Swapped out a base, have question

So, I got Shadowspear for Christmas today. Yay! With the CSM, I swapped half of them over to being 'Zerkers with some quick converting (headswap, used a couple spare plasma pistols I had lying around) and the other half is being run as an MSU of Chaos Space Marines with one autocannon guy and a champion with counts-as combi-plasma, provisionally, until I can get a box of the multi-part. I put a bigger base on the autocannon guy because he's effectively a Havoc as far as his model's concerned. Is this okay? Would you play me and my 40mm CSM heavy?

You probably should use the appropriate base, in this case 32mm. That said, the general consensus I get from people is that if you have a different size base because you feel it looks better for the model and you are not doing it for advantage it's ok. Since range attacks are measured from the model and not base, I dont see it being a big advantage. I personally would play against you and not mind, though I would think it a little odd. People in tournaments might complain though.

I'd play it... but it's a standard auto-cannon CSM... not a Havoc, it should be on a 32. 

Or carefully clip it off the 40mm base and magnetize it's feet to put it on a 32mm or 40mm so there is no confusion at all for any of your opponents AND you could swap out whatever weapon you want. 

The more options a unit has, the more likely I'm going to magnetize especially with points changes coming twice a year.