MOTF and Triple Land Raider Prometheus

L30n1d4s

Anyone else consider running this combo?

With the CA points drop, you can actually afford to take three Land Raider Prometheus (just over 240 points a piece, with all Wargear included) and a Techmarine and still have plenty of points for the rest of your army. Using the Master of the Forge upgrade and the "Master the Machine" WL Trait, the Techmarine not only can repair 3Ws a turn, but has a 6" aura giving all friendly Chapter Vehicles +1 to hit.

Combine this with a Chapter Master (with the Eye of Hypnoth Relic, so re-rolling all failed to Hit AND 1s to Wound), a Chaplain for some buffing Litanies, and three Land Raider Prometheus and you have the following:

-48W with T8 and a 2+ save 

-72 x S5 AP-2 Dmg1 shots that shoot at BS2+ (re-rollable) even when moving, that ignore cover and get extra free shots on unmodified 6s to Hit, that can re-roll any 1s to Wound, and that become Dmg 2 when targeting vehicles. 

-Against Astra Militarum/Ork horde style armies (T3/5+ save or T4/6+ save), they do an average of 63-64 unsaved wounds a turn (so 2 hordes of 30 Ork boys, or 6 squads of Guardsmen).

-Against MEQs (i.e. T4/3+ save), they do an average of 43-44 unsaved wounds a turn (so 4 maxed outTac squads, or two full squads of Intercessors/Helblasters).

-Against Centurions (i.e. T5/2+ save) they do an average of 23-24 unsaved wounds a turn (so, 6 dead Centurions)

-Against standard vehicles (T7/T8 3+ save) they do an average of 36-37 unsaved wounds a turn (so about 3 dead Wave Serpents or two dead Repulsors a turn)

-Against Chaos/Imperial Knights (i.e. T8 3+/4++ save) they do an average of 27-28 unsaved wounds (i.e. "one shooting" a Castellan)

-Against Eldar Ailatoc Flyers (i.e. T6 3+ save, -2 t Hit) they do an average of 28 unsaved wounds (i.e. two dead Flyers per shooting phase)

You can also buff individual Land Raider Prometheus with Tank Hunters and Bolter Drill Strats or the +1 to Hit/+1 to Wound Chaplain Litanies to make those specific units even more dangerous.

Finally, if you do include a Chaplain, you can use the IF "Fortress of Resolve" Litany, combined with the Chapter Master re-roll aura, to make all of the Land Raider Prometheus hit with 50% of their Overwatch shots (so an average of 12 x S5 AP-2 Dmg1 hits against each unit that charges them). 

Barebones, the entire "Battle Group" of a Chapter Master, Techmarine, Chaplain, and 3 Land Raider Prometheus runs 922 points, leaving you with over 1000 points for Troops, Centurions, TFCs, Eliminators, counter-assault units, and other competitive options for your force (NOTE: it should be pretty easy to get a double Battalion and a Spearhead, so 14 CPs, -2 for Chapter Master, -1 for Master of the Forge, leaving you with 11 CP to play with).

Edited by L30n1d4s

Nice. I hadn't clocked that these guys got a points drop. They're definitely something to consider for my Crimson Fists now. Somewhat less useful for Imperial Fists, as they already ignore cover. I wonder if some kind of successor would be better, as stealthy would be great for them in a meta that favours -2ap.

These look like an excellent place to hide Centurions too. I could get Pedro and 3 assault centurions in one.

I didn't even realise there was a Marine version of this, I thought it was just an Inquisition thing.

I fancied one as a gimic to sit next to Coteaz and shoot at anything that deepstrikes, shame the Marine version doesn't have the ORDO key word or having one in a Fist army with Coteaz would be utterly revolting!