Aothaine's Iron Hands Batreps and Blog

Aothaine

The Flesh is Weak

"Logic is the key to victory. It guides us, forms our thoughts. To think otherwise is heresy." - Iron Chaplain Josphuus Naehr

Hey everyone!

Going to be editing this in the future with batreps, list concepts, build & paint jobs as well as my random thoughts on Iron Hands. I will also have separate links here that spread out to other important topics throughout B&C and other websites as I gather them to keep them located in one place. As I said I'll be doing a lot of editing to get this post up to Iron Hands standards over the next few weeks/months. I hope to share my journey towards the machine with all of my friends and brothers, and even some xenos, in the future.

Iron Hands List Ideas

Blue Steel Paint Guide (Deathwatch Steel) - GW Paint Series

Painting Black - By Darren Latham (Units)

Painting Black - By Darren Latham (Characters)

Painting Faces - By Darren Latham (Characters)

Painting Ice Bases - By MarcoFrisoniNJM

Edited by Aothaine

Some people say to start small and work your way up. While I do agree with them for the most part, I am unable to comply. I am hoping to pick up one of my first HQs on the 23rd. I will be calling my local GW store tomorrow to verify if they have the model in stock. If not, I'll ask to have them order it so I can pick it up as soon as possible.

99800101006_TerminatorChaplainNEW01.jpg

Plan: This kit comes in resin and in four pieces. I really wanted to avoid resin but this model is very nice and I want it. I will be sculpting robotic limb replacements for the body with the goal being to have at least two of the limbs replaced with bionics. I am also going to be looking at sculpting optics on the skull helm as well. The optics will most likely be attached to the left side of the helm as the head is looking to the right. I need to look into how to make sure greenstuff sticks to resin. This will most likely require pinning which I'm fine with. I will be starting this project on Jan 1st 2020, funds permitting.

Order placed for my Terminator Chaplain and the colors I'll be needing to paint him up. Need to find my sculpting tool or swing over to the local hobby store and pick one up so I can start working on the custom sculpting when I get the miniature. Going to try something crazy and work on painting it up with that Darren Latham guide for characters above. I'm not in any rush as I will be building the army very slowly. Every Terminator in my army will have massive bionic replacements including the Librarian and the Chaplain.

I'll try to take as many pictures of the process as I can while I'm building everything. I already know that I will be forming some of the parts with wire and covering the wire with green stuff to get the look I'm going for. Pictures will be coming in the next few weeks.

• 8 months later...

Alright... drove the hour to my GW store to pick up Lieutenant Amulius and my first box of scouts for my Iron Hands. Going to start building the scouts tonight and hold onto Amulius for use later.

gallery_69175_16603_311902.jpg

Updates coming within the week!

Edit: My original list had all my scouts with missile launchers... I have updated the list for 9th with the current points through the GW app and have changed the missile launchers on the scouts to Heavy Bolters. I think killing infantry is going to be important and Heavy Bolters are not D2! I have also swapped out Whirlwind Missile Launchers off some of my speeders and replaced them with assault cannons. I forgot to purchase super glue this time around so I'll need to wait for a bit to put my Terminator Chaplain together still which is fine because I need to do some work on him to have him appear with more robot parts. He is going to be a project I'll be working on later after I learn how to paint in Las Vegas heat.

Anyway! It is good to be back! I hope everyone has been well and safe.

Edited by Aothaine

Maybe for the Scout Sgts. Not the normal scouts though. I will be building the Sgts last though as i need to get them all combi-meltas. So I'll have some time to figure out how I want to do this. This box will be 1 Heavy Bolter and 4 Astartes Shotguns same with the next two boxes and the last box of scouts will be 4 Sgts and 1 Heavy Bolter.

First two Scouts built. It is a slow process because my hands cramp as I'm trying to clean the models. But I'm finally making progress! If it isn't 90 degrees outside when I wake up I might be able to prime them too lol! We'll see.

med_gallery_69175_16603_202808.jpg

I have really bad vision. If I missed any flare I apologize. :D

Progress is progress! That’s what I’ve got to tell myself, even if it’s 1 mini built or 1 eye lens painted at a time. Love seeing shotguns on ‘em, such a rarity in 40k.

Progress indeed! Got my first Heavy Bolter Scout built yesterday. It is hard posing the Heavy Bolter I will need to check the instructions next time to make sure I'm using the right torso and legs. Right now he is shooting into the air. 

Also, Shotguns have always been something I was keen on using. It allows them to rapidly redeploy and still fire their guns. They have range 16" now if it wasn't a misprint. I kind of hope it was a misprint though because shotguns shouldn't be able to hit at 16" imho.

Looking good !

Thank you good sir! Hoping to get one of them primed up this weekend and get him lathered up with some paint. :D

Found an old firstborn that I had built years ago. Meet Brother Grymm.

sml_gallery_69175_16603_170696.jpg

He has one of those old metal robot arms! I was so happy when I found him. Edit: Just realize he is missing his backpack lol! I'll hopefully be able to ask my LGS if they have an extra backpack they don't need.

Next the first 5 Scouts are built. Below you'll see how I was having issues mounting the Heavy Bolter. I think what I will do next time is build and clean all the legs and torsos and mount them on the base. Then I'll work on the Heavy Bolter arms and see which body it fits the best on. Three more boxes of Scouts to go. I need to buy/find 6 Combi-Meltas for these boys, my Chaplain and my Librarian.

med_gallery_69175_16603_576322.jpg

I only have two spray primers I have Wraith Bone and Zandry Dust. I'm going to prime in Wraith Bone and then work on the armor. I'll share some progress as it is made!

Thank you everyone that is following along on my path to finally getting an army built lol!

Edited by Aothaine

I’ve never seen scouts with shotguns before - they look good.

If scouts are moved from troops to elites how will you modify your army list ?

Wait, what? Scouts are moving to elite?!? Dear lord I hope not.. it destroys my entire army concept.

Ohhh.... no! I really hope this is not true!

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/08/warhammer-40k-has-gw-tamed-marine-scouts.html

Edited by Aothaine

It would be a good way to phase them out. Rarely will someone pick scouts if they end up in elites.

Edit: Just re-read the article and the scouts are just close to the elites but the troops have always been followed by the elites. Well.. I have time before I need to buy my next box of scouts so I will know the answer before then. :D Here is hoping I can keep my First-born army dream team alive for competitive play in 2021 lol :D

Edited by Aothaine

Welcome Initiate Shurrgar! Slayer of Lydriik and son of Urloch!

med_gallery_69175_16603_196209.jpg

Still have to do the base, I want to try cleaning up the edging, and paint little black holes on the barrels. :D I'm pretty happy with it. I knew I was horrible at painting but he looks pretty damn good to me in person.

Edited by Aothaine

He looks awesome - love the camo pants ! :biggrin.:

Thank you good sir! I had forgotten how tiny everything is lol! Even with a magnifying glass I'm having difficulties. Also, it is so dry out here that my paint that I mix dries before I can even use it all. I think I need to get a wet pallet but for now I think I just need to keep mixing water into the paint after every brush of paint I use. I'll have to do some testing tonight.