Drop pods

IronDreddKnight

Grav Devastators. No penalty for dropping in and reroll 1s regardless of where they are with dev doctrine. Throw in a touch of gravitic amplification for fun, maybe some Mercy is Weakness for that extra spice. No messy 9" charge required.

Edited by Pandaemonium

Grav Devastators. No penalty for dropping in and reroll 1s regardless of where they are with dev doctrine. Throw in a touch of gravitic amplification for fun, maybe some Mercy is Weakness for that extra spice. No messy 9" charge required.

Sounds nasty! What squad size do you use? 5-10? If 5 the. Do you put anything else in the pod?

Scout snipers are an alternative choice for an annoying drop. Drop next to a ruin and exit right into shooting position on characters cowering behind terrain. I do not rate the cloaks but 2+ in cover is tough! Heavy bolter or missile great upgrade. Folks dont expect the tactic either. They expect the forward deploy. Ob sec to boot!

Sounds nasty! What squad size do you use? 5-10? If 5 the. Do you put anything else in the pod?

I’ve been screwing around with having 7-8 guys in the squad and dropping them in for my “hard” list. Yeah they’re likely to all be murdered in panic retaliation, but on the occasions where I can completely remove threats within LoS of them, whatever little resistance is left can be absorbed by the spare bolter guys and leave me with another turn of heavy firepower.

Scout snipers are an alternative choice for an annoying drop. Drop next to a ruin and exit right into shooting position on characters cowering behind terrain. I do not rate the cloaks but 2+ in cover is tough! Heavy bolter or missile great upgrade. Folks dont expect the tactic either. They expect the forward deploy. Ob sec to boot!

That’s some real outside the box thinking. I’m not 100% sold since they can already infiltrate. I do see the benefit of dropping ob secure units anywhere on the board.

I’ve been screwing around with having 7-8 guys in the squad and dropping them in for my “hard” list. Yeah they’re likely to all be murdered in panic retaliation, but on the occasions where I can completely remove threats within LoS of them, whatever little resistance is left can be absorbed by the spare bolter guys and leave me with another turn of heavy firepower.

Adding ablative wounds is a good idea. The grav unit is definitely something I like, I just don’t have the models

(I must be the only marine player who didn’t use grav in 7th)

What about sternguard in a pod? They’re strat makes them powerful sure, but they don’t synergise with IH doctrines.

That’s some real outside the box thinking. I’m not 100% sold since they can already infiltrate. I do see the benefit of dropping ob secure units anywhere on the board.

Thats the beauty of it. Choices! Heck combat squad em and do both. Flexibility is a Space Marine speciality. An empty pod can easy score you recon or behind enemy lines. More moving parts can breed mistakes but over all you will improve!