What makes a model cool?

Héléade

Hello Brethren,

Sorry if my question looks naive but I was wondering what makes a model cool? I mean, if you put painting aside, what do you like about a figurine?

Because there are a lot of mini that we love or we dislike but why? I strongly invite you to post some picture as examples.

I think it will be interesting for the whole community B&C to get all the opinion about this topic.

I find this one cool, not because it is a store anniversary exclusive, but just because the way he holds his helmet, his posture. But I really dislike the ork with the chainsword. I mean, the chainsword breaks the visual harmony.

s-l225.jpg

Thank you very much to all participants.

I don’t really know how to describe it. Being detailed enough to break up the profile. Like on a guard model, if you do the muted tones or camo correctly, they disappear on the table, so being able to paint a relatively boring color like the krieg would be with spots that draw the eye like a rich leather, brass case, and light canvas is plus. If it’s space marines mark 3 represents this best. Instead of flat panels of solid color if you paint the underlayer in a metallic and the trim in a different color or metallic it gives the impression of intricacy without being too intricate.

Well that's a question that companies try to answer since forever and where the answer not only keeps changing but also is a different one for each individual person. It's also usually not just one thing but a combination of things so it's not really possible to name it just like that. ;)

Intricacy without being overly busy. A clean recognisable silhouette without being overly plain.

For example, consider a Repulsor vs a Land Raider - in my mind the latter is vastly cooler because it's not as cluttered, and has a nicer silhouette. That said, you can get the Repulsor to a similar place by leaving a bunch of the parts off of it - mine have no stowage boxes or turret grenade/auto launchers.

Well that's a question that companies try to answer since forever and where the answer not only keeps changing but also is a different one for each individual person. It's also usually not just one thing but a combination of things so it's not really possible to name it just like that. :wink:

Ahah! I think you're right but I also think that we can try to describe this combination. I mean, the head of a model is a very important part of it. Face is the way we use to identifiy someone or understand emotion. Probably more important than a foot.

I mean a good face, with heroic posture is probably a good start. For example: All power fist I saw (except on the new Abaddon, but it is not a powerfist) are ugly. Or maybe this one :

99800101072_ChaplainCroziusPowerFistNEW0

Edited by Héléade

For me it’s a lot of the above stuff that already mentioned in terms of balance of detail and silhouette.

Further than stock models though, the stuff I find cool is anytime someone does something new or what I wouldn’t have thought of. Anything that inspires me or gets me to try a new technique or way of thinking I find really cool.

It’s many different things for many different people, and no, there won’t be one unifying element that everyone can contribute. You will end up with a contributed list of “everything.”

So what makes a model cool? Depends on who you talk to. I disagree with some of the above, and agree with some of the above. The proportion doesn’t really matter except to me personally.

Composition and aesthetics. The model has to feel 'right' to me.

For example, one of my favorite models that I look at and don't have any desire to modify/kitbash in any manner is the Gotrek model for AoS. Because it perfectly captures EVERYTHING about the character.

only two for me

not being primaris

not being CAD designed

Regarding that last point: So that means.... You only like models that are from before the Dark Eldar range refresh? Because that's when GW started using CAD for everything (barring some of the characters iirc).....

Edited by Gederas

Cool = confident without trying to be.

Some models have either too much going on or not enough. They say the skill of an artist is knowing when to stop. A cool model shows something without going overboard. Above all else it just works. You can have some pretty whacky ideas, even for 40k, but if it has confidence in itself*, then it can sometimes just work.

As the OP pointed out, that Primaris LT leaning forward, holding his helmet could be cool as a "job well done" pose. But adding the chainsword + Ork maybe went a bit too far. Likewise, the Chaplain that @Heleade posted is simple and cool. If you had blood and guts dripping from the power fist, it would distract from the "come at me bro" cool pose.

Just my thoughts.

Likewise, the Chaplain that @Heleade posted is simple and cool. If you had blood and guts dripping from the power fist, it would distract from the "come at me bro" cool pose.

Very much this, it's why the recent obsession for GW adding sculpted energy effects really grinds my gears, it just doesn't improve the mini at all imo. The most recent example that springs to mind is the new Chaos Sorcerer. That model would be much better without the Eye of Horus floating above his palm.

Cool = confident without trying to be.

Some models have either too much going on or not enough. They say the skill of an artist is knowing when to stop. A cool model shows something without going overboard. Above all else it just works. You can have some pretty whacky ideas, even for 40k, but if it has confidence in itself*, then it can sometimes just work.

As the OP pointed out, that Primaris LT leaning forward, holding his helmet could be cool as a "job well done" pose. But adding the chainsword + Ork maybe went a bit too far. Likewise, the Chaplain that @Heleade posted is simple and cool. If you had blood and guts dripping from the power fist, it would distract from the "come at me bro" cool pose.

Just my thoughts.

Indefragable, do you think is it possible on a piece of a model? Like a head or a blade. If you think do you have an example of that?

Likewise, the Chaplain that @Heleade posted is simple and cool. If you had blood and guts dripping from the power fist, it would distract from the "come at me bro" cool pose.

Very much this, it's why the recent obsession for GW adding sculpted energy effects really grinds my gears, it just doesn't improve the mini at all imo. The most recent example that springs to mind is the new Chaos Sorcerer. That model would be much better without the Eye of Horus floating above his palm.

I pretty agree with you too, this model is cool but the Eye is too much. I am not such a fan of Haarken Worldclaimer, too much skulls, an ugly power fist and what a ugly face. The coolest part of the model is the dead primaris.

I have 4 "impact areas", 2 "at first sight" and 2 "on second sight". There is something more, but a lot resides there

-Wow factor: when you see a thing an you feel like saying: "Wow, that is beautiful" it is really difficult to describe in a rational manner but everyone experiences it sometimes, especially before "classical" art

-MAD factor: prominent in a lot of citadel miniatures, the awesome "over the top-ness" that makes you say: "WHAT I AM LOOKING AT???", hits you like a brick, more like Heavy Metal some contemporaneous art and so on

-Composition and details: the way the model is, the equilibrium between little touches the subtle decorations that give the general effect.

-Story: for me it's one of the most important aspect, some little clues that tell us a lot about the character represented in the miniature. Scars, pose, trademark items,  it's expression or lack of. 

Anyway I am being very superficial there

To my mind:

A cool mini should convey the feeling that they are doing something important.

The details on the mini are always very subjective, but creating a sense of indescribable meaning that causes the viewer to imagine what's happening is the key to coolness.

For non-vehicles the pose should be at the start or finish of the movement, not in the middle.

I agree with the avoidance of clutter, some personalized bits are great but too many things, like too many weapons detracts from the visual purpose. Example: Imho Razorbacks and Landraiders variants look cooler than Repulsor variants because the latter have far too much going on, their chassis' are awesome but they prickle with visually unfocused weaponry and as such the weapons lose their sense of importance.

It's really on a mini to mini basis in my opinion. Some need a re-build/re-imagining, others are pretty much there and need minimal work to really bring out their full potential.

gallery_154982_15357_254992.jpeg

Shameless plug, but stock Narik for me is 90% there, so I just gave him a different base and for me he is now 100%+ better. He tells the story of hard fighting, the alt AL colours on the amour pieces tie into his narrative. I was going to add a chainsword to his lower back, but decided against it as I felt it took away from the stance/ profile he already casts. I did my own sorc and DA for my IW's because they did not fit the image for IW's with the standard GW offerings in my mind. I strongly recommend orienting yourself with the lore of the faction you are doing, the art. It helps immensely with your building + painting. If the model can tell a story after its finished, then you have succeeded with it IMO.

I'd say pretty much anything that different than the basic marine, such as poses and armor types. I tend to get a bunch of different like captain and sergeants and convert them to DW with the left shoulder pad and call it a day. My painting skills are mediocre at best but they're table top quality but I'm learning more and more the more I paint. I also look and see if I can see what the sprue looks like to see if I can do any other different types of conversions. Alot of my Watch Sergeants are these types of models, usually with combi weapon + power sword/axe or storm bolter.

I am struggling to condense my opinion into something concise but I will offer examples.

I think currently the coolest model I can think of is the new Mephiston model. He simultaneously trumps the original model by being more detailed and more dynamic yet calls back to his original 2nd edition artwork. He is simultaneous fresh yet has a powerful nostalgic element.

One of the examples I can think of that I don't think fits is the Centurions kit. The models look so bulky it looks like moving across a battlefield would be impossible for them without falling over. They have far too many weapons for an infantry model including missiles or bolters either side of the torso. Any incoming fire that hits those is instantly going to liquefy the marine inside. Also a minor niggle about the devastator versions is that they appear to be armed with power mittens. Not cool. I think the design of these models was trying to out-do everything else, more armour, more guns, it just comes off as a mess to me. I prefer Primaris Aggresors because they retain space marine silhouette just with reinforced armour and more prominent weapons. Like the oversized guns or not, They look like an up-armoured space marines rather than a door with legs.

Generally the pose is what does it for me. The details etc are important but the pose makes or breaks a model.

If it’s a known character the pose needs to sum up what we know abou their character whilst also looking natural. If it’s a generic, unknown character it needs to be telling you what that character is like.

It also needs to be well executed by the sculptors. A good pose idea is useless if it looks like the arm is bent at slightly the wrong angle for example.

For me? It's when the designers have the judgement to say, "That's enough cool features. No more."

Sometimes, less is more, y'know?

Absolutely, there is nothing worse than overly decorated models. Overkill has ruined the dark angels for me. I love their lore and history but struggle with the majority of their models. Heresy marines were a breath of fresh air when they came out at first.

I always find the coolest models to be ones who are in a more restrained pose than in the middle of a fight. The Captain from Space Marine Heroes series 1 is a good example of this (and one of my favourite sculpts!). It’s almost like they are contemptuous of the fighting going on around them. Abaddon to a lesser degree is another example and I think we all agree that that’s an awesome sculpt!

The cool non fighting poses are often the "Follow me" or the, 'Scanning for targets' or the 'Come at me Bro", or the "En Guard" ones.

Each, done well forces the imagination to create the scene.