5

appiah5

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,233 posts

About the pictures - I think you should have some kind of pictures edit option on your phone even - look for the 'exposure' as adjusting 'brightness' will just apply a film to everything and you want your colours to remain vivid.

Regarding the battle damage - I think some of the problem might be in that it seems you changed the approach . On your Intercessors you were doing battle damage by making dark markings which you later underlined with the highlight colour. On the Librarian, some scratches do not have this darker colour, which makes the scratches look like they were on the same level as edge highlights. And this makes the armour look flat. On a cloe-up, I can see that some of the markings on the Librarian have this type of 2-colours battle damage marks, but some don't.

Layering is a basic painting technique where you change colours by applying them in layers very close to one another to achieve a transition effect.
Stippling is a technique where you apply the paint in a jabbing motion (so striking the surface with the tip of your brush). This creates dots of colour which can blend together. Again, this is a way of achieving ta transition between colours.

Good points; the battle damage on the librarian appears more like surface scratches as if the armor was cleaned with a wire sponge rather than deep dents. It doesn't look like he got hit by a few Ork choppas, but more like he was the subject to concentrated fire from an Imperial Guard squad.  And as you pointed out, that is because there are no dark shadows to mimic a big dent.  Also, what I meant by layering and stipling is - the armor IS very flat, aside from basic shading there is no volume definition.  Which is fine, until you add the battle damage, but in the absence of any shadow gradients of surface texture it starts to look cartoonish.  Which, again, is fine by itself, but it doesn't mesh well with the hard boiled battle damage look.

Edited by appiah5, 04 March 2021 - 12:31 PM.

"Death before dishonor, nothing before coffee!"

gallery_60983_8363_3386.jpg

My Blood Angels Oldmarines
My Imperial Fists Primaris

Loishy

Loishy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts

About the pictures - I think you should have some kind of pictures edit option on your phone even - look for the 'exposure' as adjusting 'brightness' will just apply a film to everything and you want your colours to remain vivid.

I have these options, I have used them on the last photos, but I didn't find the right settings to get exactly what I want. I gave up after 20 minutes of research.

Regarding the battle damage - I think some of the problem might be in that it seems you changed the approach . On your Intercessors you were doing battle damage by making dark markings which you later underlined with the highlight colour. On the Librarian, some scratches do not have this darker colour, which makes the scratches look like they were on the same level as edge highlights. And this makes the armour look flat. On a cloe-up, I can see that some of the markings on the Librarian have this type of 2-colours battle damage marks, but some don't.

All battle damages have the two colours. But on a Kantor blue base, I must use Doombull Brown as darker colour, and it is not as visible as the skavenblight dinge on the red.

Good points; the battle damage on the librarian appears more like surface scratches as if the armor was cleaned with a wire sponge rather than deep dents. It doesn't look like he got hit by a few Ork choppas, but more like he was the subject to concentrated fire from an Imperial Guard squad.  And as you pointed out, that is because there are no dark shadows to mimic a big dent.  Also, what I meant by layering and stipling is - the armor IS very flat, aside from basic shading there is no volume definition.  Which is fine, until you add the battle damage, but in the absence of any shadow gradients of surface texture it starts to look cartoonish.  Which, again, is fine by itself, but it doesn't mesh well with the hard boiled battle damage look.

So is it possible to have a "cartoonish" style and battle damages that mesh well ? 

• Majkhel likes this

Sorry for my not very good English, I try to improve it.

appiah5

appiah5

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,233 posts
Yes but I think you need to try with less but more dramatic damage.

Edited by appiah5, 06 March 2021 - 10:12 AM.

Loishy

Loishy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts

Yes but I think you need to try with less but more dramatic damage.

Ok do you have some examples ?? 

Loishy

Loishy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts

I forgot to post him here, my first primaris captain. 

51013612001_a0d8415e7c_c.jpg 

51013701617_962d5a99ff_c.jpg

It was a special anniversary miniature or something like that. I don't remember well. 

• Aubéron, Burias-Drak'shal, Spyros and 2 others like this

Spyros

Spyros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 530 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Lovely captain!

Before the Indomitus box, I wanted that captain too but couldn't get him, it's a limited model.

But i found the power sword on the standard model weak, so I had to do something...

3rd company Captain A
3rd company Captain B

• Majkhel likes this

"Whatever the Blood Angels' flaws, nowhere in the Imperium can truer servants of the Emperor be found." , Blood Angels Codex 5th ed.
"Although feared and mistrusted by those they protect, the Blood Angels continue to smash the Imperium's foes, compiling a battle history second to none.", Dark Millenium 7th ed.

"You underestimate our cousins, skald. Their gold and jewels mask a killer’s soul, and we would do well to remember that.", Helik Redknife, VI Legion ‘Vlka FenrykaCaptain

My Blood Angels painting blog: http://www.bolterand...-painting-blog/

gallery_93095_13980_2976.gifgallery_93095_13980_1591.gifgallery_93095_13980_3726.gifgallery_93095_13980_27776.jpggallery_93095_13980_391.pnggallery_93095_13980_3345.pnggallery_93095_13980_612.pnggallery_93095_13980_5444.jpggallery_93095_13980_1407.jpggallery_93095_13980_14904.pnggallery_93095_13980_11439.png

Spoiler

Burias-Drak'shal

Burias-Drak'shal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 691 posts
  • Faction: Wordbearer
Loisy lovely work on the captain
gallery_43262_14432_13990.jpggallery_43262_14432_29483.jpg

Rhavien

Rhavien

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 231 posts
Really cool guy. I like the lighter red a lot and the cloak looks fantastic. Did you use weathering powder or is it brushwork?

Loishy

Loishy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts

Really cool guy. I like the lighter red a lot and the cloak looks fantastic. Did you use weathering powder or is it brushwork?

Thanks ! 

It's Brushwork, Drybrushing of Karak Stone then Drybrushing of Longbeard Grey

Loishy

Loishy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts

Hello ! 

Yesterday I finished this Techmarine. I painted this model in only 3-4 days for once. 

51199472041_a3d8d79f07_c.jpg

51199472036_ca7394f08a_c.jpg

51198761802_b2ceaf1dd5_c.jpg

It's the Forge World model in MK3 armor and with the head of a plastic chaplain. 

• Aubéron, Bjorn Firewalker, appiah5 and 3 others like this

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,339 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

glorious!

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,493 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent work on the Techmarine.
Previous projects: Wolves of Catachan (the Wolfbrothers Chapter reborn), Steel Crusaders (Codex: Iron Hands), Iron-hearted Angels (Codex: Blood Angels supplement).

Current projects: Knights of Renaissance (Star Wars: The Force Awakens Marines), Grim Knights of Grimm Nights (Red vs. Blue Marines).

appiah5

appiah5

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,233 posts

That's a great paintjob and the weathering looks a lot more believable to me!

Loishy

Loishy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts
This is my second Intercessor squad, the last Battleline squad in the core of my 5th company (Squads between 1 and 10). There may be other Battleline squads in the support squads (Squads between 11 and 20), certainly Heavy Intercessors. 

Initially I was hoping to finish this squad in july. But a friend asked me to paint something for him and my august and september were very busy months. 

51521780708_f4c3b333e7_c.jpg
51520741937_94fe07bd6c_c.jpg
51521780703_e35f570377_c.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Angels blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users