Kastelan Robot army

Emicus

Against a enemy with a balanced army I think you are going to do some damage but loose out to objectives. Its too slow and has no objective secured.

Edited by Black_Knight

Dropping a Kastellan or two for Rangers/Vanguard in Duneriders might help offset the lack of range/obsec.

E.g.

2*3 Dakkastellans

2*2 Dakkastellans

6 Fistellans

2* Dunerider

X, Y Rangers/Vanguard

Dominus

And broadly, I don't think they're quite right to be domineering yet. They can damage tough stuff, but I'm not convinced they can avoid or deal with a lot of the shenanigans out there. Even basic ones like "crikey, that's a lot of guardsmen".

I expect it would be a lot of fun to try, and given the moderate but not insanely low model count, I hope it would probably a lot of fun to play and play against. Fast to play, y'know.

I don't think Kastellans have quite that effect in the meta right now. At the beginning of 8th they were a force to be reckoned with using WoM. But they are still paying for that sin today. The game has changed a lot since then. Players are better equipped for them too. 

A very big problem with admech is summarized in Kastelans. They are very good at one very specific thing. They can be shut down by simply touching them in CC. 

As others have said, it's a CP intensive unit as well. 

I would say if you're playing against some one, entirely for fun, and they aren't aware of these guys (you'd be surprised how unpopular Admech is) then you can catch someone unaware and completely flatten them. So there is that element of surprise.

Personally I love the unit, but I don't use it at all anymore (I have 6).

Remember folks rule of 3 is not a rule. Just a suggestion. 

After about a year of trying to get robots into my competitive list , I love mine ... but the following needs to be true for robots to work and that means sacrificing a lot from my pure Ad mech army .

1 You must be mars ... preferably with cawl and spending 2 cp a turn on wrath of mars

2 Your opponent must not have a smash captain , he is going to crush them back into sheet steel.

3 The mission must not actually involve moving ( i also hope you don't draw advance)

4 You have no better way to spend 400 points than on than Cawl and a spearhead ...
( knight , custodes , assassins , smash captains this list goes on )

5. You are playing on planet bowling ball , because a 36 inch range static unit is going to be useless if there is a good Los blocker on the table

The above means that they are of limited use to me ... I prefer 180 points of Sicarians for horde clearance / possible wrath of mars . A good opponent will know how to shut them down and everything from warlocks on jet bikes to random transports will try to lock you up .

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

Main problem I see with all kastellans is you have a high rate of fire, but are going to struggle against tanks/armour. AP -2 is ok but 1 damage a time is a struggle if getting through 10+ wounds (never mind knights)

WoM helps with this but its very CP intensive, and can only be done on 1 unit.

Las Predators for example will take fire from them all game whilst removing multiple bots a turn in return.

Saying that...would it be a fun list to run? Absolutely! And theres going to be some lists that just cant deal with that much T7.

Id be tempted to run them as stygies instead of Mars (but then I always do). Move some 9" before the game starts and hope the -1 to hit pays off.

Edited by DanPesci