Using Mortarion

Wolf Lord Loki

Hi all.

Got Mortarion just before Xmas and am now starting assembling him.

Given some of the shakeups with Hateful Assault is that impacting on how you use Mortarion?

At the top end- on the charge- you can now get 6+1 attacks (which could be upwards of 21 roles to hit)

How would you use him or support him? I was considering plague marines in rhino's with close combat weapons

Hi all.

Got Mortarion just before Xmas and am now starting assembling him.

Given some of the shakeups with Hateful Assault is that impacting on how you use Mortarion?

At the top end- on the charge- you can now get 6+1 attacks (which could be upwards of 21 roles to hit)

How would you use him or support him? I was considering plague marines in rhino's with close combat weapons

You're going to have to team ole Morty up with something that draws the opponents attention just as much and is an equal level threat. Otherwise he's a turn 1 distraction for the opponent who is likely to fire everything into him.

I agree with Irate Khornate here.

In my opinion, as he stands now he is not worth the points and is more of a liability than a force multiplier.

I used him last week against my son and his UMs....dead before doing a thing (and that was a fluffy list with death shroud).  Unless you are really lucky and get the right deployment and first turn, he is just going to take a ton of fire.  You may get lucky and have him survive with one or two wounds, but he will still die turn two and is unlikely to have returned his points.

He really needs some help surviving.

I would love to see him either; boosted to T8, get a 3+ inv save, or a built in -1 to hit which can be buffed to -2.  Would be fun for a few months if he could have all three lol.

And against my son and his Tau.....it's not even worth considering.

Edited by happyslugger

Good support for Morty is some LoS blocking terrain, Warptime would be very helpful, and giving him the ability to advance and charge (i.e. Gnarlmaw). Taking some Deathshroud and/or going first can be crucial as well, but besides that not much really. Maybe a couple knights to draw some fire away from him?

Yea I still swear by Deathshroud and although it was last year, I took him to an ITC major and did pretty darn good. IF you get first turn he gets buffed. IF you don't, you better have ablative wounds somewhere. 

Some people have resurrected smash bro's (Mort and Magnus).

I don't have any knights but I do have a gnarlmaw. Would that count as a separate detachment allowing me to use my death guard detachment rules?

I'm thinking I might take a land raider so the lascannon can stab at any armour my friend brings, load up on plague marines in rhino and hurl everything forward

Taking just a gnarlmaw in a detachment also allows use of codex daemon stratagems as well. I believe the only one you can actually use unless you bring Daemon units is Daemon Possession, but it's not a bad one.

You could either summon some in or put them in a supreme command detachment with Morty, well some HQ and/or an elite. Or run your HQ/elite as Deathguard in that detachment and you could then mix both Death Guard and Daemons in you last detachment. This option allows you to also bring a Chaos Sorcerer with warptime.

Edited by McElMcNinja