Greetings from Overwhelming Odds! Where military insights a

Overwhelming Odds

Happy Holidays! I am the founder and author of a new site, Overwhelming Odds.  The goal of this site is to bring military methodology, doctrines, principles, and military perspectives to Warhammer 40K.  This is where you will find strategic insights and original content, found nowhere else.  I promise that each and every day, you will find something thought provoking and of real value.

My background

Here is a quick snapshot of my qualifications, expertise, and background, which I hope to share with you a little each day. I served 16 years in the United States Air Force, comprised of an exceptional career in the Intelligence career field serving in the highest echelons of command. For example, I spent four years working at the headquarters of one of the major combatant commands.  I have tremendous experience in mission planning, battlefield analysis, and information dominance.

What you can expect

I have a talent for deconstructing information and scenarios to their basic components, then analyzing and exploiting all aspects. I want to demonstrate and bring awareness to military concepts and processes to dramatically improve your game-play and enjoyment of Warhammer 40K. That is the core purpose of this site.  Topics will cover everything from list-building to post-game analysis and everything in-between. I can guarantee you will always learn something. I promise to deliver you quality content that will enhance game-play and your overall experience.  You will command not just your army, but the battle itself.  That is the goal and mission of Overwhelming Odds.

What is available now?

The moment the site went live, I had already completed a 10-part primer that gives an overview of the material you can expect to see.  Link is below for part one of that series:

https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/40k-list-building-from-a-military-intelligence-perspective-part-1-of-10/

Starting today, and everyday afterwards, new content will be available daily for every type of 40K enthusiast. One such content is a weekly caption/meme contest.  Additionally, my photo gallery has over 60 images of recent games, and is growing rapidly. Lastly, there is an opportunity to have anything you ever wanted depicted visually in regards to an aspect of 40K, completed for free, This is open to the first 30 people who leave a comment/request on the relevant article, found here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/visualizing-aspects-of-warhammer-40k/  Check out the article for some ideas!

What is on the horizon?

There is a lot coming very soon, as I plan to bring you an insane amount of content:

• In depth military theories with real application, in game, including videos and photos
  • Strategic insights and the thought processes behind them
  • Simple checklists for creating a military mindset when approaching all aspects of 40K
  • Resources like PowerPoint files for practicing terrain setup, objective placement, deployment, reserve strategies, and much more
  • Giveaways, competitions, polls, and more
  • Something for everyone. There is no bias here. The information will help everyone and every army.

Here is a list of future topics you can expect to see:

• Synergistic effects
  • Art of anticipation
  • Using leverage
  • Timing and synchronizing
  • Tempo
  • Operational reach
  • Forces and function
  • Creating balance
  • Lines of operations - sever or maintain
  • Arranging operations
  • Centers of gravity
  • Decisive points
  • Decisive places
  • Priority
  • Concentration and mass
  • Flexibility and versatility
  • Initiative and momentum
  • Objective
  • Seize vs. retain
  • Reinforce
  • Economy of force
  • Maneuver and mobility
  • Offense/offensive positions/going on the offensive
  • Defense/defensive positions/holding a position
  • Surprise
  • Simplicity
  • Focus and perspective
  • Purpose
  • Destroying the enemy's ability to fight
  • Decisive victories
  • Exploiting opportunities/weaknesses
  • Disruption
  • Denial
  • High ground
  • Every part of your force must have purpose
  • Reducing vulnerabilities
  • Knowledge of your enemy
  • Planning
  • Secure before you push
  • Adaptability
  • Terrain
  • Target priority
  • Avenues of approach
  • Psychological operations/misdirection/false Info/game state/pregame stratagems
  • Situational Awareness
  • Information superiority
  • Decision superiority
  • Sacrificial units
  • Expanding or reducing the area of operations
  • Information known and information gaps
  • Controlling engagements
  • Distractions
  • Bluffs
  • Walking around the battlefield/you are the UAV/recon/opponent’s view
  • Forcing bad decisions
  • Rules of engagement/knowing the rules
  • Initial engagement/most desirable
  • Deployment vs. counter deployment
  • Joint operations/sometimes other assets do it better – Mixing armies
  • Exercises/training/practice
  • Dual roles
  • Unit size matters
  • Matrix/checklists/rating your army
  • Stratagems
  • Commander’s intent
  • Essential units and operations
  • Distribution of weapons and abilities
  • Sowing chaos/exaggerated threat priority
  • Long game vs. tit-for-tat play style
  • Patience and discipline
  • Movement concepts - Pincer, spearhead, flank

How can I help?

I greatly appreciate any and all feedback.  You can help me shape and mold this site into something you want to see and read. Don’t pull punches, be blunt, and dark humor/sarcasm is always a plus! I have thick skin and love praise, so all comments, constructive or otherwise provide valuable insight into my readership.

Where can I find Overwhelming Odds?

Currently, you can find Overwhelming Odds on the following platforms:

Facebook:           https://www.facebook.com/overwhelmingodds40k/

Twitter:              https://twitter.com/40kOdds

Youtube:             Coming soon!

Pinterest:            Coming soon!

A serious thank you!

Thank you for giving me your incredibly valuable time and reading all this.  I know there are millions of things competing for your time and I promise to never waste yours.

V/r,

Dan Hogue

Edited by Overwhelming Odds

Been thinking about new means of using layered defences and offences but tactics for hyper elite armies get limited quickly both by unit options and points.

Apoc is where I am finding the most tactical flexibility with the only limitation I dislike being the sort of command bubble range holding units together.

Are your articles going to ever touch on apoc as a means of expanding to larger battle scapes and the tactics to use there?

Been thinking about new means of using layered defences and offences but tactics for hyper elite armies get limited quickly both by unit options and points.

Apoc is where I am finding the most tactical flexibility with the only limitation I dislike being the sort of command bubble range holding units together.

Are your articles going to ever touch on apoc as a means of expanding to larger battle scapes and the tactics to use there?

Hellex_The _Thanatar,

Great question! My intent is to convey information from a military mindset, which is applicable to not only 8th edition 40K, but also APOC and Kill Team.  There are small differences in these formats, but the way I approach the overall theories and military concepts, I try to ensure it applies to all three formats.  In my experience, the simplified nature of APOC makes it easier to create strategies and execute tactics.  This is due in part to the greatly reduced variables in game play, game state, and unit abilities.  Kill team is the inverse, as it's rule set greatly complicates strategies and tactics.  

This is great feedback because I will ensure that I use examples and visualize for all three formats when possible, and elaborate more when there are discrepancies.  

If you would send me a list, I would be happy to tear it apart to it's basic parts and analyze it as I would any other real world mission and force structure.  I can give quantifiable and qualitative feedback so it is not just some guy's opinion. :wink: Any additional information  you can provide helps increase context and analysis on my end.  Such as:

What size battlefield you are using

Point levels

Typical opponent type and force structure

Desired play-style

Types of mission/s preferred/expected

Lastly, I want to at least take a stab at giving you a good answer up front.  In Apoc, I think utilizing a "hub and spoke" deployment strategy is critical since you are so dependent on that aura.  I would incorporate a form of 3 layered defense into that "hub and spoke".  Imagine a hexagon, with 2 points out front, 2 points in the middle, and 2 points in back.  Your commander sits in the middle, able to cover down on all 6 points of the hexagon.  Place your defensive, shorter range units up front, your counter assault units in the middle, and the long range firepower in the rear.  The assault elements in the middle can flex forward or backward to support either element (push the attack, add defense, or support as rear guard).  Utilize the terrain to channel forces into your defensive lines.  This should enable a highly flexible and adaptable force that can break apart either by front, middle, or rear elements, or in two similar halves. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Once again, thank you for the comments and questions!

V/r,

Dan

Happy holidays to everyone!  The next daily article has been posted.  Chapter Approved 2019 had fortification updates so I took the opportunity to analyze and expand on what they can provide. 

Link to the article here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/fortifications/

As always, let me know if it was beneficial and any other feedback you feel like providing.  

V/r,

Dan

Happy Holidays to one and all!  Today's article is the start of a 3-part series on "Deployment and Counter Deployment".  

Link to the article here -->https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/deployment-and-counter-deployment-part-1-of-3/

As always, let me know if you find it beneficial or want to provide feedback. 

Lastly, I offer a sincere thank you to everyone who has commented.  Creating a new site, with the quantity and quality of content I want to achieve, is daunting to say the least.  Your kind words have been incredibly motivating.  I am humbled by the positive reception so far!

May you always create overwhelming odds in your next battle!

V/r,

Dan

Happy Holidays to one and all! Today's article is the start of a 3-part series on "Deployment and Counter Deployment".

Link to the article here -->https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/deployment-and-counter-deployment-part-1-of-3/

Lastly, I offer a sincere thank you to everyone who has commented. Creating a new site, with the quantity and quality of content I want to achieve, is daunting to say the least. Your kind words have been incredibly motivating. I am humbled by the positive reception so far!

V/r,

Dan

Wow. This is the first article I sat down to read in full, and it's very useful. I was honestly skeptical because normally folks who claim to apply military thinking to 40k just throw out acronyms like OPFOR and BAMCIS and think it does something.

Your article actually uses mathematical and geometric analysis as a basis, which makes sense in a tabletop game.

Leave it to you S-2 types to always surprise us. Bookmarked!

Holiday cheer and best wishes for everyone!  Today's article is the continuation of a 3-part series on "Deployment and Counter Deployment".  

I have decided that part 2 needed to be separated into parts 2A and 2B.  I truly felt there was too much information for a single article.  I want to be comprehensive and not leave anything out due to my timetables.  Check out the article and you will see what I mean!

Link to the article here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/deployment-and-counter-deployment-part-2a-of-3/

Additionally, I wanted to thank ShinyRhino for the glowing endorsement in the post above. It boosts my motivation that much more to keep putting out the best content I can.  

I will also be making my rounds throughout Bolter & Chainsword, engaging with the community on multiple topics and subjects.  I actually do play 40K quite a lot and would love to share and participate with you all.

Again, thanks for all the support!

V/r,

Dan

Merry Christmas Eve and Christmas!  Today's article is the last in a 3-part series on "Deployment and Counter Deployment".  Not only does this article wrap up, in style, the series, but it also includes extra content.  One of my readers requested some graphics visualizing charge moves from reserves.  There were a couple more requests along those lines as well.  It was perfect timing as it blended perfectly with the current topic of deployments.  Check it out here --->

https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/deployment-and-counter-deployment-part-3-of-3/

Lastly, tomorrow, there is going to be a big reveal of content, that I think every member can find a use for, to enhance game play!  Be sure to check out my Christmas present to the community under my resources page.  Hint: It will be a PowerPoint file unlike any you have ever seen...

If you have been following my articles, you may have an idea from all the graphics I produce ;)

Once again, Happy Holidays and best wishes for you and yours!

V/r,

Dan

Just cranked through prt3 I love the concepts brought up, there are a couple of notable armies that fully ignore some of these alpha strike restrictions.

Blood angels (whom I believe can jump over units in the movement phase?) And orks with da jump.

I know until I read your articles on fortifications I kinda forgot they even exhausted. Thinking about how to use min sized squads sagittarum in bunkers to create new road blocks who retain the ability to hop out and score.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Here is a present from me to you! 

It is a PowerPoint file that is fully editable and has a tremendous amount of content that I will be updating frequently. If you want to have something added let me know in the comments.

Everyone is free to distribute, use, and modify this file. The only thing I ask is if you share it, attribute it back to overwhelmingodds40k.com.

You can download it off my site here--> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/powerpoint-files-2/

Or by going to my homepage and going to "Resources", then "PowerPoint files".

I put a lot of effort into making a simple yet comprehensive environment for practicing tactics, strategies, deploying, moving, shooting, and just visualizing the game.

I hope it enables you to create overwhelming odds in your next battle! 

Happy Holidays from Overwhelming Odds!

V/r,

Dan

Today's article is the first in a 2-part series on "Maelstrom of War" changes and missions in the new Chapter Approved 2019 book.   One of my readers requested I take a look and break it down.  I think you will find it informative, helpful, and enjoyable!

Check it out here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/maelstrom-of-war-missions-in-chapter-approved-2019-part-1-analysis/

V/r,

Dan

Happy Friday! I hope everyone had/are having excellent holidays with their loved ones!

The second and final part of the "Maelstrom of War missions in Chapter Approved 2019" has been published.  Check it out now, here--> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/maelstrom-of-war-missions-in-chapter-approved-2019-part-2-actual-game-play/

Additionally, I wanted to share a little of what is on the horizon for Overwhelming Odds.  This site’s launch, just a week ago, has been nothing short of an overwhelming success! Thanks, in full, to each and every one of YOU, the readers. It is my hope that I can provide you with daily content, that you want to see and read, every single day. 

If you are enjoying the content, let me know why.  If you want specific content, let me know what.  If there is something you think I can do better, let me know how. All I ask is that you take a moment to comment and let me know what YOU think.  Without feedback, I could be just spinning my wheels and doing things to do things.  I don’t want that.

I want you to know that you can absolutely influence how this site develops.  Take advantage of that, it really benefits us both.

Lastly, I have an exciting update! I will be uploading all my battle reports to my YouTube channel soon. Editing takes a significant amount of time and this site’s launch took precedence, so I had been holding off on it.  I would say in a week’s time, the channel will be up and there *should* be five to seven videos to check out.  These will be photo/video hybrid videos with some sweet music.  I will keep everyone updated on the progress.

V/r,

Dan

I am pleased to announce that the 1st Battle Report from Overwhelming Odds is now live!  It is my Blood Angels vs. the Adeptus Custodes.  There is a tremendous amount of content, from tactic thought processes, photos, deployment considerations, to illustrations that will blow your minds!  I put a serious amount of time and effort into editing and capturing the essence of the battle.  You don't want to miss this!

Click here--->https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/first-battle-report-adeptus-custodes-vs-blood-angels-in-a-maelstrom-of-war-mission/

Additionally, there is a sneak peak at tomorrows article, hidden in plain sight in the battle report (hint: it is a PowerPoint graphic :wink: ).

I can absolutely, without hesitation or reservation, tell you that you don't want to miss tomorrows article either.  It will be an incredible tutorial "of sorts".  I guarantee it is worth your time to read.

Come check out what happens at Overwhelming Odds!  I am not always writing, editing, and illustrating.  I actually DO play Warhammer 40K!  

You know you want to see the fully painted models, armies, and custom terrain. 

V/r,

Dan

Here is a glimpse of what is coming from Overwhelming Odds.  I wanted to showcase the map pack updates I will be posting for my PowerPoint file.  Every single battle report and game I play will have a corresponding digital map.   You can then practice on a real map with real terrain.  All to exact scale. 

I will also be using these maps in future articles to illustrate concepts.  This map is the same exact map from the Blood Angel vs Adeptus Custodes battle report.

Please click on the image below to see it full scale.

Christmas Massacre

I enjoy creating this content because I can:

1) analyze options not taken, after a game ends. 

2) try out different tactics, stratagems, and strategies

3) practice different deployment types and scenarios

4) learn more about my army, units, and synergies

5) create future opportunities with the knowledge I gain

6) master the movement phase

7) master the charge phase

8) optimize unit formations/pile-ins/consolidations

9) create kill zones

10) master board control

Hopefully this preview of upcoming content excites you.  Maybe this will convince you to subscribe. Now you know what can expect in the future from Overwhelming Odds!

V/r,

Dan

Happy Sunday!  I am overwhelmed (no pun intended) by the response I have received.  Each and every one of your comments matters.  Thank you so much for giving me your precious time and extremely valuable feedback!  It may seem like such a simple thing, but each comment directly impacts how I will proceed forward.  You are shaping the future of the site and things to come.  For example:

The battle report was very well received.  It will now be weekly content, at the minimum, on my site.  You liked it, so you will get more and more often.

There will be no more concessions in future battle reports.  They will go five turns, hopefully more, period.  I also was disappointed that my opponent conceded.  That won't happen again.  I truly concur with Kythnos's comment.

I will create and include more content explaining and displaying my thought processes.  This was my original intent for the site.  I enjoy breaking down "how and why" decisions are made.  By showing this process from a qualitative and quantitative perspective, even if you don't agree with the decisions, ultimately, you can see and understand how that decision was made.  I will still give a little bit of opinion, just for humor's sake.

Once again, this communities' support has been nothing short of awe inspiring.  It has been a tremendous and constant motivator.  You have my sincerest gratitude. 

V/r,

Dan