Greetings from Overwhelming Odds! Where military insights a

Overwhelming Odds

New from GW, just for you guys!  Only $19.00 too!

New from GW

I greatly appreciate all the humor!  Helping me crank through more articles today for you all!

I REALLY want to whip one of these out in a game and start measuring with it...can you IMAGINE my opponent's face?

V/r,

Dan
Edited by Overwhelming Odds

Chaos Lord vs. Exalted Champion? Maybe melee-kit Plague Marines vs. Khorne Berzerkers?

Done and done!!  Unstoppable pain train versus unmovable viral object?  Count me IN!!!

Today's third of MANY articles is "Compare & Contrast – Reader's Request Edition #3"

Plague Marines vs. Khorne Berzerkers!

This one is for you Zephaniah Adriyen!  Next article will be published tomorrow...also for you.

Blood and Plague here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/compare-contrast-readers-request-edition-3/

V/r,

Dan

That Raptors/Warp Talons art-... Oh. I was typing and you posted. Excellent!

As I was saying, the Raptors/Warp Talons article was very informative, and - speaking as someone who owns Warp Talons - 100% accurate to how they like to operate. Warp Talons are exclusively a GEQ and maaaaaybe MEQ discord-sower, and the occasional character-killer if your opponent really, really messes up.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Thanks a lot for answering my question above. The video links have been very helpfull as well. A lot of stuff I never considered doing!

Regarding Compare & Contrast I have some (many? :whistling: ) ideas:

Skitarii Vanguard / Rangers

Ruststalkers / Infiltrators (Ruststalkers are pretty cheap now, is it enough to make them good?)

Kataphron Destroyers / Breachers

Plague Drones / Beasts of Nurgle (faster vs cheaper and more durable)

Maybe one or two of these catch your interest :yes::wink:

Edited to reflect current progress as of 1/14.

DeStinyFiSh,

Glad to hear that the information was of value.  That is the goal.  I have added your recommendations for "Compare and Contrast" to the queue.  Thanks for your requests.  I am completing them in the order received and trying to get them all done in the next two days.  

For everyone else, here is what my current "queue" looks like.  Don't let that dissuade you from asking for content.  Pile it on.  I will get to it.  

Chaos Lord vs. Exalted Champion - Zephaniah Adriyen   - DONE

Plague Marines vs. Rubrics - Zephaniah Adriyen              - DONE

Assault Centurions vs Aggressors – Claws and Effect      - DONE (but needs a separate article to provide fidelity and context)

"Winning with the Underdogs": Grey Knights – RandyB    - in process (really want to finish a baseline before they get all the goodies from the next PA book)

Skitarii Vanguard / Rangers - DeStinyFiSh                        

Ruststalkers / Infiltrators - DeStinyFiSh

Kataphron Destroyers / Breachers - DeStinyFiSh

Plague Drones / Beasts of Nurgle - DeStinyFiSh

Charge Movement Visualized

Pile-in Movement Visualized

Consolidation Move Visualized

Putting it all to together – Assaulting Master Class

Break down and analyzing top tournament lists

Create an all Death Company army and create a photo battle report with it.

How to eliminate “screens” and exploit their presence on the battlefield.

Much more Xenos content

More “How can military strategy and tactics be applied to 40K” articles

Lastly, I need suggestions for the top tournament lists everyone wants to see me rip apart down to it's core and then exploit every single aspect.  Once I have a good list, I will create a poll and let majority rule.  I would imagine you want the most popular or most successful lists for starters...

V/r,

Dan

Today's first of MANY articles is "Compare & Contrast – Reader's Request Edition #4"

Chaos Lord vs. Exalted Champion.

This one is for you Zephaniah Adriyen!

I have to make a quick comment about this article.  

First and Foremost, thank you Zephaniah Adriyen!   I am ALWAYS trying to eliminate bias from my decision making processes and analysis.  I KNOW better and have had a 15+ year CAREER of taking objective and unbiased perspectives on everything I touched or looked at.  

BUT, I have to admit that I had never even CONSIDERED an Exalted Champion, because he looks SO INFERIOR to a Chaos Lord.  I had an incredible amount of BIAS towards him, and unfairly so.  He is an AMAZING unit, when you know the proper ROLE he plays and the CONTEXT of his abilities and synergy.  

I was "blown away" by how amazing the Chaos Lord was in this article. BUT I was left speechless looking at how I had neglected a major piece in my Khorne army, the Exalted Champion. I was blinded by bias and the "looks better on paper" Chaos Lord.  Thank you for the amazing suggestion!  It is always the comparisons that we expect to know the outcomes of, that end up surprising us in the greatest of ways.

Lose the bias here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/compare-contrast-readers-request-edition-4/

Keep those suggestions coming.  

V/r,

Dan

Had a couple more ideas.

Intercessors vs. Infiltrators (vs. Incursors, maybe?)

Eliminators vs. Sniper Scouts.

Terminators vs. Aggressors.

Hellblasters vs. Devastator Marines.

Maybe Phobos vs. Tacticus Librarian?

Possessed vs. Warp Talons, maybe?

Helix Adept vs. Comms Array.

Just some ideas. No need to do all, or any, of them, I was just giving you some more in case you wanted them.

Today's second of MANY articles is "Compare & Contrast – Reader's Request Edition #5"

Plague Marines vs. Rubric Marines

This one is also for you Zephaniah Adriyen!

This was a very intensive comparison.  They are such unique and different units.  

Check out mortal wound vs mortal combat here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/compare-contrast-readers-request-edition-5/

Moving on to Assault Centurions vs Aggressors for Claws and Effect!  This is going to be good!

V/r,

Dan

Today's third article is "Compare & Contrast – Reader's Request Edition #6"

Assault Centurions vs Aggressors!

This one is for you Claws and Effect!

This was a very intensive comparison.  They are so similar, yet fulfill such drastically different roles.

Check out the battle of the Elites here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/compare-contrast-readers-request-edition-6/

I also have a side note for Claws and Effect.

This comparison would NOT do the two units justice, in my mind, because the transport options (taking up 3 spaces), Primaris vs Non-Primaris caveats, and the desire to have aura support is what REALLY distinguishes these two units.  

Soooo, I am creating an article for tomorrow that will address these issues.. It overlaps on concerns, I myself have had to address, when considering Primaris vs Non-Primaris and their transport options.  It also highlights how some units REALLY want that aura more than most.  If I am to give you an accurate comparison, that has true context, I have to do it completely and accurately, taking into account variables that REALLY matter.  Just so you know where I am coming from on this.  You will also get sweet graphics, so BONUS!

V/r,

Dan

Today's first article is "Aggressor Squad vs. Centurion Assault Squad: Comparing and Contrasting Primaris vs. Non-Primaris Transport Options"

It is a continuation and elaboration on the Compare and Contrast article featuring these two units.

Later today, I will release part 3, which is going to be a graphics heavy continuation and finale to this epic "Compare and Contrast".  It was the only way to do it "right" and give proper ocntext.

Stop walking and catch a ride here: --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/aggressor-squad-vs-centurion-assault-squad-comparing-and-contrasting-primaris-vs-non-primaris-transport-options/

V/r,

Dan

Thank you for your articles and battle reports, I'm really enjoying thinking about aspects of my play I hadn't considered.

I wanted a compare/contrast for the Custodes dreadnoughts as I knew that there was one clear preference online, but felt bad asking you to do it just for me. However, It'd be great to hear if there's anything I missed as I am not on the bleeding edge of the meta but I love introspection! Thanks again!

Lp00REhh.png?1

Wow that is super not good to read

Edited by Gore Crow

Today's third article is "Compare & Contrast – Reader's Request Edition #6"

Assault Centurions vs Aggressors!

This was a very intensive comparison. They are so similar, yet fulfill such drastically different roles.

Check out the battle of the Elites here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/compare-contrast-readers-request-edition-6/

I also have a side note for Claws and Effect.

This comparison would NOT do the two units justice, in my mind, because the transport options (taking up 3 spaces), Primaris vs Non-Primaris caveats, and the desire to have aura support is what REALLY distinguishes these two units.

Soooo, I am creating an article for tomorrow that will address these issues.. It overlaps on concerns, I myself have had to address, when considering Primaris vs Non-Primaris and their transport options. It also highlights how some units REALLY want that aura more than most. If I am to give you an accurate comparison, that has true context, I have to do it completely and accurately, taking into account variables that REALLY matter. Just so you know where I am coming from on this. You will also get sweet graphics, so BONUS!

V/r,

Dan

Good comparison. One other minor note: you mentioned both have a guaranteed six shots with bolt weapons. Centurions are actually TWELVE hurricane shots per model at all ranges due to Bolter Discipline.

Gore Crow,

Looking over the information, it looks like you pretty much nailed it.  Well executed!  I did notice that under "attacks", then "contrast", you have D3 extra attacks.  I thought it was 6's cause an extra hit.  Just wanted to verify with you.

It is incredible to see others using this "process" to make it easier to compare the differences between units holistically.  Super motivating to keep creating content of value.

I am also curious if you were comparing before you buy or play?  I ended up going with the Achillus because my army needed ranged & extra melee anti-tank.  I have been very impressed with its performance fulfilling that role.

V/r,

Dan

<Good comparison. One other minor note: you mentioned both have a guaranteed six shots with bolt weapons. Centurions are actually TWELVE hurricane shots per model at all ranges due to Bolter Discipline.>

ShinyRhino, 

You are correct, sir.  I completely glossed right over that.  I will update the article right now.  So many rules interactions to keep up with...not that I am complaining :teehee: .  Thanks for taking the time to let me know!  

V/r,

Dan

Gore Crow,

Looking over the information, it looks like you pretty much nailed it.  Well executed!  I did notice that under "attacks", then "contrast", you have D3 extra attacks.  I thought it was 6's cause an extra hit.  Just wanted to verify with you.

It is incredible to see others using this "process" to make it easier to compare the differences between units holistically.  Super motivating to keep creating content of value.

I am also curious if you were comparing before you buy or play?  I ended up going with the Achillus because my army needed ranged & extra melee anti-tank.  I have been very impressed with its performance fulfilling that role.

V/r,

Dan

Thank you! w/r/t the Galatus Warblade, I was going by Battlescribe but it doesn't mention 6's being required on this datasheet either - am I looking at the wrong one?

I am indeed comparing before I buy! And I will probably end up with the Achillus for the same reasons as you as my usual opponent is an IG treadhead, but the sword and shield looked badass enough to warrant a good look! 

Happy Wednesday!

Today's first article is "Aggressor Squad vs. Centurion Assault Squad: Comparing and Contrasting Visually"

It is a continuation and visualization of the Compare and Contrast articles featuring these two units.

Are we getting that sweet context yet, Claws and Effect?

Later today, I will release a second part with additional graphics to close this out!  Now I can move one with my life...I  had a dream I was a Centurion last night...ugh...entomb me in a dreadnought already.

Feast your eyeballs here: --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/aggressor-squad-vs-centurion-assault-squad-comparing-and-contrasting-visually/

V/r,

Dan

Happy Wednesday!

Today's second to last article is "Aggressor Squad vs. Centurion Assault Squad: Comparing and Contrasting Visually - The Finale"

I swear, if ANYONE tells me they still don't know why and how to take these units, I will go full tactical on the analytics.  Claws and Effect, I hope I have exceed your expectations and filled in some gaps.

Burn these graphics into memory, here: --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/aggressor-squad-vs-centurion-assault-squad-comparing-and-contrasting-visually-the-finale/

V/r,

Dan

Last article for the night is up! This is an effort to bring some artistic and creative content to my readers. Making your battlefield look AMAZING for less than $10 and 10 minutes of your time. Once you get the supplies of course!

Get artsy here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/artistic-content-1-immersive-battlefield-enhancements-for-under-10-and-10-minutes/

You will probably enjoy a laugh or two as well.

V/r,

Dan

Nice job with the compare and contrast there.

I noticed 1 thing you missed, and 1 thing I always take into account when list building that you thus far have left out of you analysis.

First, the thing you missed: You can put up to 3 Centurions in a Stormraven, along with a buffing character and a freaking Dreadnaught. It's an incredibly mobile transport...that is pretty much guaranteed to be a bullet magnet. A great option if you go first, since even if your opponent blasts it out of the sky the unit inside is probably pretty close to where you wanted it anyway. Just don't roll a bunch of 1s.

Second, the thing you haven't been considering in your analysis: points cost.

If you equip 3 Centurions with hurricane bolters and melta guns you can get 6 Aggressors for only 18 points more.

A maxed out squad of Centurions is 90 points more than a maxed out squad of Aggressors. If you give the Centurions melta guns instead of flamers the points cost difference jumps to a whopping 186

Of course, being Raven Guard I don't have to worry about transport. A command point is a small price to pay for for me to avoid taking an expensive tank that otherwise has little use for my army.

Oh, and you can call me Claws or C&E. Everyone else does.

Edited by Claws and Effect

Good call on the Stormraven. As a Blood Angel player, it is a very good delivery method. They reason I did not address it was to keep the units "comparable" and more apples to apples. But I should have at least mentioned it. That was my bad.

As far as points are concerned, I am "point blind" for the most part. If there is a unit that I want to take, then I will make it fit and work. If the unit is expensive, I build around it. If it is going to be a chunk of my list in points, I synergize to keep it alive. The last concern for me is points. I look at roles and purpose. I want a unit to fufill an important function, and certain units are better at it, even though they are more expensive. I really try to actively avoid points discussions, because the points are never balanced, never capture the "whole value" you can get from a unit, and how you use units and their perceived value is independent from their cost. I *could* move devestators every turn and complain they never earn their points back...and so forth. Points are for me, a non-issue and have no value other than fitting under a cap. Min-maxing is only as good as the overall capability and versatility of the list. Just my perspective.

V/r,

Dan

Totally get what you're saying.

I mentioned the points difference in this case because their roles are similar enough that if I wanted to include a durable mid range unit to harass a flank, I would consider both units as options.

In some other cases the points literally don't matter because you will seldom see both units in the same force. I mean, realistically, a Baneblade and Knight Errant aren't going to be options very many players have to choose one of.

However, Aggressors and Centurions are very frequently units that players will have available to them equally, and points cost matters there. The question to ask in that case is: Will the Aggressors fill the role I need filled adequately enough to use the points I saved somewhere else?

It's a consideration that probably should have come up in the Raptors/Warp Talons article as well. Maybe even more so there because they're even closer in role than Aggressors and Centurions.

Playing Raven Guard I can discard the Transport concern because I have multiple ways of getting both units exactly where I need them. So, cost is a valid comparison for me. It also depends on the points level I'm playing at. 2000? Centurions for sure, maybe both. 1500? Depends on what else I need, but I'll usually go with Aggressors here. At 1000 points Centurions aren't even on my radar because the investment in them will hurt my army's abilities in other ways.

Edited by Claws and Effect

Happy Pre-Friday everyone!

Today's article is on "Mastering Assault".  I really went precise with the graphics in this article!  400% zoom and millimeter measurements.  My poor eyes...

See why millimeters matter, here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/mastering-assault-the-movement-phase-is-really-the-pre-charge-phase/

V/r,

Dan

Today's article is on "Mastering Assault". I really went precise with the graphics in this article! 400% zoom and millimeter measurements. My poor eyes...

See why millimeters matter, here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/mastering-assault-the-movement-phase-is-really-the-pre-charge-phase/

V/r,

Dan

Write, that was a real eye opener for me. I don't run much Assault in my Raven Guard any more, focusing more on movement and maneuver. But I never thought about moving to .999" for Assault so I can use the pile in and consolidate moves to move PAST a unit.

Putting that in my toolbox.

Today's article is on "Mastering Assault". I really went precise with the graphics in this article! 400% zoom and millimeter measurements. My poor eyes...

See why millimeters matter, here --> https://overwhelmingodds40k.com/mastering-assault-the-movement-phase-is-really-the-pre-charge-phase/

V/r,

Dan

I’m sold on everything in that article except the last graphic about the smash captain and the landraider. Pile in moves have to finish closer to the nearest enemy model than they started, which when you make the full 3” pile in straight towards the land raider would violate that rule. Consolidate has the same restriction but I figured we were just operating under the assumption that the land raider ended up being closest after that fight phase.