Thoughts on 2.5k Thousand Sons (PotL)

ShadowoftheWarp

Hello everyone!

Me and my boyfriend along with a few other people have decided to get into the Horus Heresy as its collectively our favorite points in 40k's lore. With Ahriman being my favorite all time character it'd be wrong to not go with his legion!

The other players in the group are going with the following legions/factions:

- Legio Custodes

- Salamanders

- Word Bearers

- World Eaters

- Ultramarines

With that out the way here's my list

++ Rite of War: Pride of the Legion ++

+ HQ +

- Ahriman

- Praetor

. Arcane Litanies, Cataphractii, Asphyx Shells, Combi-Bolter, Cult Arcana: Raptora, Digital Lasers, 2x Psychic Mastery Level

+ Troops +

- Sekhmet Terminators

. x7 Terminators

. Cataphractii, ×7 Combi Melta, x5 Force Axe, x2 Chain Fists, Cult Arcana: Raptora

- x3 Veteran Tacticals

. 10 Veterans each

. Artificer Armor Sergeant, Asphyx Shells, Brotherhood of Psykers, Cult Arcana: Corvidae

+ Fast Attack +

- Javelin Attack Squad

. x2 Javelin Speeders

. Multi-meltas, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launchers

- Xiphon Interceptor

. Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Twin-linked Lascannon

+ Heavy Support +

- Heavy Support Squad

. x10 Marines

. Augury Scanner, Missile Launchers, Flakk Missiles, Cult Arcana: Corvidae

- Kharybdis Assault Claw

Thank you in advance!

Edited by ShadowoftheWarp

Greetings,

I'd advise the following:

- Generally, Ap2 weapons are absolutely necessary in Horus Heresy. Aside from Sekhmets you don't really have any. ( I'm not counting Meltas and Lascannons because it should be shooting at vehicles, not MEQ/TEQ. Though sure, Xiphon can be used for both roles) You could struggle even against sergeants and Custodes will be a nightmare to face. Some plasmaguns / Medusa / Vindicator / etc... would be really useful.

- Praetor is just too expensive to have poor wargear - I'd invest some points into him and purchase some invulnerable save and fist or paragon blade, at the very least a force weapon. Or does he have a Terminator armour and you just forgot to write it down?

- Sekhmets, Xiphon and Javelins are all excellent choices, though I wholeheartedly suggest Hunter-killers on the Speeders. They rarely survive more then a turn where I am from, so spending 10pts for twice as many missiles in the first salvo is worth it.

- My biggest concern are 3 Veteran squads. It's not that they are that bad or too expensive. Compared to the same points invested in Tacticals (15 marines strong), against marines, they are less durable, shoot equally good ( Shred means +50% effectiveness against T4, so same as extra 5 bolters), and are better in melee. However, this unit is still not really good against other Legiones - it's just bolters after all. You really should take some better weapons and hide them within the squad. Plasma and melta guns, power weapons, or even a few combi weapons. All those combined with powerful Veteran tactics can turn a mediocre, ineffective unit into a truly fearsome opponent.

That's all I have. Personally, I do not like Kharybdis, but since I've never seen one in play, I'm not going to discourage you from taking it.

Edited by Lautrec the Embraced