Preceptor and Point drop

BaronBanana

I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Yes it is too random.... as a fire support base. However its points, and ability to be a threat in CC is still significant. 

I think it depends on how you're using it. Before the point drop I put it in my Admech as a deterrent in mid level games. (Not top level stuff we're talking here.) 

But the secondary function of providing a reroll 1 aura to Armigers is pretty good. It's so hard to get any real re-roll effect for Knights. If you plan on using any armiger type, I think this is where the point value drop becomes attractive.

Because of the random element of the main gun, it will probably never be a staple in high competitive scenarios. (The Chaos variant is actually worse imo.)

In a nutshell this unit works for me because:

1- I play in a tough enough environment that using straight Admech is definitely hard mode. But I don't want to be basically a "knight army" with 3 Skorpius'.  (Plus I think Knights should be an inherent part of Admech!)

2- A Knight army without a superheavy (I believe) does not get CP. This is an easy way to get a big Knight in, add in 2 suitably armed Armigers and you're getting 3CP for it.

3- The Preceptor is a good place holder. What I mean by this is it's flexible enough and just in that price point where you can figure out what your weak areas are, and perhaps pull the Knight to go pure admech with all of those points. This should add up to a substantial gap filler. (I don't mind the Knight, but I admit it is a 'placeholder' for more competitive options.)

4 - You want to play a Knight, but you might be in an environment where it could be viewed as 'too potent'. Let's be honest, this is an entry level knight. This isn't the rampager roaring across the field in T1 trying to get a devastating T1 assault off that puts your opponent on his backfoot for 3 turns. Nor is it the castle that can lay waste to your opponent's gunline on the other side of the table.

That's always been my take on the Knight. It's not great, and a point drop isn't going to make it great, but it fits a mid target value I think keeps it 'fun' and lets you get your feet wet. The Armiger aura is mandatory to keep it plausible in mid level games imo. (IE: No Armigers = no Preceptor.) Chaos Wardogs are slightly better though, so I think they get a bit more mileage out of said aura, but their Desecrator main gun is absolute trash.

That's good information to know. With the price of Gallants going up, I was thinking of running a Preceptor w/ Helm Dominatus with two Veuglaire Moiraxes in one detachment, then double crusader and gallant in another. I'll give it a go, I'm not competitive by any means, but I do like the Preceptor gun look

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is great news for me.  I have a Preceptor in my list and even tho most have been down on it, i have stuck with it.  Now i get a pay off. I have not done particularly well with the Perceptor but i felt it was mostly bad play on my part.  My opponents have focused them down and ive deployed them like a newb.  These are fixable though.  Anouther bonus is i added 2 warglaives i received for Xmas.  All 3 combiend for a nice point saving.  I can now afford some better soup ingredients.