=] 12 Months of Hobby 2020 [=

Grotsmasha

Two months left!

I, Gederas, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of November pledge to complete Six Marines of the Salamanders Chapter, and six God-Engines of the Legio Tempestus to the defence of the Imperium by month's end.

UHRfCLu.jpg

JMWw0GF.jpg

++ Request: Explorator Fleet Jaida: Audio Log Transcripts: 022.M44
++ Authorisation: Magos Grandan-5, Forge World Valstrax

++ Select Logs ++

--Final Transmission--

--Loading--

--
"There's... something under the ice... can't quite make out what..."

++Transmission Interrupted++

"-peror, what
is that? Tevin, go get the Techpriest, boy. I think he's gonna wanna see this..."

++Burst of Binary Static++

"By the Throne... it's
moving! It's movi-"
--

++Recording Ends++

gallery_46204_9220_117989.jpg

Vow Complete! :biggrin.:
I've got my scheme down to an art now - the Scarabs in particular took about an hour to complete all three lots.

More pictures in the spoiler tags below!

On the march, going the wrong way
gallery_46204_9220_13626.jpg
And my current Necron Family Photo:
gallery_46204_9220_154892.jpg

I really enjoyed painting these guys, but assembling them was a whole other story. I'd swear they're made of much softer plastic than the stuff from the last starter sets, since they kept bending awkwardly every time I tried to attach one bit to another. :ermm:

On the other hand, they're finished and I didn't break anything, so I suppose I can't complain too much! :laugh.:

Edited by Ace Debonair

Nice start of the month! Keep those piles shrinking! :)

I, MAJKHEL of the Blood Angels, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of NOVEMBER vow to complete 1 Invader ATV, 1 Primaris Techmarine and 3 Devastators to the defence of the IMPERIUM by month's end.

med_gallery_105306_14251_1412263.jpg

Devs may not look like it, but are in fact far from ready. Coming from a second-hand purchase, they require modification of the colour scheme and re-basing to match my army.

You know what brothers, I think I've done quite well so far this year.
So much so, in fact, I'm going to finally reward myself with painting and building the last of my 'Nid Warriors. :biggrin.:

I, Acemund Debonair, the Hawk of Talhon, hereby embark once more on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge! For the month of November, I pledge to complete Two (2) Tyranid Warriors of Hive Fleet Goliandr to the defence of the Chaos Faction by month's end.

Furthermore, I pledge to re-paint the Scything Talons of ten (10) Hormagaunts in the same time frame, although this is a comparatively low-effort task and as such I'd prefer not to score any points for it. Think of it as an out-of-competition vow.

gallery_46204_9220_38961.jpg

I am 100% going for rule of cool on my Big Bugs, so that's a second with scythes and swords, and then one with claws and spine fists - because pistols that you can punch things with sound like the most fun bio-weapon. :laugh.:

The Year of the Inexorable Advance continues! :thumbsup:

November

I, Reclusiarch Jolemai , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of November pledge to complete 1x Lieutenant to the defence of the Imperial Faction by month's end.

Hidden Content

gallery_62972_9848_407247.jpg

To do:
~ All of it.

I m really pushing myself this month as I want to get the Sisters done as soon before my attention gets drawn back to my Deathwatch. So big pledge this month, let’s see how far I can get.

I, Trokair, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of November pledge to complete 5 Crusaders, 8 Cherubs and 10 Retributors.

gallery_29932_13153_117158.jpg

gallery_29932_13153_92708.jpg

Part of my plodding along vow is complete. Just the skyweavers to do.

gallery_141590_16070_419457.jpg

I, Dwango , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of November pledge to complete 1 corsairs vyper of the sunblitz brotherhood to the defence of the Xenos Faction by month's end.

This is the last part of my vow for the aeldari event that I shared last month.

You have good eye, Trokair, I did changed the angle of the rear wheels

I basically chopped off rear wheels and re-aligned them. I then made a stiff scaffolding from plastic bits and plastic glue, which was then built over with a hard-drying miliput putty. If you want a more smooth finish, you can add a layer of GS on top of it.
gallery_105306_14251_366680.jpg

And yes, the weapons are magnetized. The trick would be to magnetize first and then position the gunner so that his hands are as close to the gun as possible, because the positioning of the magnet will set the position of the gun. For example in my picture above, the gun ended up more forward also because I wanted to compensate with the gun's position a bit in response to the raised rear of the ATV.

EDIT: you will still need to position the driver and gunner last in order to paint them.
So I'd say the steps would be:
1. Assemble the main body of the ATV without the driving section, magnetize weapon options

2. Assemble the driver and the gunner separately, arms do not need to be glued at all.
3. Paint the sub assemblies - main body, gunner, driver, driving mechanism, guns
4. Apply decals to the driver
5. Assemeble the whole kit
6. Complete painting /finishing touches

Edited by Majkhel

You have good eye, Trokair, I did changed the angle of the rear wheels

I basically chopped off rear wheels and re-aligned them. I then made a stiff scaffolding from plastic bits and plastic glue, which was then built over with a hard-drying miliput putty. If you want a more smooth finish, you can add a layer of GS on top of it.

gallery_105306_14251_366680.jpg

And yes, the weapons are magnetized. The trick would be to magnetize first and then position the gunner so that his hands are as close to the gun as possible, because the positioning of the magnet will set the position of the gun. For example in my picture above, the gun ended up more forward also because I wanted to compensate with the gun's position a bit in response to the raised rear of the ATV.

EDIT: you will still need to position the driver and gunner last in order to paint them.

So I'd say the steps would be:

1. Assemble the main body of the ATV without the driving section, magnetize weapon options

2. Assemble the driver and the gunner separately, arms do not need to be glued at all.

3. Paint the sub assemblies - main body, gunner, driver, driving mechanism, guns

4. Apply decals to the driver

5. Assemeble the whole kit

6. Complete painting /finishing touches

Thank you, I may try something similar for at least one of mine. Is there any space for the gunner to be positioned to one side or another so that the gun is not just pointing straight ahead?

Thank you, I may try something similar for at least one of mine. Is there any space for the gunner to be positioned to one side or another so that the gun is not just pointing straight ahead?  

Unfortunately no, unless you provide him with new feet as his original ones are part of the platform he stands on. 

Which is probably doable with a bit of GS work... Thanks for the idea :rolleyes: 

OK, so I got distracted.
But - and this is important - I got distracted with the same models I'm already working on. :wacko.:

More specifically, the bases.

See, my Termagaunts keep falling over. It's embarrassing.
One minute they look like a ravening horde of nightmares, poised to treat humanity like an all-you-can-eat biomass buffet, and the next moment they're pitching forward onto their faces, lying awkwardly in front of my Space Marines (who don't fall for the "I can't get up" routine). :wallbash:

Enter: Modelling Clay.
It's stuck to the underside of the bases, to give them some weight without being too intrusive. So far, it seems to work! Success!

...And that got me thinking about the bases for my 'nids in general.

I bought some Agrellan Earth a few days ago to try and pretty the bases up - who doesn't love arid Badlands - and then last night I saw a tutorial for what is essentially "shallow riverbed" bases, using contrast paints (of course) and Agrellan Earth.

So, three hesitantly painted bases later, I've finished the last part of my Tyranid Warriors, and am waiting for them to dry:

gallery_46204_9220_84868.jpg

I might have gone a little heavy on the drybrushing, but I think I've cracked* my basing problem!

I am definitely finishing this vow, possibly even today. :laugh.:

*Please forgive the pun, I swear it sounded funnier in my head :ermm:

--EDIT:--
gallery_46204_9220_3781.jpg

--
A physical quirk of the creatures spawned by Hive Fleet Goliandr is the material of their claws and bone-weapons.

Freshly spawned or void-born lifeforms will at first appear to have bone-hued claws, razor sharp and deadly. With age, however, and exposure to atmosphere, the material their primitive weaponry is crafted from hardens, turning to a vivid, shocking red. In this state, the bio-material is much harder and more resilient, but the edges will wear down with use. To this end, Goliandr swarmlings seem to sharpen their claws on a regular basis, and quite often in urban warfare stalking Gaunts or Warriors can be heard scraping the claws across stone, or if no stone is available, one claw against another, to keep the edge fresh for killing.

--

VOW COMPLETE!

Left to right: Terry (from an old vow), Timmy and Tyson the 'Nid Warriors:
gallery_46204_9220_63383.jpg
Back markings:
gallery_46204_9220_231094.jpg

Claws out for Hive Fleet Goliandr:
gallery_46204_9220_41491.jpg
gallery_46204_9220_105512.jpg
gallery_46204_9220_136203.jpg

Aaaand Clay under-bases for my drunk swarmy bois:
gallery_46204_9220_38224.jpg
Edited by Ace Debonair

I might have gone a little heavy on the drybrushing, but I think I've cracked* my basing problem!

Is it possible you sold some gaunts and a Lictor on ebay about a year ago? At that time, I acquired some Tyranids with a pretty similar scheme.

Is it possible you sold some gaunts and a Lictor on ebay about a year ago? At that time, I acquired some Tyranids with a pretty similar scheme.

Afraid not, I've never actually sold a model, and I haven't painted any 'nids before this year. :sweat:

Although I might wind up getting a Lictor, now you've given me the idea. :laugh.:

OK, so I got distracted.

But - and this is important - I got distracted with the same models I'm already working on. :wacko.:

More specifically, the bases.

Hidden Content

See, my Termagaunts keep falling over. It's embarrassing.

One minute they look like a ravening horde of nightmares, poised to treat humanity like an all-you-can-eat biomass buffet, and the next moment they're pitching forward onto their faces, lying awkwardly in front of my Space Marines (who don't fall for the "I can't get up" routine). :wallbash:

Enter: Modelling Clay.

It's stuck to the underside of the bases, to give them some weight without being too intrusive. So far, it seems to work! Success!

...And that got me thinking about the bases for my 'nids in general.

I bought some Agrellan Earth a few days ago to try and pretty the bases up - who doesn't love arid Badlands - and then last night I saw a tutorial for what is essentially "shallow riverbed" bases, using contrast paints (of course) and Agrellan Earth.

So, three hesitantly painted bases later, I've finished the last part of my Tyranid Warriors, and am waiting for them to dry:

gallery_46204_9220_84868.jpg

I am definitely finishing this vow, possibly even today. :laugh.:

*Please forgive the pun, I swear it sounded funnier in my head :ermm:

--EDIT:--

--

A physical quirk of the creatures spawned by Hive Fleet Goliandr is the material of their claws and bone-weapons.

Freshly spawned or void-born lifeforms will at first appear to have bone-hued claws, razor sharp and deadly. With age, however, and exposure to atmosphere, the material their primitive weaponry is crafted from hardens, turning to a vivid, shocking red. In this state, the bio-material is much harder and more resilient, but the edges will wear down with use. To this end, Goliandr swarmlings seem to sharpen their claws on a regular basis, and quite often in urban warfare stalking Gaunts or Warriors can be heard scraping the claws across stone, or if no stone is available, one claw against another, to keep the edge fresh for killing.

--

VOW COMPLETE!

Left to right: Terry (from an old vow), Timmy and Tyson the 'Nid Warriors:

gallery_46204_9220_63383.jpg

Back markings:

gallery_46204_9220_231094.jpg

Claws out for Hive Fleet Goliandr:

gallery_46204_9220_41491.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_105512.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_136203.jpg

Aaaand Clay under-bases for my drunk swarmy bois:

gallery_46204_9220_38224.jpg

Admin, can I use more than one "like" on this please?

Edited by Jolemai

I declare my first November vow complete:
gallery_105306_14251_1225517.jpg

I'm really happy with how tose came out, especially the Techmarine and ATV.

gallery_105306_14251_425136.gif

And following up:

I, MAJKHEL of the Blood Angels, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of NOVEMBER vow to complete 6 Tactical Marines and 6 Devastators to the defence of the IMPERIUM by month's end.
med_gallery_105306_14251_339928.jpg

As with previous Devastators, this is a long overdue project lurking among the depths of the Pile-of-Shame. Need some missing parts, new bases, paint-job unifications - simply: LOVE :)