Greetings from Overwhelming Odds! Where military insights a

Overwhelming Odds

Here is the "LED name tags used as miniature scale signs" article I promised today.

Once again, a huge thanks to Zephaniah Adriyen for his suggestion that started my gears turning.

Reduce 40K worker's compensation claims, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-28-led-name-tags-led-signs-at-miniature-scales/

V/r,

Dan

Happy President's Day!

Two more articles have been released.  The arctic weapons facility is really coming together. I have so many more ideas that I am currently working on.  I may have over 50 projects completed by the time I am ready to use this battlefield.  Expect much more artistic content over the next 2 weeks!

Artistic Content 29: Realistic Launch Control Console with Cabling: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-29-realistic-launch-control-console-with-cabling/

I am also going to try and finish the rest of the Modern Military vs. Warhammer 40K articles this week.  The last article will be massive as we bring all 9 previous articles together and apply it to list-building and strategy development for a mission.  These 9 articles will act as my checklist.  You will see how each and every concept has impact and value.

Modern Military vs. Warhammer 40K – Part 6. The military concepts that are covered are Hazards, Probability, Constraints and Restrictions:

https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/modern-military-vs-warhammer-40k-part-6/

Only five more days to submit ideas and vote!

Don't forget to leave a "quote" suggestion for my ICBM.  I will be choosing one (maybe more) for inclusion on my Exterminatus missile. So far we have:

"From Cadia, with Love"

"Emperor's Mercy"

Lastly, I am currently running a poll to allow the readers to vote on what kinds of weapons are being manufactured at my arctic facility.  Come cast your vote now to steer the direction of my arctic battlefield build. Voting ends next Friday.

Vote here: https://overwhelming...facility-build/

The choices are:

• Chemical/Biological Weapon (Virus Bomb - quickly spreads & destroys all organic cellular structures)
  • Weaponized Nanotechnology (Deconstructor Nanobots - strip atoms from a target on a molecular level)
  • Thermonuclear Weapon (Nukes - detonation powerful enough to crack a planet's crust and destabilize its core)
  • Incendiary Weapon (Atmospheric Incinerator Torpedo - turn the atmosphere into a firestorm)
  • Void/Vortex Weapon (opens an uncontrolled "hole" in real-space, which utterly annihilates everything)

V/r,

Dan

Part 7 of my "Modern Military vs Warhammer 40K" article is now available.

It covers:

• Identifying and analyzing critical facts and assumptions
  • Remaining objective and impartial

This is a great article for those of you looking to understand the similarities between military planning and 40K list-building.

Don't assume, analyze: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/modern-military-vs-warhammer-40k-part-7/

V/r,

Dan

Happy Thursday!

Part 8 of my "Modern Military vs Warhammer 40K" article is now available.

It covers "schemes of maneuver".  This is a much larger article than normal as there was so much to cover!  If anyone wants more depth of analysis or visualization of any of these "maneuvers", I am definitely open to doing an article focused on one of them, going into much greater depth and detail.  Ask and you shall receive!

Check out a very good Marine doctrinal definition of maneuver, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/modern-military-vs-warhammer-40k-part-8/

More articles inbound as I have a lot to publish/share today! Including the reveal of my finished Exterminatus missile and a sneak peek at the launch platform!  Speaking of my ICBM...

...you only have today and tomorrow left to leave a "quote" suggestion for my ICBM.  I will be choosing one (maybe more) for inclusion on my Exterminatus missile. So far we have:

"From Cadia, with Love"

"Emperor's Mercy"

Lastly, I am currently running a poll to allow the readers to vote on what kinds of weapons are being manufactured at my arctic facility.  Come cast your vote now to steer the direction of my arctic battlefield build. Voting ends tomorrow.

Vote here: https://overwhelming...facility-build/

The top 3 choices (in order of current ranking) are:

1. Void/Vortex Weapon (opens an uncontrolled "hole" in real-space, which utterly annihilates everything)
  2. Chemical/Biological Weapon (Virus Bomb - quickly spreads & destroys all organic cellular structures)
  3. Thermonuclear Weapon (Nukes - detonation powerful enough to crack a planet's crust and destabilize its core)

V/r,

Dan

It is incredible that this is my 30th “Artistic Content” article! My site has only been live for 2 months today! To celebrate the amazing success of the site, I wanted to make this article extra special.

Come see the unveiling of my Exterminatus missile!

Annihilation Incarnate, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-30-exterminatus-missile-with-a-sneak-peek-at-the-launch-gantry/

I want to extend a huge "Thank You" to the entire community for all the support!

I have much more in store and a majority of my plans are FINALLY coming to fruition in the next week.  Keep an eye out for exciting new content!  I am also going to be finally expanding my content to the video realm within the next two weeks.  Exciting times!

V/r,

Dan

Happy Friday!

Another "Artistic Content" article that highlights another aspect of my ongoing arctic battlefield project.  Come see what I found to use as snow and ice crystals.  I will be able to create amazing basing and also blend terrain into the battlefield just like when I use aquarium rocks.  

Icy cool ideas, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-30-snow-for-basing-blending-terrain/

This project is coming together more and more by the day.  I can't wait to unveil the full battlefield set-up in less than 2 weeks!  I will be revealing more and more each day!

V/r,

Dan

Happy Saturday Night!

I have just released two more articles, both of which are more artistic content further showcasing my arctic battlefield build.  But the 2nd article finally reveals the secret 2nd theme that has been hiding in plain sight!  This wasn't just a weapons facility build! I hope you appreciate the homage and tribute to one of the best horror movies from the 80's!  

See how the tiniest terrain pieces can immerse you in the battle, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-32-simple-scatter-terrain-lights/

I won't post the 2nd link, as I don't want to ruin the surprise!

V/r,

Dan

Just published the article featuring the results of the recent poll!  Come check out what weapon type my weapons facility will be manufacturing and utilizing!  It was a landslide victory, surprisingly.  Definitely not what I was expecting the readers to want to see.  

Come see the winner and read about what happens now: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/final-results-of-the-weapons-facilitys-purpose-poll/

V/r,

Dan

Yo.

I read the first 10 articles and found a bunch I could get behind. Objective placement and in game maneuvers to take advantage of terrain were spot on.

Since you seem keen on criticism, let me say this. Your advice on list building, while ... " right", missed me. I am not the kind of player who is trying to win a game before it starts. I dont ever build a list to solve a known type of enemy. My lists are set well before I even scrounge a oponet. I tell my self that my lists are take all commers but its not even about that. They are about a story in my head and the models I have available. I know that means that I will be at a disadvantage. I even go as far as to tell my opponent as far ahead of time what they can expect to see so they wont be taken by supprise. I play a very similar army over many games so my crew are not taken by supprise. I want to face armies that will give me a gard time. I don't do great against them by the way. I loose too much. I do learn though, a lot. Still, it seems like youre advise on list building is not even suited for a tournament environment, where you know little of what to expect. You do talk about getting as much info before hand to have the best chance to win so you're not wrong in what you say. It just feels like you should maybe give more space for otherr play styles.

Edited by Lord Lorne Walkier

Lord Lorne Walkier,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

I do want and need criticism, otherwise I am just publishing articles in a vacuum without consideration of the readers.  I absolutely understand where you are coming from.  Not all of my content is going to appeal to all my readers.  I have had readers flat out say they only like the "Artistic Content"  articles, or that they want more in-depth tournament analysis.  I do try and "spread the wealth" to capture what I see as the four main groups: hardcore players, casual players, artists, and "fluffy" list builders/narrative players.  I admit that I have a disproportionate amount of content skewed towards all the groups, but the narrative players.  I have already begun changing that, especially with the the recent arctic battlefield build.  There will be a ton of narrative and "fluffy" articles, as well as battle reports.  If I am being honest, I personally enjoy the narrative stuff the most.  

Please keep one thing in mind when reading my articles.  The point and purpose is not to Win At All Costs.  I am just bringing awareness to the multitude of aspects and nuances that make Warhammer 40K so awesome. I want all of my readers to have "eureka moments" where they gain information of real value to them.  It might come from an artistic terrain article, a strategy article, or even a super in-depth analysis of mission.  Yes, you absolutely could take all of the information and leverage it for maximum domination of your opponent, but that would be super not fun for both players, unless they were both looking for that (opposite end of the spectrum from your ideal battles).  

The goal is to ultimately enhance the experience both players get from having a grim dark battle.  That in and of itself has a ton a variation, depending on what the motivations are of each player and what they are looking to get out of a battle.  From your explanation, I can see exactly what you are looking to achieve and get out of your games.  I am a player with a very similar mindset.  The best way to get really good at something is to practice the same way with the same key core things.  There is nothing "wrong" with only having access to a select amount of models or taking the same list repetitively.  I would fear that player more than most of the players that change their lists every time.  

Be on the look out for much more narrative content focused on exactly what you are looking for, as stated in your comments.  I do need to address more playstyles.  Some of the best fun that can be had in a game of 40K is when you deviate from the "norm" and play missions while incorporating the really random immersive narrative elements.  

I will be compiling my personal favorite narrative elements that I have come across in Warhammer 40K throughout the years. Some examples of this is when you have battlefield-wide effects such as:

Atmospheric effects (reduced movement, reduced weapon ranges, reduced psychic range)

Battlefield effects (Night fighting, mysterious objectives, extra mission rules)

Apocalyptic effects (orbital strikes, meteor shower, earthquakes)

"Sudden Death" mechanics (Open War cards)

"Twist" effects (Open War cards)

"Ruse" effects (Open War cards)

This has given me a very good idea!  I will allow the greater community to decide which narrative elements they want to see in my next battle report.  I will be posting an article shortly that will have a poll that includes what I think are some of the most immersive battlefield effects.  I will give the readers the opportunity to pick one aspect from each of the above six 

categories.  I will then have a glorious battle with a TON of narrative elements!  I will publish that article shortly!

Seriously, thanks again for your comments,  perspective, and criticism.  It really matters.  I hope future content can exceed your expectations and give you something you want to see and read.  It won't be everyday, but I will make a very conscious effort for at least 2-3 times a week.

V/r,

Dan

Lord Lorne Walkier and all of my "narrative loving" readers,

I have just published my 1st "Narrative Content" article!  You can expect to see more of these weekly and probably more often than that. They will definitely be military focused in the future.  This first article gives everyone the chance to influence my next battle with 5 polls and 5 votes.  You get to decide the battlefield effects that will take place as I wage war on another Chapter Approved Narrative Challenge Mission.  These 5 aspects will make it even more challenging!  This is something to just have fun with and it should be crazy ridiculous.

Cast your vote, for synergistic effects or for utter chaos, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/narrative-content-1-vote-and-forge-the-most-unforgiving-battlefield-imaginable-for-my-next-battle/

I haven't forgotten about my 1st Narrative Battle Report either.  Expect that soon!  I will also be completing parts 9 and 10 of my "War College" shortly.  Lastly, there will be even more reveals of my arctic battlefield build today!  Make sure to check it out!

There will be more "compare & contrast", CA 2019 mission analysis, and my first ever reviews of sponsor products coming soon as well.  No rest for the wicked!

V/r,

Dan

Voted!

I made choices that direct you toward a battle in the middle of a Warp storm. Causality is off, meaning previously destroyed units may return to the battlefield from a past instance, and the Warp is strong here, for better or for worse. Perhaps play an Imperium army against a Chaos of Tzeentch army for the ultimate fluffy battle.

Also - I kinda just wanna see you build a psychic tornado prop. :biggrin.:

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Voted!

Also - I kinda just wanna see you build a psychic tornado prop. :biggrin.:

You can consider that done. I was planning on building one regardless of the vote.  Because I also thought it sounded too awesome!  I will make one that actually spins and looks realistic.  Going a little "extra" on this one.

V/r,

Dan

Here is another awesome "Artistic Content" article that really highlights the incredible things you can do with an inkjet printed image!

Also, this article reveals the winning inscription on my Exterminatus Missile (also inkjet printed).  Is it cheating?  Who cares!  It looks fantastic!

More articles incoming as I have sooo much more to share!  Going to be a busy week!

Come witness my OCD in full effect again, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-34-simple-details-dramatic-improvements-inkjet-printed-icbm-internals-the-exterminatus-missile-inscription/

V/r,

Dan

Get ready for some more amazing military content!  As promised to Focslain, I have just published an article on creating narratives using publications/doctrine from actual military "White Cells" that create and control military exercises.  You will definitely learn something from this article!

This is a "Narrative Content" article that will really help you to capture those characteristics of training and exercises to really set the stage.

"Exercise, exercise, exercise": https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/narrative-content-2-white-cell-military-exercise-planning/

V/r,

Dan

Late night article inbound.  Followed by another, maybe two articles shortly! I am burning the midnight oil!

This article will be entertaining and informative!  It explains ballistic weapon damage characteristics, with a focus on impacts/cratering.  There should be at least one or two "eureka moments", whether you are an artist, modeler, narrative player, or casual player.

Final Impact, Sudden Death, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/narrative-content-3-telling-a-story-with-weapon-impacts-damage/

V/r,

Dan

Happy Friday!  

I have an amazing article for you today!  I have finally finished my Galvanic Servohauler!  Come check out the painting (judge my skill) and take a look at all the functional things I can accomplish with a working crane.  I took a ton of photos of the different ways I can use the crane to forge a visual narrative.

You also get to see some other terrain enhancements that have been accomplished.  The arctic battlefield is nearing completion.

Avoid work and read this: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-36-my-functional-galvanic-servohauler-reveal/

More articles inbound, with the next article highlighting how I am creating modular and versatile ice sheet covered lakes and river!  Completely covered or broken up, have it your way!  It looks incredible.

V/r,

Dan

You want to fight a battle across an ice sheet over a freezing lake?  You want your objective marker on a floating sheet of cracking ice?  I got you covered!

Come check out the EASIEST way to create phenomenal lice sheets and terrain for less than $12.  Plus it only takes 30 minutes to have seriously realistic ice.

Overwhelming Odds on Ice, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-37-super-realistic-ice-covered-lakes-and-rivers-for-12/

Now I get to try out my new LED name tag and see what narrative effects I can create with it!  It just showed up today!  Expect an article on that next, after I get done experimenting <playing> with it!

V/r,

Dan

It's Friday night, so here is a quick article on my completed "Thing" in the ice block.  This is just the 2D version, until my Chaos Spawn box arrives and I can go 3D.

Feel the 2011 prequel nostalgia, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-38-the-thing-realized-in-an-ice-block-in-15-minutes/

V/r,

Dan

You want to fight a battle across an ice sheet over a freezing lake? You want your objective marker on a floating sheet of cracking ice? I got you covered!

Come check out the EASIEST way to create phenomenal lice sheets and terrain for less than $12. Plus it only takes 30 minutes to have seriously realistic ice.

Overwhelming Odds on Ice, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-37-super-realistic-ice-covered-lakes-and-rivers-for-12/

Now I get to try out my new LED name tag and see what narrative effects I can create with it! It just showed up today! Expect an article on that next, after I get done experimenting <playing> with it!

V/r,

Dan

Very clever idea. I'll have to remember that one if I ever make a snow table.

Happy Saturday night!

I have completed the build of my two "The Thing" inspired creatures utilizing a Chaos Spawn kit from GW.  They are perfect and will be incredible additions to my Chaos armies.

Come see the reference material, the builds, the conversions, and the final models (before painting).

Get ready to be absorbed, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-39-two-creatures-from-the-thing-chaos-spawn-conversions/

Now my wife wants to marathon watch both movies back-to-back!  My models were indeed inspiring!  

V/r,

Dan

Edited by Overwhelming Odds

Happy Monday!

Here are two articles to start your week!  The first is focused on the final outcome of the voting for my next narrative challenge battle.  There were 5 aspects that you voted on, that will now affect the upcoming battle.  

See the utter devastation and calamity that will befall my next battlefield, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/narrative-content-1-update-the-outcome-of-the-voting-plus-info-on-the-next-battle-reports/

The next article is the finished and ready to use LED scale signs made from LED name tags.  You don't want to miss this one!  They exceeded expectations and also destroyed some of my morale at the same time! 

Check out why, here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-40-completed-led-scale-signs-led-name-tags/

More articles are inbound today, as I need to complete quite a few more articles this week before the unveiling of my arctic battlefield.  There have been a lot of projects in total to create this one battlefield!

V/r,

Dan

While you're doing homages to our xenos foes in your narrative battlefields... what would you suggest for an Alien(s)-themed battlefield? Genestealers are an obvious stand-in for the Xenomorphs themselves, and perhaps the Militarum Tempestus as a stand-in for the Colonial Marines, but I wonder at how you would tackle a battlefield around it.

Finally finishing up a majority of my projects.  Here are my two finished Chaos Spawns that are replicas of two creatures from the movie "The Thing".

Hope you enjoy them!  They will be spilling blood for the blood god real soon!

I copied creatures that copy other creatures! Irony can be found here: https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/update-artistic-content-39-two-creatures-from-the-thing-painted/

V/r,

Dan

Zephaniah Adriyen,

If I was going to recreate an "Alien" themed battlefield, here are the things I would do and approaches I would take:

There are exact Alien miniatures you can buy, but if you wanted GW genestealers to be Alien themed, you could use various painting techniques from all gloss black with subtle highlights to a black accented miniature with a dark grey-scale metallic palette of primary colors.

For the human models, you could use a wide variety of Militarum models.  Just depends on the look you want.  First Alien movie, 2nd, or maybe even an Alien vs. Predator look.  

Depending on the movie you want to recreate, you could go with a ship interior battlefield (bulkhead walls and doors). You could do a martian landscape from the second movie (include that awesome terraforming complex for height and look).  Or you could do a jungle theme.  

If I was going to pick one, the 2nd movie is my favorite, so I would want a combination of corridors (building interior) and the open outside world (martian landscape).

Then I would search for elements I want to replicate as terrain.  Here is a list off the top of my head:

The uplink tower that the synthetic has to drag himself to through pipes.  So, make a piece of terrain with larger pipes leading to a comms tower. 

The hab-blocks (buildings) can be purchased from a variety of MDF terrain companies with a very similar look and vibe.

Lots of hazard stripes

Lots of rotating yellow hazard lights and red illuminating lights

Grates everywhere

Landing pad

Terraforming facility as the centerpiece in the middle of the battlefield.  At least 3 levels of elevated walkways.

Powerloader as scatter terrain with lots of crates

I would mix metallic black paint with a clear very thick medium to recreate the Alien excretions all over the place.

I would buy the APC and the Aircraft models from the movie and then burn them and scatter the pieces all over the battlefield.  Because that would be AWESOME.  Flaming wreckage everywhere.

The key is to recreate the elements and aspects that you loved. That way it is immersive and you have an emotional connection to each piece and the whole battlefield.

You could also approach this from the Prometheus movies, and have an alien landscape and vibe.  There is a lot of source material to work with!

Aliens is my wife's favorite movie.  Stop giving her ideas.  She is going to read this and demand I do it!

V/r,

Dan