Want to start a Necron army

Lvlivs

Well, for an army, you cannot go wrong with an overlord for an HQ warlord.

I usually run mine with a lord with the veil of darkness, which you could use to re-position your lychguard with sword and board if they aren't needed to fight to keep your guns shooting.

Destroyers are excellent, as are wraiths, doomsday arks, and tesla immortals. Necrons as a whole give you incentive to run big squads to get the most out of reanimation protocols. Unless its meant to just hide and score objectives, max squad size is always best for necrons.

We tend to be CP hungry, no such thing as a cheap necron CP battery.

A basic Battalion i'd run is this, considering you want to use lychguard (which are also my favorite models)

Sautekh (1250 pts)

Overlord with Warscythe
Lord with Warscythe

x10 Tesla Immortals

x10 Tesla Immortals
x10 Tesla Immortals

x10 Lychguard with Swords and Shields

x4 Destroyers w/ x1 heavy destroyer

x1 Doomsday Arks

Ah, another Phaeron awakens to consider their holdings. Welcome!

Right now tesla Immortals buffed by Overlord(s) or Imotekh handling infantry with Doomsday Arks and Doom Scythes pulling anti-armour duty defines the competitive scene. Personally my lists all start with three squads of Warriors with a Cryptek and Lord looking after them for those critical Battalion command points. My Overlord only comes out when I use my sword and shield Lychguard, though I pretty much have to use the Veil of Darkness relic to keep them relevant. Several of my speedier opponents have straight up stopped engaging them unless I can trap units between my advancing infantry and the OL/LG appearing behind them; they are just too slow otherwise. That said I play the OL/LG combo in almost every game because I love those shields.

The more information you give us the better directed our advice can be. Here's some questions you can answer to help guide us:

What points level do you play at?

Are you trying to build a take-all-comers list or do you only face specific opponents?

Is there a style of play you're looking to focus on? eg. melee, gunline, alpha strike

While you’re thinking of your answers to NTaWs great questions (always a good start when asking for advice on a new army) I would ask how quickly are you looking to start your Necrons?

If you’ve got a couple of months I’d recommend waiting to see what they get in PA. It may be nothing, but it could be new stratagems and relics that open news combos or make some less utilized units/models more exciting.

But if you’re looking at starting sooner there’s nothing wrong with painting up some Warriors and Immortals. Maybe a cryptek or two.

Thanks for the tips guys!!

As for the questions

1. We usually play at 2000pts

2. I only face tau and space marines currently

3. I’m not exactly sure exactly what style I want to play. I looked a bit more and the mephrit code looks like it could be fun. So maybe a more shooting army with melee units to try and hold up the opponent.

I also really like the reanimating protocols and want to try and play around that if possible

I’m thinking of most likely getting into around January to February. Probably just pick up some warriors and a Cryptek in January for a 500 point list and go from there

Thank you all for your fast responses!!! If there is anything else I can answer that will help just ask away!

Edited by Lvlivs

Tau can be a little tricky with Shield Drones and SM have a whole host of cards up their vambrace's. If you want to capitalize on Reanimation Protocols, as has been said before, max sized units work great. Max sized Warrior units can be pretty weak against your opponents given the amount of shooting they can usually bring within 24" range, a Cryptek with chronometron is handy though maybe more for the buff to RP rolls. If you don't want to play the Immortal Pride warlord trait on a nearby character you can always save 2CP for the generic auto-pass morale but you're going to end up doing one or the other if the unit survives its first shooting phase in range of enemy troops.

I mentioned the core of my army, since I use Mephrit and Novokh I'll just share the gist of my list so you can glean what you can of a non-tournament list. From what I can recall this was what I played for a while before switching to 1750 (pre-CA2019):

Mephrit Battalion

Cryptek - chronometron

Lord - warscythe

10x Warriors

10x Warriors

10x Warriors

Triarch Stalker - particle shredder

6x Destroyers

Novokh Outrider

Overlord - voidscythe, Veil of Darkness; Crimson Haze

5x Lychguard - sword and shield

Nightbringer

5x Scarabs

5x Scarabs

6x Wraiths

Nihilakh Auxiliary

Doomsday Ark

I played a Doom Scythe up until I got a DDA ready for the tabletop. When it comes to one or the other the DDA seems to be the superior choice (and I really do love my Scythe). The OL//LG pretty much hide out of LoS until the Wraiths, Nightbringer, and Scarabs have gotten stuck in as a distraction for some easier charges in. I recommend using The Phaeron's Will stratagem to give both units +1 to their hit and charge rolls before using Veil. When I really need to be sure I put something down I use the Talent for Annihilation strat with Extermination Protocols on the Destroyers to give them all the re-rolls and extra attacks on hit rolls of 6.

Recently at 1750 I've switched to using a Destoryer Lord with the Voidreaper relic in place of the Overlord, dropping the Lychguard. Gotta say, despite being reluctant toward the idea at first I have really enjoyed it. The DL with the Nightbringer and Wraiths is a pretty deadly combo.

Not sure if my ramblings help but there they are! :thumbsup: ...and for the record I win just a liiiiittle bit more often than I lose :laugh.:

Edited by NTaW

Well, against Tau, I must say, my go-to is the Nephrehk Dynasty, using overlords to give my will be done to max sized tesla immortals, who advance 12 inches (5 base, +auto 6 on the advance, +1 for MWBD), and can get to those juicy drones without fail turn 1. Nobody expects 12 inch movement immortals, which still have Tesla on 6s. Then, with the suits vulnerable, veiled up destroyers, or doomsday arks tee off on the battlesuits.

Granted, they hurt us really bad too.
I'd say sword/board lychguard vs tau is a worst case scenario for them sadly however.