Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unit of the week: zoanthropes / neurothrope

Tyranid unit of the week Unit of the week series

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 173 posts
Goodmorning,

The start of the week heralds a new

LvLnMIE.jpg

We had some HQ, Melee and shooting units.

Time for a psychic powers heavy unit.

The zoanthrope / neurothrope.

I must be honest , I haven’t run them since 8th ed came out.
I made a new test army list with them in a adaptation fleet detachment to see how they fare.

How many would you run? 3 or the full 6?
Is it worth running them with the new adaptations you think? Anyone tested them yet?

Love to heat from you all :)

And have a merry biomass!

Edited by Spacecow, 23 December 2019 - 07:51 AM.

IronDreddKnight

IronDreddKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 186 posts
I prefer to run mine as Neurothropes for the following reasons:
- They’re durable with a 3++ and character protection.
- They’re cheap synapse beacons.
- Reliably cast powers with re roll 1’s.
- Can cast two psychic powers.
- Heals wounds via smite.
- Point for point more efficient than zoan’s.
- Second cheapest HQ to help fill out detachments.

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 173 posts
So I recently ran a brood of 3 zoanthropes and one neurothrope in a game together. Wanted to test how they’d do and if I should run 6 instead.

In all honestly the neurothrope is enough. I slotted him in as a filler HQ and it did it’s job.

Zoanthropes weren’t completely bad and it had its use. But I felt like I could’ve used the points for something better.

So I’m going to refrain from building another 3 for now.

Maybe 9th edition will give them a proper nudge.

IronDreddKnight

IronDreddKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 186 posts
Ive recently found my self casting duplicates of my 3rd edition zoey. Im planning on testing 2x6 units with neuro support.

(Im not committing to spending £180 to get enough models)

Ive read about a few lists have had success with max units. So Ive given them another look.

Pro's that are grabbing my attention are:

- they can potentially deal 15 mortal wounds per turn. (full squad,10+ roll and psychic scream)

- 18 wounds per unit with a 3++ invulnerable save.

- they provide a large and durable synapse footprint.

My concerns is the 480 points it costs.

Im of the opinion that zoey's only pull away from neurothropes in usefulness when they are 6 strong. So once 1 zoey is destroyed, i might as well of taken a neurothrope as far as out put is concerned. On the flip side, its still an 18W 3++ unit that cant be ignored.

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 173 posts
Taking in consideration you can’t keep casting the same psychic powers besides smite (+1 on test per extra use)

I’m already running a broodlord, swarm and or a flyrant.

So it’s rapidly redundant in list building . It’s also not that fast moving and horrendous in melee.

IronDreddKnight

IronDreddKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 186 posts

Taking in consideration you can’t keep casting the same psychic powers besides smite (+1 on test per extra use)

I’m already running a broodlord, swarm and or a flyrant.

So it’s rapidly redundant in list building . It’s also not that fast moving and horrendous in melee.

Kraken is a good hive fleet for zoey's the 3D6 advance roll really moves them along. Then double that roll with opportunistic advance. You can also use metabolic overdrive if you still need to close the gap. These movement hacks help you choose which enemy unit is closest for smite and psychic scream.
  • Spacecow likes this

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 173 posts
I know of these :)

I meant more in the greater picture. There are other units that are more versatile for point cost than zoanthropes.
I love how they look and feel sad cutting them out of most of my lists.
  • Jud Cottrell likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tyranid unit of the week, Unit of the week series

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users