Greetings from Overwhelming Odds! Where military insights a

Overwhelming Odds

Happy New Year, day 2, PART 2!  Today's SECOND article is brought to you courtesy of a request from a community member here, Juggernut.  Make sure to say thanks for the suggestion!

This article will be eye-opening and super informative.  The perspectives and insight you will gain will make a significant impact on your game play.  It's a promise.

You definitely need to check it out right now!  If you like what you read, please consider subscribing.

Blood for the Blood God here! --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/all-in-assault-armies-can-i-win-with-minimal-shooting/  <--Here are Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Squeaky wheels get the grease.  So if YOU want to have content created, speak up.  I have not said "no" once.  I also have fulfilled every single request for content so far.

May this New Year bring you ever closer to the goal of collecting all the skulls. May you control the battle and the battlefield with your blood soaked thoughts and knowledge.

V/r,

Dan

Okay looks like I have a site to checkout. Like Shiny Rhino, as ex-military, I tend to be skeptical of claims of applying real world military concepts and analysis to 40k. Most I’ve ran across either exaggerate their understanding of the former or have a poor ability to use it properly with the latter. But I share bough similar thinking to Rhino and Black Blow Fly I’m going to have to check this out.

Thanks, my lunch reading schedule is now filled for at least a month :wink:

PS: I haven’t started yet but curious what environmental context your using during your analysis. Terrain set up is just about top three in game factors and seeing a breakdown of how to approach ITC, ETC and some of the specific tournament packets such as NOVA and AdeptiCon would be interesting.

Dracos,

BLUF: I use Intelligence Preparation of the Environment, the 9 Principles of War, and Visualization as my mainstays for analysis.  As well as military doctrine and tenets.

Happy New Year and thank you very much for the compliments and vote of confidence.  That means the world to me.  Seriously appreciated.  Your lunch time reading will now be super amazing, I can guarantee it.  I have thought about doing a hard core tournament analysis, and you are absolutely correct about terrain.  You will find a LOT of that information in my 10 part primer.  Definitely check that out, as it will address a significant portion of how i approach, break down, and analyze aspects of 40K. 

Speaking specifically in regards to ITC, NOVA, and other competitive packets, I will admit they are very well thought out.  I have, on numerous occasions, played friendly games utilizing their rule sets.  The adaptability and variety of the mission objectives makes a lot of armies viable against all comers.  It really is a great equalizer. That is not easy to do.  I really have to hand it to the organizers for having such simple and elegant solutions, that is the true mark of genius.  I will look at including more article content geared towards these aspects, and will publish an article on this shortly.  It is a lot of information to break down, and will take some serious time.  

V/r,

Dan

Loving the "All-in" assault army article! Immediately learned something useful regarding objective placement, which admittedly I never put much thought into beyond creating a symmetrical board (how fair of me!).

"I love triangles!" :teehee:

Looking forward to part 2.

I liked the idea of the objective placement article and the point about minimising the effective playing field is an important one.

But I would also tend to think it relies quite heavily on your opponent not actually going for what you say he wants to do. I mean, if the opponent actually wanted to create distance with their objective placement they certainly wouldn't have placed their third objective where the example shows - and likely not the second one either.

It's entirely possible that there's something I'm not seeing, but it does seem like the opponent in the example does everything they can to help you create the smallest "effective playing field" possible.

I liked the idea of the objective placement article and the point about minimising the effective playing field is an important one.

But I would also tend to think it relies quite heavily on your opponent not actually going for what you say he wants to do. I mean, if the opponent actually wanted to create distance with their objective placement they certainly wouldn't have placed their third objective where the example shows - and likely not the second one either.

It's entirely possible that there's something I'm not seeing, but it does seem like the opponent in the example does everything they can to help you create the smallest "effective playing field" possible.

Antarius,

Thank you for your feedback and comments! This gives me the opportunity to demonstrate exactly what you addressed, while providing even more valuable content.  I am going to re-place the objectives, but I will assume my opponent knows exactly what I am trying to do.  It still makes no difference.  Allow me to illustrate that:

Khorne objective placement

It does not matter where the 1st objective is placed.  I am going to "mirror" that placement with the 2nd objective (mine).  12" away.  Then my opponent can place their 3rd objective as far away as possible on the other side of the map.  I still don't care.

Because, I will complete my first triangle regardless of what my opponent does.  Unless they are dumb enough to place their objective within 12" of where my 4th objective will be placed.  Maybe in an attempt to "block me" from using that area.  I would just capitalize on that further, like yesterday's example.

Now my opponent places their objective (5th) also as far away as possible.  I still don't care.

Because I complete my 2nd triangle and now have 4 objectives primed for assault.  I will be able to seize and hold quite easily.  Also worth mentioning, the other two objectives are spread out.  This turns on my reserve assault, reduces ranged shooting due to distance from those two outlier objectives, and benefits me in multiple other aspects.  This is a better scenario for me than yesterday!

Here is a look at the distances between objective areas

Here is the part of the table I care about.  This where I will be focused and concentrate my forces.  Mobility is no longer going to be a concern, for the most part.  I do still have to "get there" though.

Here is yesterday's example for comparison.

It is important to ask questions and criticize.  I value that very highly.  Thank you for taking the time to respond and point out your perspective.  It allows me the opportunity to demonstrate, with factual and measurable graphics, and not just my opinion, so you can see where I am coming from.  If you thought it looked "convenient" yesterday, others may have as well. I can absolutely see where you were coming from.  That was a completely valid perspective.

I will be posting this as an article so others can benefit from it.  Once again, I greatly appreciate the feedback and I hope I exceeded your expectations with my explanation.  

V/r,

Dan
Edited by Overwhelming Odds

Happy Friday! 

I will be posting three articles today.  The first is an article generated from the comment and reply above.  This is just extra content and not my full article for today.  Give me your feedback and comments.  I yearn for continuous improvement and greater depth in my content.  You have an opinion, share it.  Don't hold back!

Khorne approves of this article here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/extra-content-more-khorne-objective-manipulation/

I will also be publishing a graphic heavy article in response to a reader's request for visualizing unit movements while staying in aura range of an HQ. 

Stay tuned throughout the day for updates on when the articles are live!

V/r,

Dan

One last thing...I have not heard anything about the PowerPoint file I put out there for everyone to use.  I was hoping to get some feedback on the following:

How are you using it?

What is missing that you feel *needs* included?

What is missing that you *want* included?

Does anyone need tutorials on layers, object creation, or just basic use?

I am going to be including, in an update file, the 6 rule book deployment zones, unit role flags (HQ, Elite, Troop, etc..), and much more. You can just copy/paste slides from the updates to the original file.

Also, I am going to post an additional file with ALL of the slides I have created for my articles up to this point.  That way you can manipulate them and experiment with ALL of the content I have created.  Go wild!  Plus you can break down and analyze my information!  You will be able to fact check and double check my work.  Scary!

You can expect to grab these updates Sunday morning!

Thanks again for all the support!

V/r,

Dan

Good stuff, I totally agree with you on the article on dice and results as well. I use Bicycle dice personally and they have done fairly well for me, I find that I roll fairly average. The dice have pointed corners as opposed to the chessex-style rounded corners. I have some custom black templar dice from chessex, they roll like absolute grox anus compared to the consistency I get out of the Bicycle dice. 

Today's main article is live!

I think I knocked this one out of the park, so give me your feedback and comments.  I yearn for continuous improvement and greater depth in my content.  You have an opinion, share it.  Don't hold back!

Khorne approves of this article here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/all-in-assault-armies-plus-more-khorne-tactics/

Juggernut, Khorne expects a surge in Blood and Skulls from you now!

V/r,

Dan

Today's main article is live!

I think I knocked this one out of the park, so give me your feedback and comments.  I yearn for continuous improvement and greater depth in my content.  You have an opinion, share it.  Don't hold back!

Khorne approves of this article here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/all-in-assault-armies-plus-more-khorne-tactics/

Juggernut, Khorne expects a surge in Blood and Skulls from you now!

V/r,

Dan

M038srD.gif

*edit*

Loved the article, Dan. Thank you! 

One of the main issues that I think needs to be addressed is the use of screens by the opponent. In certain situations/armies, it's less of a concern, but quite often players will not simply allow their best units to be exposed to an onslaught of chainaxes.

Edited by Juggernut

Juggernut,

Expect an article on using screens and how to counter them *real soon* :wink: .  This is an excellent topic to transition to.  Oil up them chainaxes and don't forget that extra chainsword.  We are going to get medieval on some meat screens. 

V/r,

Dan

P.S. Screens only last so long

Khorne2

Antarius,

Thank you for your feedback and comments! This gives me the opportunity to demonstrate exactly what you addressed, while providing even more valuable content.  I am going to re-place the objectives, but I will assume my opponent knows exactly what I am trying to do.  It still makes no difference.  Allow me to illustrate that:

[...]

V/r,

Dan

Great! This explanation was exactly what I was hoping for, but I couldn't really visualise it myself at the time and I suspected there might be something I was just not seeing. I'm happy to say there was!

Thanks for taking the time to give such an elaborate response, Dan :)

Happy Saturday!  (I am West Coast, USA, so, time zones...)

I just finished the battle report that I promised a week ago.  Here is some info from the battle report.  

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front)- Why should I read and look at this photo battle report?

Here are some facts I think you should know before you look at the battle report:

• This battle report will be broken up into 4 parts. Don't worry, they are all available, immediately, to read. I wouldn't make you wait...binge away!
  • The reason I have to do this is because there are 350+ photos totaling over 1 GB, in total. This needed to be broken up across multiple articles.
  • The game goes the full 5 turns. There was no conceding victory here. None offered, none would be accepted.
  • Both players easily achieve double digit Victory Points this game. The new tactical objective mission rule set is incredible.
  • I DO actually employ my daring 2, 4, 6 objective manipulation strategy! But, in a more sneaky way...hint: Objectives 3, 4, and 5.  And yes, I did get a death glare!

I honestly believe and feel that I can say this is the Best Photo Battle Report ever Created!

Read it.  Then, if you have an opinion, share it.  Don't hold back!

Check out Part 1 of "The Best Photo Battle Report ever Created" here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/chapter-approved-2019-maelstrom-of-war-battle-report-tau-vs-adeptus-mechanicus/

Check out Part 2 of "The Best Photo Battle Report ever Created" here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/chapter-approved-2019-maelstrom-of-war-battle-report-tau-vs-adeptus-mechanicus-part-2/

Check out Part 3 of "The Best Photo Battle Report ever Created" here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/chapter-approved-2019-maelstrom-of-war-battle-report-tau-vs-adeptus-mechanicus-part-3/

Check out Part 4 of "The Best Photo Battle Report ever Created" here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/chapter-approved-2019-maelstrom-of-war-battle-report-tau-vs-adeptus-mechanicus-part-4-the-conclusion/

This has been a MONSTER to upload, edit, write, proof-read, and publish! But, I do it because the community has spoken and I am listening. Thank you for your support and all the AMAZING comments, and motivation.  Additionally, thank you for spending your precious time reading my content. I hope to exceed each and every one of your expectations of what is possible.

Come back tomorrow to download the 1st ever update for my PowerPoint file. It is going to be INCREDIBLE!!! You NEED this update.

I will also be providing every single graphic I have produced during my articles. Each and every one, in a file for you to manipulate and edit for your own use. I will have previews of the content tomorrow.

I am signing off, as this was a no kidding 9 hour process, from start to finish today, but totally worth it!

V/r,

Dan

Happy Sunday!

My first update to my PowerPoint file is live!  I created an article highlighting what you can expect from the two update files.  

If you already have the main (1st) Powerpoint file, these two are just add-ons.  

Link to article and downloads--> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/two-new-updates-for-my-powerpoint-file/

Additionally, if you have not checked out my comments above regarding my 2ND battle report, please do so!

Link to the 1st of 4 parts of the battle report--> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/chapter-approved-2019-maelstrom-of-war-battle-report-tau-vs-adeptus-mechanicus/

You do not want to miss this one!

V/r,

Dan

I have to give you a thumbs up for this. It is  great content and a good read. Consider it *subed*.

As an x-army (cavalry), now sience-teacher I enjoy your style of writing.

So I have to throw in a quick question as well as applauding the content. How do you feel about playing with a chess clock?

I have to give you a thumbs up for this. It is  great content and a good read. Consider it *subed*.

As an x-army (cavalry), now sience-teacher I enjoy your style of writing.

So I have to throw in a quick question as well as applauding the content. How do you feel about playing with a chess clock?

Are Verlo,

I greatly appreciate the endorsement!  It is always humbling to receive compliments from military members (former and current).  "We" tend to say *exactly* what we see and how we feel, so it means a lot! 

I wish I could give you a qualified opinion on "chess clocks" and game speed.  The reason I can't is because I almost always play without a time constraint.  My opponent and I dedicate a large portion of a day to playing out a game.  It might even carry over to another day.  I am the reason we have to take our time, because I am taking 300+ photos, 360 degree videos, and taking notes.  My opponent has NO PROBLEM with this, because we go over the game in great detail afterwards to glean as much information as we can from it.  We want to constantly improve our abilities to wage war.  We both benefit from the additional time taken during our games.

But, I want to at least take a stab at giving you an opinion, that is factually based, so you can debate and/or understand my position and thoughts on the matter.

I absolutely agree that there should be a "chess clock".  You can't call "time out" in a battle and you rarely have time to think.  You have to react, with what you know at that moment, quickly and efficiently.  This is an essential part of a battle and I believe it should be a part of this game.  When you have a time limit, it forces you to learn the following skills:

Sound decision making      You will have to learn methodologies that enable quick, but deliberate, choices and actions.

Rapid threat prioritization   You will have to learn how to identify priority threats quickly and logically.

Time/planning efficiency     You will have to learn to use ALL the time you have (during phases and the opponent's turns) to strategize. 

Order of precedence          You will have to learn what moves first, shoots first, and fights first in case you run out of time.  You want to make the most impact you can with your turn.

Now, the huge drawback, and the part people WILL have a problem with is a time "cut-off".  Not being to make all your moves, shoot all your units, and just plain miss out on actions is a real problem.

Imperial Knight players would laugh.  Guard players would weep.  There is an huge imbalance, in the time it takes to play out an army's turn, from army to army.

Here is what I would suggest.   Use a chess clock *purely* to set an IDEAL and AGREED upon time frame for each phase.  Let's just say 10 minutes.  Then, if the time is exceeded, the player is encouraged to just speed up that part of the phase.  Complete it, but a little faster.  This will keep the game moving at a reasonable pace.  

believe you just need to motivate players to plan ahead, think ahead, decide quickly, and take action with a sense of purpose.  You streamline the game and experience without losing anything important.  

I hope my opinion and perspective helps!

V/r,

Dan

Happy Monday!

Check out some bonus content!  This is not the daily article for today.  You can still expect that, on top of this article.

This article was created at the request SilverSkullGamer. I promised them some visualizations for the following request:

“I would like to see something showing how to move troop units forward while keeping a commander in buff range. How do you keep, say 3 units within a 6″ commanders bubble. “

Check out how I approached this and what my solution was --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/bonus-content-for-one-of-my-readers/

V/r,

Dan

Thank you for the great and entertaining battle report. Great use of images and an easy to follow writing style. Thorougly enjoyable :)

What would improve the report further in my opinion, is a short summary of every player turn (maybe with some of your wonderful graphics). I sometimes felt a bit at a loss regarding what had actually happened a few times during the report. A few images less and maybe this would not have to take up more time.

Nice use of the tail to expand the range of the command buff radius. That formation definitely better for bigger units but even though slightly less effective the principle still applies to 5 man squads. Side note. Some armies have Warlord Traits that add +3 inches but usually at the cost of other more effective traits.