Road to CT Legacy ITC - 2000k

Morticon

Had two more games vs what i consider is one of the toughest Chaos space marine lists I've ever played.  It was unreal. 

The first game went 23-22 to him, super close but the score doesnt really reflect how badly i was being drilled.  

The second game saw a ten point lead to him after 6 turns. It was ROUGH.  

I dont want to whine too much about the same thing, but I think I've completely hamstrung myself with a set of units that just dont synergise well enough.  It's a newbie list - where there's a bit of this, a bit of that, that then  that then lacks the real combos to do much.  The entire list just lacks teeth and sees a great deal of units not really contributing to the battle in any meaningful way. 

My biggest let downs are the scous (regular) the incursors and the infiltrators.  

I have 3 more practice games before the tournament, and will see where i can try optimise things! 

Played two more games last night.  First vs a balanced BT list and second vs quite a hard core IH list. 

Happy to report I won both.  The IH game was won quite comfortably, too with the opponent calling the game at the end of 3rd turn (he had a Mortis dread on 1 wound and three Intercessors left).  

That being said, he was definitely playing loose and casual and positioned in a way that I dont think he really would usually - which really allowed me to capitalise.  He also forgot about the Cents- which really came down and put the hurt on. It wont happen again.  Also, first turn in this is super important.  

The nice thing is that in this game everything worked exactly how it should (some failed charges- but expected in that regard) but, the master of ambush worked well, along with the Shadow-Hate combo.  Sadly for me, he learned far, far more from me than I did from him.  But, it showed that with solid play and a little luck, there's at least a fighting chance - and I'm okay with that. 

FWIW, list was:

Chaplain Dread - LC

Chaplain Dread - LC

Primaris Lieut 

Tech Marine -bike

5x5 Stalkers

1x5 Scouts - 4 snipers

Redemptor

1x3 Elims

1x Mortis Dread - las

Stormhawk

Stormhawk

3x LandSpeeders- 2Typhoons, 4 HB

(Theres a chance there were three Chaplain dreads). 

Played my last practice game last night vs a triptide uber drone list (40+ drones, I believe).  

We only got to three turns because of the store closing but I was ahead 9-15.  Turn 4 would have seen some heavy swings, but I was confident that I can compete against the list.  There was decent terrain (L-ruins helped).  Its an interesting build, obviously built around absolute resilience.  But there some cool tricks. 

I'll let you know with more pics and battle reports! 

Follow us on BCP if you have (and you're not neck deep in LVO stuff :P )  - Cape Legacy ITC

Hey guys. Shattered (tired) after day one. 

Its going really well. 

Opponents were: 

Eldar  1 -  (29-11)

Imperial Guard 2 -  (25-24)

Iron Hands 3 - (25-19) 

Three wins for the Raven Guard.  Game vs a HORRIBLE IH list was amazing.   And the game vs IG was MASSIVELY tough, and only won because my opponent screwed up placement- he actually was smashing me.  

Up against DE on top tables tomorrow. 

Hey guys, sadly lost the last one quite badly. 

Alpha Legion are are amazing- they're like our evil twin army.   I didnt do my research and underestimated my opponent and paid for it dearly.

Made some HUGE blunders right in deployment and I think this swung the game massively in opponent's favour.  On top of this, the Alpha ability to prevent nearby strike is just so good, and was the perfect antidote to my sneaky RG which were really playing all over the show in previous games - the DE game was probably my favourite in that regard.  

A well deserved win in the finals to my opponent, and the fact so many of the top top guys (3) got draws it really opened up the playing field. 

Top 10 were: 

1.  Chaos Knights  (4w,1d - 159 BP)

2. Imperium (Massive infantry only brigade of Guard with WS and BA support).  (4w,1d - 125 BP)

3. Tau (4w,1d - 121 BP)

4. Iron Hands (4w,1L - 135 BP )  <- The list I beat! 

5. Drukhari ((4w,1L - 135 BP) <- Not the list I beat! 

6. Meeeee 
7. Drukhari (3W, 2L)

8. Custodes (3W,2L)

9. Iron Hands (3W,2L)

10. Imperium (3W,2L)  <- The list I beat.

Congrats! You placed quite well in what looks like a very hardcore competitive scene. It's nice to see some diversity in the top 10 spots of a tournament. That 2nd place Imperium Army looks interesting. Looking forward to read your wrappup of the event.

I’ll be very interested in details at some point. Like how you crushed an Eldar list.

Hey man! Let me know which games you'd like to know about. 

The Eldar list wasn't particularly optimised and the player wasn't top tier -so I really had a lucky draw game 1.  The issue was that I took it very lightly and played a relaxed game, purposefully not mining out all the BP i could so I would pair down.  It kinda backfired in the end pushing me to 6th, instead of a potential 4th!  

Game vs a HORRIBLE IH list was amazing

So you got me curious ... define HORRIBLE :smile.:

OMG challenging or What were they thining?

If it was "OMG challenging" it probably had a healthy amount of oblits+cultists and a Daemonsmith warlord for bonus hits on 6s for daemons/daemon engines.    Oblits that hit on 2s and get bonus hits on 6s can be overwhelming.

It was challenging! He had been ripping his opponents new ones, and in fact, the only loss of his tournament was vs. me. 

He was running: 

Techmarine

Librarian

Lieutenant

Chaplain

4x 5 Intercessors

2x 5 Scouts

Leviathan (Warlord)

Executioner 

Executioner

2x 3 Eliminators

Thunderfire

Thunderfire

I won first turn in an exceptionally important full deploy game.  He chose to have the option of Seize, and therefore rolled which board map he would choose. (For those that missed it, the tournament had a rule whereby you could either roll randomly for the board deployment and then have the winner of the first dice roll off choose their zone as per usual, OR elect to forego seize the initiative but select your board type and quarter. 

We got vanguard strike, and he deployed reasonably aggressively, putting his death ball of all the characters and the Levvy dread right behind a very large  central L-ruin.

I deployed a squad of incursors in reserve (as I selected them to be Engineers - the thinking that delaying a turn or two of thunderfire attacks would see me through). Also, the cents (as they did every game) went into reserve too.  The rest stayed on the board.  

He knew Ravenguard were able to redeploy to an extent, but didnt seem entirely clear on how it worked on account of his reaction when I moved Smashy and my VanVets after he failed to seize the initiative. 

This allowed me to capitalise hugely.   There was enough space around the leviathan to lock him in- basically meaning an entire turn of shooting would be avoided, and with any luck - two turns.  

The bad news was that I had to engage with almost all of his characters- meaning I was going to be facing some pushback.  

He had iron-stoned the Levvy - (perhaps underestimating his opponent?) - which was fine by me on account of me knowing that ANY shooting I had would be going for the Executioners. 

I moved my dreads in a way to get LOS to the furthest executioner - and blasted him.  With 8 lascannons, I managed to take it out. My stalkers then laid waste to his one squad of Elims and I took them out too.  My Korvidari Captain targetted the Libby but failed to wound.  In fact, over 6 turns he only wound up taking out 2 characters, I think (Turn 4 and 6).

Then came the charge - I sent in the smashy - which tagged both the Executioner and the Levvy.  Then, the Vets  wrapped the Levvy and engaged some characters. 
The charge saw a bunch of damage done with the 4Dam Hammer on the Executioner, and then the Vets put all available attacks into the Techmarine - pretty much ignoring the leviathan.  We managed to kill the tech too.  I burned 3 more CP to fight again and took the Executioner down to 2 wounds. 

TRAGICALLY - my bloody Vanvets rolled abysmally for their saves, and the enemy rolled very well for his attacks. Including a cheeky flamer overwatch, I wound up losing 5 of 8 Vanvets - i just managed to pass morale and ONLY thanks to the L ruin wall, and the base size of the Levvy was I able to trap him in place. 

My mind is a little blank with this, but Im not sure how I lost the Smash Cap.  He wasn't wounded, and he was locked in combat with the Levvy - I think it may just have been some poor rolls again.  But, yeah....that's perplexing he should been more than good to go for another round or two!!!  Anyway.... 

Turn two saw some fightback, including the wiping out of my vets.  This meant the dread was free.  But, I had severely damaged him.  He was a little thrown at the speed and aggression and early loss of the executioners and made a few mistakes.  I capitalised on this in my turn when the Cents came down and took out the other exectutioner. 

His levvy just nuked both my shooty dreads in one turn of shooting.  The rest of the time, I was focussing now on the rest of his army, essentially letting his dready do the damage.

By the end though, and thanks to the cents, I had cleared out both his engineers, and had kept him off multiple points- so while he was fighting back hard in some places and sometimes getting "kill more" - i was getting hold and kill and score more, and all bonuses.  

In the end, he had 2 squads of intercessors and the levvy left.  Solid RG victory