What makes a model cool?

Héléade

Inquisitor Solomon Lok has my vote for my absolute all time favourite model. He is cool beyond words and I want to be him. The half hidden face the long leather coat with detail peaking out from behind the layers, brilliant.

Armillus Dynat Harrowmaster is my favourite marine model and pose. A cool calm warrior surveying the field.

This may be pretentious, but meh.

The old way: Start with some inspiration, looking at in house art from Blanche, England, Clint Langley, then build something beautiful and unique using hands and skills gained through hours and hours of practice and natural talent. Spend a long time considering the pose, knowing that the physical medium limits what you can create and you'll probably need to sketch out your concept at the very least.

The new way: Log into software program, select pose of existing model and adjust slightly. Copy and paste skulls and studs from other models. Change the shape of the rock it's standing on so that it's not too obvious that Korsarro Khan and Tigurius are practically the same sculpt. Consider adding a helmeted head option but then realise it's 20 minutes to lunch time so call it done and get to the pub.

Interesting question, I think for me what makes a model cool is a good concept well executed. There have been plenty of examples where the concept was floored but the sculpt was ok centurions for one, and examples of a good concept poorly executed like the old metal Obliterators. The new plastic Obliterators for me at least are cool where the old ones were not. Same concept but a far better sculpt.

My all time favourite model from GW is the Realm of Chaos champion of Slaanesh.

gallery_92760_16006_247123.jpeg

Now this was a great concept and sculpted with a level of character that I find lacking in a lot of modern sculpts despite the limitations of a one piece model from a flat mould. Apart from the inevitable scale creep that has plagued GW I think it still stands up to any modern model from a “cool” factor.

Anyway, thanks for raising an interesting discussion point.

Cheers

Vogon.

Entirely subjective, what I love you may think is pants, and vice versa. For example I love Centurions, Storm Ravens and Inceptors, models I know a lot of people hated, atleast when they first can out, but absolutely hate the Chaplain and Captain that came out in 2013, the Primaris Chaplain and Librarian and Aggressors. The latter of which pains me as from a rules/crunch perspective, they're :cuss ing awesome, but I will never field Aggressors as I think the are butt :cuss ing ugly. Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

Entirely subjective, what I love you may think is pants, and vice versa. For example I love Centurions, Storm Ravens and Inceptors, models I know a lot of people hated, atleast when they first can out, but absolutely hate the Chaplain and Captain that came out in 2013, the Primaris Chaplain and Librarian and Aggressors. The latter of which pains me as from a rules/crunch perspective, they're :censored: ing awesome, but I will never field Aggressors as I think the are butt :censored: ing ugly.

It amuses me that we appear to have almost exact opposites in taste (apart from Inceptors, I like those as well), but it's nice that Games Workshop have managed to produce miniatures that somebody finds cool even if they have differing tastes. I would argue that most of the models they produce now are well made from a technical standpoint even if they don't appeal to everybody. For example I think the space marine fliers look like they have been covered in glue and rolled through a bits box because they have so many random guns stuck to them but I wouldn't say the model quality sucks. It's just not my cup of tea. It's not like we're talking about Captain Cortez here. *shudder*

Entirely subjective, what I love you may think is pants, and vice versa. For example I love Centurions, Storm Ravens and Inceptors, models I know a lot of people hated, atleast when they first can out, but absolutely hate the Chaplain and Captain that came out in 2013, the Primaris Chaplain and Librarian and Aggressors. The latter of which pains me as from a rules/crunch perspective, they're :cuss ing awesome, but I will never field Aggressors as I think the are butt :cuss ing ugly.

It amuses me that we appear to have almost exact opposites in taste (apart from Inceptors, I like those as well), but it's nice that Games Workshop have managed to produce miniatures that somebody finds cool even if they have differing tastes. I would argue that most of the models they produce now are well made from a technical standpoint even if they don't appeal to everybody. For example I think the space marine fliers look like they have been covered in glue and rolled through a bits box because they have so many random guns stuck to them but I wouldn't say the model quality sucks. It's just not my cup of tea. It's not like we're talking about Captain Cortez here. *shudder*
Indeed no one can honestly say that every miniature big or small that’s come out lately isn’t well designed and manufactured, if I had to put finger on when they really upped their game I’d say around the time they released Naggash, and like you said not all minis are going be likes by all people, but that’s fine as we all have differing tastes. Some older minis look grand too, even if the technical know how wasn’t there back then. Space Hulk terminators, especially Sgt Lorenzo, and the broodlord from the same set are fantastic even though they lack slightly compared to their more modern counter parts. Some of the old vehicles look great too, like the Mks III land raider/redeemer/crusader and the bane blade, even though because of their age they’re a nightmare to put together. Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

For me? It's when the designers have the judgement to say, "That's enough cool features. No more."

Sometimes, less is more, y'know?

Yes, thats one of the basic decissions some models need.

The problem is, thats something that doesnt work with management.

A friend of mine works in the gameing / film music business.

He told me it works basically like his:

Artist: "I am finished."

Management: "Its ok, but it needs more."

Artist: "What exactly does it need."

Management: "Dont know, just more."

Artist. "Ok, tell me what you want."

Management: "Just simply more, go back to work."

Most time i feel, they GW used some guy who can use a computer and try to make him an artist, while other companies gave their artists new tools.

Thats how you end up with something like this:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics16/img5be1b9a164c96.jpg

The walking skull curtain.

For me? It's when the designers have the judgement to say, "That's enough cool features. No more."

Yes, thats one of the basic decissions some models need.

The problem is, thats something that doesnt work with management.

A friend of mine works in the gameing / film music business.

He told me it works basically like his:

Artist: "I am finished."

Management: "Its ok, but it needs more."

Artist: "What exactly does it need."

Management: "Dont know, just more."

Artist. "Ok, tell me what you want."

Management: "Just simply more, go back to work."

Most time i feel, they GW used some guy who can use a computer and try to make him an artist, while other companies gave their artists new tools.

Thats how you end up with something like this:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics16/img5be1b9a164c96.jpg

The walking skull curtain.

I actually like that model. Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

For me a model is cool when it conveys emotion. It doesn't matter what that emotion is, but it has to be there.

For example, I actually like the new Shrike model perched on the wall. It conveys a sense that he is pausing for a second to survey the area as he navigates the battlefield. Some people don't like the wall because they don't think he would just stand there, but I interpreted it differently.

I also like the Reiver Lieutenant model.

It also needs enough detail to look realistic, but not so much that it crosses into cartoonish.

For me, how well was the concept executed? Does it use subtlety, imagination and creatively, executed competently? 

Look at, say, the Death Korps; they're a simple concept, WW1 IN SPAAAAAACE. 

For the DKoK, the designers looked at the uniforms of every fighting nation in WW1, and combined elements thereof into a finished "design language" that the range would use. Furthermore, their different units often use fairly understated postures; the commander is surveying the field with confidence like half the dramatic paintings of the Great War, the Engineers are advancing while hunched over, lowering their silhouette, hell, they even have infantry at least that would be well suited to any trench photography. 

In the end, you have a clear, coherent vision executed with talent that avoids being too derivative, resulting in a model range which is, what, 15 years old now, but still absolutely adored. 

This means you dislike a great deal of the classic Astartes kits, and the chapter specific kits also.

In a way I'm the same. It's why I invested heavily in the Horus Heresy prior to Primaris. The general infantry and vehicles weren't drowned in bling.

When I look at recent models, it's hard to argue against the fact that the basic Intercessor is one of the better designed model kits. Elegant, memorable, clean.

Edited by Ishagu

I find this one cool, not because it is a store anniversary exclusive, but just because the way he holds his helmet, his posture. But I really dislike the ork with the chainsword. I mean, the chainsword breaks the visual harmony.

s-l225.jpg

1. Pose

2. Face

3. Features - eg the talons on the 2002 raptors are features but most scrolls, skulls etc aren’t, instead they are decoration. Not a strict distinction

So, this might be biased, but the new Lazarus model is a "cool" model to me:
84cc9340.jpg

SqDrQfH-ZQk.jpg

He basically has everything necessary for him to read as a Dark Angels character, while also being not overly-blinged out (which is when a model starts to look goofy to me). He manages to hit every "This is a Dark Angels character" box. Robes, the angel iconography, the distinct quillions design Dark Angels have (could have also done their unique blade tip, but hey), censers, daggers....

Edited by Gederas

I think one big part of making a cool model that hasn't been brought up so much is silhouette. The overall visual "shape" of a model can really make or break its cool factor. When I'm building my minis I like to hold them against a bright light source so I can just see the silhouette/outline to make sure it looks right. I couldn't tell you precisely what makes a good silhouette, but it's one of those "you know it when you see it" things.

Other things that make models "cool" IMO:
>Balance of detail. So not too much, or too much in one place, but also not too little. To be honest, a lot of the newer Primaris models actually get this pretty spot on, with just enough smooth surfaces that the overall model isn't overwhelmed (the vehicles, less so).

>Verisimilitude. Obviously, 40K runs on rule of cool, but getting the right balance between RoC and some level of credibility is hard. Using aircraft as an example (because I do love me some things with wings) the Marauder, whilst patently absurd as an actual aircraft, somehow looks right even though there is no way on Earth that thing could fly. Similar story with the Arvus Lighter. Contrast with the Storm Talon, which looks less like an implausibly cool cold war bomber and more like a toy.

>How well it fits in the setting. Obviously what makes something "40K" is hugely subjective and ever-evolving, but again it's a "you know it when you see it" thing. Just covering something in skulls doesn't make something 40K. One example of a model I love but don't think is particularly good as a 40K model is the Invictor Warsuit. As a mecha design it's pretty neat, but it somehow doesn't feel like it really fits in with the 40K look. Likewise, that skimmer transport from FW for the Sisters of Silence. Awesome, awesome model, but somehow the overall look of the thing isn't quite right in a way I can't quite explain. Though I will say, I kinda want one to paint in Chris Foss inspired colours.

One example of a modern model I think hits all the right notes is actually Tor Garadon.

99120101258_SMIFTorGaradon01.jpg

He has the right balance of rule of cool (giant power fist, reminding me of that 3rd edition Crimson Fists art incidentally) with some level of verisimilitude (not coated in weapons and reliquaries). Good silhouette, a nice stoic pose that's neutral enough to look right in most situations but active enough to look like he's at home on the battlefield. And very, very 40K, between the previously mentioned power fist and the tilt shield, and also the face which looks like it's straight out of a Wayne England (RIP) piece. He's easily one of my favourite modern Space Marine models and whilst I won't be starting Imperial Fists any time soon, I feel he may have to be the foundation of a Chaos conversion just because he's such a nice looking model.

If we are going to post examples of recent models we think are cool then I'm coming out of the left and say for me this one is a cool model.

DKjSogQWkAAe6eV.jpg

Even without any fancy details he manages to look cool to me just by the pose. Details can help a lot with making a model look cool but they aren't necessary.

On the other hand this one, despite being almost the same model, looks all wrong to me due his pose so is extremely far away from cool for me:

99070101027_Telermon01.jpg

Its all about the appearance/aesthetics/pose.

I get flak about the performance restrictions on my stormhawk interceptor in 8th edition (compared to how good it was in 7th) over running it as a storm talon. but I really don't care because the thing looks so darn good to me.

Edited by mughi3

Almost every one of the Imperium flyers is a cool model to me.

They almost universally have a sense that whoever built them decided to ignore any conventional aerodynamics and make up for it with more powerful engines. Because anything will fly if you put enough thrust into it.

And it makes sense in a way. Almost everything technological has been forgotten and/or surrounded by superstition. It follows that they wouldn't understand the intricacies of aerodynamics anymore.

Won't fly? More power!

I get the feeling that most of the Imperium's flyers are stupid fast in a straight line but don't maneuver well at all.

Edited by Claws and Effect

Almost every one of the Imperium flyers is a cool model to me.

They almost universally have a sense that whoever built them decided to ignore any conventional aerodynamics and make up for it with more powerful engines. Because anything will fly if you put enough thrust into it.

And it makes sense in a way. Almost everything technological has been forgotten and/or surrounded by superstition. It follows that they wouldn't understand the intricacies of aerodynamics anymore.

Won't fly? More power!

I get the feeling that most of the Imperium's flyers are stupid fast in a straight line but don't maneuver well at all.

People always seem to forget that most of the Space Marine flyers also have anti-grav plates which would help with the "can't actually fly" problem, so it wouldn't even require as much power to stay in the air as one might think.

Also make no mistake, the AdMech is full of superstition, but they aren't idiots. They do understand things like aerodynamics and probably other things our enginees don't know of. However the STC says to build it that way and the Machine Spirit seems happy that way so they keep doing it that way regardless of whatever knowledge database in their brains says.

Good anatomy, unique designs for characters (not yet another completely generic slightly reposed Intercessor), the right balance of cleanness and details (Shrike fails both the unique design and details aspect) and above all else, visual storytelling.

There's a middle ground between well-executed but overly safe (Howling Banshees, which are fine but a 1:1) and art-student vomit (half the Primaris range) and the Sisters, GSC, and sculpts like Abaddon fall into that safe zone.

Intercessors are a godawful design as poster children for/ generic marines but frankly are the least awful of the Primaris range even if their design is an overly contrarian grab bag of elements that don't quite fit together. But at least they're not standard Reivers.

Edited by Lucerne

Good anatomy, unique designs for characters (not yet another completely generic slightly reposed Intercessor), the right balance of cleanness and details (Shrike fails both the unique design and details aspect) and above all else, visual storytelling.

There's a middle ground between well-executed but overly safe (Howling Banshees, which are fine but a 1:1) and art-student vomit (half the Primaris range) and the Sisters, GSC, and sculpts like Abaddon fall into that safe zone.

Intercessors are a godawful design as poster children for/ generic marines but frankly are the least awful of the Primaris range even if their design is an overly contrarian grab bag of elements that don't quite fit together. But at least they're not standard Reivers.

Wait..... So you're saying that Shrike, who has the most unique design of all of the new Primaris'd characters, fails the "unique design and details" aspect? Seriously, out of all of the new characters, barring Tor Garadon, Shrike is the most unique out of all of them.

Sir, I think you're just hating on Primaris to hate on Primaris right now with that post.....

Edited by Gederas

Wait..... So you're saying that Shrike, who has the most unique design of all of the new Primaris'd characters, fails the "unique design and details" aspect? Seriously, out of all of the new characters, barring Tor Garadon, Shrike is the most unique out of all of them.

Sir, I think you're just hating on Primaris to hate on Primaris right now with that post.....

Amazing. Everything you just said was wrong.

Shrike is literally a badly posed reiver with random bits glued on and has zero continuity with the real Shrike design. He's unique only in that he manages to fail both at being a unique design (call him a generic- if badly designed and cluttered- RG reiver HQ and no one would have noticed anything odd about the label, which is never a good sign for a character you're translating that has an established design) and has gaudy, badly designed details plastered on with no real thought to how it affects the profile. In other words, the worst of all worlds.

https://i.redd.it/q4z42ukb6aj31.jpg

https://miniset.net/files/set/gw-99800101060-0.jpg

These two have nothing in common in terms of visual profile, obvious design elements, "storytelling" elements, pose...and the "update" is worse in every way.

Compare what they did for Shrike with what they did for Calgar.

Edited by Lucerne

Personly i prefer the old Shrike too.

I dont like the masked face of the new Shrike, its to much Winter Soldier / pop culture reference for for me that doesnt realy fit.

Thats something other sculptors / artists from GW had done better.