Starting Iron Hands

ronster486

After a brief hiatus, I'm returning to the game with my original army: Space Marines. I used to run a standard Ultramarines gunline, but the Iron Hands style of hitting hard with heavy weapons has caught my attention. I sold my entire army over a year ago, so I'm starting from scratch. So far I've picked up a 5-man Intercessor squad and nothing else. I've got a $55 Games Workshop Gift Certificate, so along with a little spending cash I'm looking to build a small list for casual games with the eventual goal of being able to compete in bigger games.

So far, I've decided on running a Primaris Lieutenant and two 5-man Intercessor squads with Stalker Bolt Rifles, assuming that I can manage without a Captain in smaller games because of the natural re-roll 1's that Iron Hands have with heavy weapons. That brings me up to 239-240 points depending on what loadout I give the Lieutenant (I'm assuming the Stalker Bolt Rifle is worth the 1 extra point?). What are some TAC units that I can pick up to round out a 500 point list to get me back into the game? I've thought about a Dreadnought (Lascannon/Missile Launcher) to take care of bigger threats, since I can use a Strategem to make it a character, but I'm not sure how I'd add anti-infantry to the list. Assuming I bring a Ven Dread, I'm looking at about 120 points to spare. Some units I like are a 5-man Bike Squad or a Heavy Bolter Devastator squad. The Bike Squad doesn't benefit from the Iron Hands doctrine, but the Devastator squad definitely would.

To sum things up, I'm looking at what units would help early as an Iron Hands player (or Space Marines in general), so I can put together a small list to get back into the flow of things. Thanks!

Welcome to the Iron Hands :) Generally anti-infantry is easy to come by, your Troop units can handle them and they do well holding the line and capturing objectives so when in doubt adding more there isn't a bad idea especially when starting out. For some heavier guns Devastators are a good choice for IH as you've noted, maybe you should give some thought to how you might like to build your army/lists? That might help you decide what you want to add :tu:

Impulsors, supressors, eliminators,invictus warsuit, landspeeders, thunderfire cannons, and stormhawk interceptors are all hyper efficient multi role choices for iron hands. Big ticket items like repulsor executioner or relic leviathan dreads can really make opponents cry.

Iron hands have great internal efficiency, get what you think is cool! Also be prepared for opponents to be a tad salty as you reel off the list of extra rules that apply to your models. It takes a real gentleman to be a good sport with iron hands. Good luck!

Iron hands have great internal efficiency, get what you think is cool! Also be prepared for opponents to be a tad salty as you reel off the list of extra rules that apply to your models. It takes a real gentleman to be a good sport with iron hands. Good luck!

This is so true. Even after the nerf Iron Hands are still very strong right now.

Also to the OP, welcome back to the Astartes fold! I would strongly suggest that you think about what units you like the most and then pick an army based off the models you like instead of the rules. Rules change. Rule of Cool usually stays the same. You're safest bet is to build your own DiY chapter and play with what ever rules you want to play with. But I understand there is something special about building/painting an army themed after one of the legions. If you do end up sticking with Iron Hands I welcome you! :D There are not many of us on the forums, but we're all pretty chill and want to be as helpful as possible.

Lots of really cool advice so far. I'm really liking this chapter the more I look into their play style. I've played around with some lists in BattleScribe and came up with what I think is a good foundation. When I move up to 1000 points, I plan on bringing a Centurian Devastator squad of 4 and a Mortis Deadnought w/ 4 Lascannons Basically, it's as follows:

HQ:

Chaplain w/ Jump Pack, Crozius Arcanum, Boltgun. Litany of Hate/Mantra of Strength. Upgraded to Benadiction of Fury and Imperium's Sword

Lieutenant w/ Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

Troops:

Intercessor x10 w/ Stalker Bolt Rifle, Power Fist on Sergeant

Intercessor x5 w/ Stalker Bolt Rifle

Intercessor x5 w/ Stalker Bolt Rifle

Seems like a solid idea there. That will give you a good core to start playing with for sure. Something to keep in mind is that Iron Hands also have a very good relic force weapon, The Mindforge. So having a Librarian can work in place of the Chaplain as well. We have a ton of really good relics that can help you build strong lists.

Looking forward to your batreps and painted minis! :D

Centurion dev's are really good. Just remember there hurricane bolters don't get re-rolls. A unit of 4 should put a dent in most stuff at 1k but as the boxes come at 3 models a unit and they are VERY expensive you might want to consider.

Contemptor mortis dread is a solid choice, but FW models aren't cheap either. All good and all but if you are looking for a slow start..

You can look into stormhawk and or stormtallon. Both solid choices and the price is quite allright.

Edited by faithonwings

I didn't necessarily mean the Contemptor Mortis in my comment above, which is also an awesome option. I was referring to the FW rules for the 'normal' Mortis Dreadnought, which just had a price reduction. It's also below the 10 wound threshold, so it can be screened for as a character with March of the Ancients, unlike the Contemptor Mortis. Both are excellent either way.

A kitted out Impulsor would fit right in there, I think.  If you load it up with the missile array and stubber it's 102 points, I think?

Also fun and rarely seen is the Ironclad dread.  Doesn't really synergize well with Iron Hands except for the character dread strat, but I think they're just cool :P.

A kitted out Impulsor would fit right in there, I think. If you load it up with the missile array and stubber it's 102 points, I think?

Also fun and rarely seen is the Ironclad dread. Doesn't really synergize well with Iron Hands except for the character dread strat, but I think they're just cool :P.

Sure it does. You can move and fire the HKMs without penalty first turn, and its T8 so it benefits more from our durability buffs than regular Dreadnoughts or even Rhinos & such. Plus it has a built-in reroll buff in CC so the lack of Captains we sometimes see in our armies isn't that big a deal.

So I’ve done some theory crafting on a decent 1000 point list, based on some suggestions here. The Company Ancient is a bit of a filler choice. The other option is to take the Eliminator Sergeant’s Las Fusil in each squad and add a 4th Intercessor squad (or increase one to 10) in place of the Ancient for extra firepower.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [51 PL, 999pts, 6CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of extra Relics

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 90pts, -1CP]: 4. Mantra of Strength, Benediction of Fury, Boltgun, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate, Strategem: Master of Sanctity, The Imperium's Sword, Warlord

Lieutenants [5 PL, 62pts]

. Lieutenant: Chainsword, Storm bolter, Teeth of Terra

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Company Ancient [4 PL, 63pts]: Boltgun

Redemptor Dreadnought [7 PL, 155pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [7 PL, 155pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 108pts]

. Eliminator Sergeant: Camo cloak, Las Fusil

. 2x Eliminator with Las Fusil: 2x Camo cloak, 2x Las Fusil

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 108pts]

. Eliminator Sergeant: Camo cloak, Las Fusil

. 2x Eliminator with Las Fusil: 2x Camo cloak, 2x Las Fusil

++ Total: [51 PL, 999pts, 6CP] ++

Created with BattleScribe

That’s the plan. Since there’s no penalty for moving and firing heavy weapons, a few Redemptors and 15-20 Intercessors should be a good force to move up the field. I thought about Aggressors as a front line unit but they don’t benefit from the chapter.

Should I consider running a 10 man Intercessor squad with Bolt Rifles? Between that and 2 Redemptors I feel like I would have enough to clear a lot of infantry. Then the two 5 man Stalker squads and the 2 Eliminator squad can handle heavier stuff.

I’m hoping a smash Chaplain, 4 Las Fusils, and the potential of Redemptors in close combat are enough for heavier targets if I go that route.

Disclaimer: the following is a critique and is just my opinion im sorry if it comes off as overly negative

While all choices are strong for iron hands i o not see much outplay opportunity in that list. Iron hands get the most out of fly keyword and movement hint hint. You have no tricks or traps just raw stats and slow movement. You will brutalize poor generals who do not know how to dance with your midrange firepower and get murdered by melee deepstrikes and mobile ranged firepower of better more experienced generals. This army will not teach you how to win difficult games in my opinion. You need some nuance, some surprise, something that I cant out think in the deployment phase.

Supressors could replace a las fusil unit with a hard hitting deepstrike unit that can really force the opponent to worry. They are about the most tactically versatile unit out there for 45stormbolters. Fragile but they start in the clouds. Tiny footprint means they can find realllly annoying places to drop. Look for tall ruins nearest to characters.

Invictus warsuits can do what redemtors do with more range and movement. Forward deploy forces enemy decisions even if you never use it.

I would proxy test the las fusils before investing. If they start out front to get in range they will be vulnerable. 36" is not a great for foot slogging anti tank.

The problem I would see with the first list is that it does one thing well (clear the midfield) but is super vulnerable to getting out ranged and out maneuvered.

2 impulsors could replace a redemtor. More wounds, comparable firepower with psytalon and oh so speedy!