Valerian and Aleya - thoughts?

Tbh I'm not surprised none of the BL models have had amazing rules so far so figures...

End of the day I'll get these models because they're neat(ish) not for the rules

Hoping for much more than that was always going to be misplaced

Disappointing, but I'll still take my fake vanguard of sisters to sit on objectives.

At least the dice look baller!

EDIT: The new Warhammer Community: If you’re up to speed with all the latest rules developments in Chapter Approved 2019, you’ll notice that, by only having the Imperium Faction Keyword on their combined datasheet, Valerian and Aleya cannot currently join an Adeptus Custodes Detachment without the latter losing their Battle-forged bonus. However, you need not worry, for it won’t be long before both factions will be able to fight as one once more, when the Talons of the Emperor join the epic battles of the Psychic Awakening

Edited by Gore Crow

Also, as the newest article seems to imply there's going to be something about these two in the future:

If you’re up to speed with all the latest rules developments in Chapter Approved 2019, you’ll notice that, by only having the Imperium Faction Keyword on their combined datasheet, Valerian and Aleya cannot currently join an Adeptus Custodes Detachment without the latter losing their Battle-forged bonus. However, you need not worry, for it won’t be long before both factions will be able to fight as one once more, when the Talons of the Emperor join the epic battles of the Psychic Awakening…

I mean, they're still technically illegal until whatever Psychic Awakening for Custodes and Sisters of Silence comes out, but hey. At least they've flat-out said it's not a permanent thing. So.... That's good at least? :lol:

Disappointing, but I'll still take my fake vanguard of sisters to sit on objectives.

At least the dice look baller!

EDIT: The new Warhammer Community: If you’re up to speed with all the latest rules developments in Chapter Approved 2019, you’ll notice that, by only having the Imperium Faction Keyword on their combined datasheet, Valerian and Aleya cannot currently join an Adeptus Custodes Detachment without the latter losing their Battle-forged bonus. However, you need not worry, for it won’t be long before both factions will be able to fight as one once more, when the Talons of the Emperor join the epic battles of the Psychic Awakening

This has got to be good news! I was super happy when I read this.

But will the FW sisters get rules? I still haven't pulled the trigger on those because I don't want paper weight models. Gahh I want to know!

I suspect they may pop up in the new Forgeworld indexes, i may consider rioting if not :D 

Valerian makes for very nice conversion possibilities...

For example, if you take Trajann Valoris, swap the weapon-heads and get two Warden helmets, you get...

The Captain General of the Adeptus Custodes (also known as 'Kitten') and the High-Executioner.

gH3PxSU.jpg

Bought the models today (and two sets of dice :D )

They're a bit of a pain to put together and annoyingly they seemed to have used the old soft crappy plastic <_<

Ohwell got them assembled just need to do the head swap and then at some point

I was really ticked. I got the figs but dice sold out fast online. I thought they’d be in the store but I was wrong and raced home to order them only to find them sold out. Sure enough on eBay I found some dice at 100 bucks, but refuse to pay the scalpers. 

Custodes is one of those armies I’ll always have and play but I keep missing out on the limited release stuff and thought by going to the GW store I’d finally score. The figs actually look great in person. I did email GW about their policy of selling online to eBay resellers while true collectors get the short end of the stick but i don’t expect any response. The dice sold out world wide really fast. 

good for you guys that got them. I truly hope none of you are profiting through GW choked supply line. 

I know the figs have met with negative feedback but I think they look fantastic and I have a feeling we will see some good things in their Psychic awakening. Also the news about mixing SOS with Custodes is pretty exciting. 

Edited by Prot

Bought the models today (and two sets of dice :biggrin.: )

They're a bit of a pain to put together and annoyingly they seemed to have used the old soft crappy plastic :dry.:

Ohwell got them assembled just need to do the head swap and then at some point

I was going to say that they seemed softer to me than normal... weird.

So, having just assembled the (not so) dynamic duo, I can say that, with 100% certainty, the "Christopher Walken head" on Valerian is once again, the GW Paint Team making faces look like :censored:, much like how the Guilliman model's official paint job makes him look like he's constipated.

Valerian's face actually matches the way he's depicted on the cover of the second book, 100%:
TJeEV5I.jpg

The plastic didn't seem much softer to me, but those mother :censored: laurels were a MASSIVE pain to glue on. (also I love how Aleya is the one I needed to put into a super complex sub-assembly set-up, whereas Valerian is "head only" :laugh.:)

Edited by Gederas

The Sisters of Silence models are generally very fiddly and have to be assembled a specific way to make sure the shoulders fit properly...otherwise they look a bit wonky. It can be pretty annoying, not all arms on a sprue fit all shoulders/cloaks. Guess GW decided to stick with that approach for her as well. Edited by sairence

I passed on Valerian and Aleya - I like both characters a lot, but I don't have any need for more stoic-static Custodes. Got the dice though, which will go nicely with the original limited ed. custodes dice from back when their codex was released. 

Man, I just love the army and hope, that the upcoming Talons rule in PA will finally incorporate the sisters as they should be. After that, it's time to roll out some more units / GW-proper vehicles for the Emperor's finest.

Man, I just love the army and hope, that the upcoming Talons rule in PA will finally incorporate the sisters as they should be. After that, it's time to roll out some more units / GW-proper vehicles for the Emperor's finest.

I think the game has passed by the Custodes, and a lot needs to be helped here, but after seeing Grey Knights, it's very plausible. And it could be as simple as some Combat Tactics, and incorporating SoS as has been heavily hinted by GW

The Sisters of Silence models are generally very fiddly and have to be assembled a specific way to make sure the shoulders fit properly...otherwise they look a bit wonky. It can be pretty annoying, not all arms on a sprue fit all shoulders/cloaks. Guess GW decided to stick with that approach for her as well.

Yeah. The back of her torso/shoulders is attached to her cloak, which if you attach you can't paint the backs of her legs and torso. And if you attach the arms, you can't paint the front easily.... :lol:

The Sisters of Silence models are generally very fiddly and have to be assembled a specific way to make sure the shoulders fit properly...otherwise they look a bit wonky. It can be pretty annoying, not all arms on a sprue fit all shoulders/cloaks. Guess GW decided to stick with that approach for her as well.

Yeah. The back of her torso/shoulders is attached to her cloak, which if you attach you can't paint the backs of her legs and torso. And if you attach the arms, you can't paint the front easily.... :lol:

To be fair, the fluff is quite clear that it is awkward to be around them.

Yeah. The back of her torso/shoulders is attached to her cloak, which if you attach you can't paint the backs of her legs and torso. And if you attach the arms, you can't paint the front easily.... :laugh.:
To be fair, the fluff is quite clear that it is awkward to be around them.

Touche :lol:

Speaking of which, I finished Valerian:

bcXNJ95.jpg

Well, might need to go back and do some highlights and touch-ups once I've slept, but he's done for my purposes.

So simply question if its 188 for both (or 94 for one). Talons get full incorperated as a single coherent fighting force. How would these two be?

I believe it is intended to be 188 points for both models as a unit. They can then operate independently after they are deployed together.

As it currently stands we will need to wait until the Psychic Awakening book for Custodes drops as this has been stated to contain updated rules for using both Custodians and Sisters of Silence as a Talons force.

Edited by .Torch.