Having trouble with anything over t7

Brother Chaplain Tyranus

So I've been experimenting a lot with trying to find something that can deal with anything over t8. I've been playing a list with 2 doomsday arks and when they work they are amazing. But when they don't they are terrible. I'm looking for something a little more reliable. Last game my 2 arks ended up doing 3 damage in total to my tau opponent. I'm gearing up for a tournament and I want to try and find some reliable shooting that has less to do with rngesus.

What are you guys doing? With the heavy destroyers point drop im considering bringing a few 3 man squads of that. The other question is do I really care if land Raiders live if I'm not bringing any targets for las cannons anyway. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated

Heavy Destroyers are a great option, the other unit that can take the heavy gauss cannon being a Triarch Stalker. The unit I have that puts out the most wounds, save a DDA rolling hot dice, is a unit of six Destroyers with the Extermination Protocols stratagem (I like using the Talent for Annihilation strat as well). I hide them out of sight T1 typically but you could go Nephrekh and use Translocation Crypt or use the Veil of Darkness relic to get them where they need to be. Only thing that really hurts their effectiveness is negative modifiers to-hit and invulnerable saves. Edited by NTaW

Tomb sentinels are a pretty good option. The number of shots is random, but the guns are s10 ap-4 and a flat 3 damage. So, even if you roll a 1 on your shots you're still doing at least 3 damage. Plus they can deep strike, dont degrade, have good survivability, and a decent melee profile. They're well rounded and received a points drop in CA that they really didn't even need. Only issue with them is modeling. You've either gotta buy the FW kits or you can convert one out of three wraiths.

I like where your head's at. I sometimes take night scythes and hide them on the Tombworld. How do you get them up far enough without getting blown away?

The turn that they become effective is sort of based on the situation of the table at deployment. LoS blocking terrain plays a big part in that though it's pretty infrequent that a 10" move with FLY coupled with a 24" range fails to give me a target worth shooting. If you are able to deploy further up the table you could be shooting things T1, if you have to hang back a bit it may be T2 or even T3 against a conservative setup on a short-edge deployment zone.

I use a lone DDA to take pot shots and rush up with a Novokh contingent to keep the pressure on and keep my opponent thinking about target priority so that the Destroyers are less likely to be focused down.