Quantico 75th Riflemen

War Angel

zZSfXXM.jpg

So here’s the snap fit cadians im working on. I’ve got 30 more still to go. I’m going to add these 15, 5 more, and 10 normal guardsmen to make a 30 man conscript squad.

So far, the five in the back are as seen on the box. The forward 10 have all had their heads cut off and either repositioned, swapped with one another, or straight up replaced with one from the left overs.

I can’t remember who, but I think a few people have mentioned breaking up the silhouette. I’m not sure turning the head does that exactly, so I’m thinking maybe a few leg swaps, or if I cut them at the waist i can rotate them?

Instead of backpacks these guys will have their kit in the pouches and such that they come with. No bayonets fixed, and a white right shoulder pad. Maybe a white stripe on the helm too. Not 100% on that yet. Also going to give them rubble for bases. Keep it simple. 30 guys is a lot. Not going to do any blood or bandages for them, they’ll be fresh to the fight. Probably a guy or two throwing a grenade.

So.... does that sound like it will work/ be enough? Can I get away without doing the torso/leg cutting?

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving; everyone else, have a good weekend!

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been hard at work regretting painting a batch of 30 at a single time. Up front is three members of a special weapons squad (lets be honest, it’s only a matter of time before they intermingle with everyone else in the company, but for now I remember them from that batch) and in the back is the untested mass of bodies that makes up first platoons conscript’s. I’ve started working on the camo patern, still have the guns and grenades to do, as well as the bases. I’m quite happy with the white stripe and shoulder. It almost makes them look like they belong to a different regiment, but the lore says that conscripts are often treated as though they aren’t part of the regiment until they have proven themselves, so in that regards it works right? What do you guys think?

n9Bnnwc.jpg

Oh I absolutely am not keeping myself motivated. More like suppressing the chaos. I just try to get a bit in here and there. Paint while watching mordian glory, or other videos like baldamort. Sometimes just music. Also started watching RWBY again, but seeing as ive cought up to where I left off, i can’t really paint and watch at the same time.

Just finished the camo patterns, now it’s time to do the weapons and equipment, then it will be just the bases.

GoWz9S3.jpg

Paint while watching mordian glory,

Well dodgy that bloke is :laugh.:

Sorry, there should have been an “I” in there, I wasn’t trying to give orders. Lol.

No I mean Mordian Glory lol. Those Mordian boys are well shifty, with their smart uniforms and shiny boots. Too scared to get their hands dirty and dig a trench like a real guardsman... 

Hey if you other guardsmen want to play in the mud like savages then be our guests. Just don't expect us superior Mordians to sink to your level!

Now if you will excuse us, we need to go and carry out our hourly boot polishing before the big push. You surely can't expect us to attack a fortified position without shiny boots!?

Ahh yes the dazzle and charge tactic... :laugh.:

Just finished the camo patterns, now it’s time to do the weapons and equipment, then it will be just the bases.

GoWz9S3.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention the other day the camo is looking spot on. Done a good job there. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I dropped in to comment on the great alternate scheme for the conscripts and how it lines up with the Whiteshield lore 

However on closer inspection looks like some disciplinary action is also in order... :verymad:

Any troopers whos boots I can see the whites of my eyes in by 0500hrs standard can report to the Commissariat immediately after inspection :thumbsup:

Some of you might not like this. And for that, I apologize. Well, not really.

And now, a story.

“Eyes on me and shut your faces” her voice boomed across the hanger bay effortlessly even without any form of voice amplifier. “From this point on, under penalty of death you will not speak unless spoken to.” 1000 young men and women stood on yellow footprints inside the hanger of the spaceship. Their homeworld, still visible through viewports behind them, grew smaller with each passing second. For all, this was their first time off world. Most were nervous, but many of them were also excited for the opportunity’s promised to them.

“Your homeworld has been saved from destruction of xenos filth by the combined might of the Imperium forces, namely the Adeptus Astartes of the Eagles Eternal chapter. They have seen the hardiness of your population, your will to survive, your inability to surrender; and they have decided to offer 1000 of your youth a chance the serve them as chapter serfs. You assembled here have volunteered for this great honor, and the chapter thanks you for your coming service.”

“The Eagles Eternal are a force constantly engaged in conflict. Their armor is marked with a thousand failed attempts to take their lives. Their weapons have taken more lives than you’ve seen. They have slain more Xenos than you know exist. And they have campaigned on more systems than you will ever hear of. It will be your job to serve these great warriors in whatever task they deem worthy, and in return you will be offered the opportunity to see more of the Imperium than most see in ten lifetimes; and you will serve the glorious Emperor more than a hundred of your ancestors before you could.”

“But, in order for you to properly serve your charge, you must understand a small taste of his duties. You must be hardened by the crucible of combat. I am Chapter Serf Senior Drill Master Seras Rashira. It is my responsibility to train and prepare you for combat. I will be assisted in this task by my fellow Serf Drill Masters” she gestured to the other men flanking her on each side. They stood smartly, arms crossed behind their backs, their faces half hidden behind their campaign covers. They were like statues. “I am the Chapter Masters Serf, and I report only to the senior officers of the Chapter. If any other agencies of the Imperium have questions for me, I do not answer until I have been instructed to do so by them and them alone. So if you have a problem with me or my commands, I suggest you discard them before I do.” At this point many noticed the finely detailed golden bolt pistol at her side.

“You will be trained in drill, combat, and life saving procedures. You will be pushed to your limits, and then past them. You will not quit. I will not let you. Should you fail, you will die. Disobey an order, and you will be shot on the spot. Because in the field, cowardice will not only cost your life, but the lives of those around you. I will not let cowards bring down those who faithfully serve the Emperor. If you don’t do your job, I’ll shoot you myself. I carry the authority of the Chapter command, and my staff carries my own. You will obey them as you would myself.”

“At this time, are there any questions?” Her fingers tapped gently on the bolt pistol at her side, daring anyone to speak up. “I didn’t think so.” She said it with a knowing smile.

“When you receive the command, take charge and carry out the plan of the day. Welcome to the Quantico 75th Riflemen. Drill Masters, you got ‘em.” And with that, as she turned and walked from the hanger, all hell broke loose.

So, we can’t have conscripts without a commissar to keep them in line. With the new way that moral works in 9th, and a one always passing, fishing for 1’s is going to save some lives. So filling that billet we have the Senior Drill Master herself. Don’t tell anyone, but she counts as a lord Commissar. Probably heretical for her to use that title though, so Senior drill master. Also fits the idea that she’s in charge of the new recruits.

QamYKDp.jpg

And a group shot of her and her “recruit platoon” (30 conscripts may function as a squad, but that’s at least the start of a platoon). Now you might notice she’s pointing her service pistol at one recruit in particular, more on that later.

DhewKhf.jpg

TJWHLRO.jpg

lkCakPp.jpg

ECEIjmm.jpg

And finally, four of the more dynamic models from the unit. The two on the left are quite obviously snap fits, but if you look closer, or put them next to their snappy brothers, it’s easy to see that they have a different posture. I cut them in half at the waist to reposition them. I immediately decided that I wouldn’t ever be doing that again, and settled for one of each pose. A decision that immediately paid off for me. Moving to the right two models, I did a little more work with their arms. The furthest right was originally supposed to be signaling forward with his hand like a knife (I don’t know if many of you have heard of knife hands, but some of you have) well, it didn’t work out so well after a few attempts and I had already repositioned his arm so I decided to put his hand on top of his rifle. I’m pretty sure there’s no tactical advantage to him doing this, but he’s a dumb recruit, so it works!

And finally we have the guy pointing..... I think I was going to do something else with this, but it became this, and I immediately hated that he was going to be a conscript, but really just wanted to use the idea immediately, to add some different silhouettes to the clump. So... why do I hate him? Little bleep is giving orders. He’s a recruit. A conscript... a white shield! He doesn’t give orders to ANYONE. And he’s not pointing his weapon!!!! So yeah, Seras is about to issue some discipline. Lol

I'm curious about Senior Drill Master Rashira's background. Is she a descendant of Chapter serfs- themselves descendants of youths the Eagles Eternal took from worlds the Marines saved, as compensation for the Chapter's services? Will some of the youths she drills become Marines in turn, or are they already too old to receive gene-seed?

I'm curious about Senior Drill Master Rashira's background. Is she a descendant of Chapter serfs- themselves descendants of youths the Eagles Eternal took from worlds the Marines saved, as compensation for the Chapter's services? Will some of the youths she drills become Marines in turn, or are they already too old to receive gene-seed?

Glad you asked. When the chapter recruits from Fidelis, they leave no witnesses, so they end up taking people too old, or even women. It’s usually near battlefields (planet is early musket era) anyone who can’t become a Marine becomes a serf, unless they’re too damaged and then they become a servitor.

Now, a position of power such as hers, (I’m thinking all officers and command staff) would only belong to descendants. From what I understand of the lore, commissars are usually from a more elite class, possibly specific worlds if I’m not mistaken? It would seem officers are sometimes also coming from higher families, so I like the idea that my officers are coming from Fidelis, or are descendants of. This would also mean that they speak the native language of the Marines, and are better able to follow battle plans. Now I don’t see any reason why she couldn’t have been born on Fidelis, the company’s return as able, and on rotation for recruitment.

None of the serfs recruited will become Marines. The chapter would only take Fidelis natives, and any Fidelans who have become serfs have already missed their chance to become Marines. Those who are too young to become serf-guardsmen will just have to wait till they can begin training (not sure what age that is, 7 I guess by Spartan standards. In two years I’ll report back on the feasibility of this practice).

Now tell me what you think of this idea. I thought it would be fun if those who were related to Marines that became serfs would then become serfs for their ancestor. Kind of adds some element humanity to them. Little bit of salamander vibe, but in a bit of a darker way.

Sometimes, there are boys who are too young to begin training to be a Marine taken on Fidelis, in these instances they are taken care of by the serfs, and will begin some of the training with them. They will go on to try and become Marines, if qualified. As will Fidelis serf descendants.

Regarding commissars: IIRC, the Schola Progenium takes orphans of those who died in service to the Emperor, provides basic education and, after determining which role each orphan is best suited for, trains them to fulfill that role- from Astra Militarum officer to Administratum scribe to Sister of Battle, as noted in the novel Cain's Last Stand (republished in the Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium omnibus). One trained as a commissar will most likely be a commissar's descendant, though as Ciaphas Cain himself notes, that's not guaranteed (Cain claims his parents were criminals who joined the Astra Militarum to avoid arrest by authorities of the hive he was born in).

Now tell me what you think of this idea. I thought it would be fun if those who were related to Marines that became serfs would then become serfs for their ancestor. Kind of adds some element humanity to them. Little bit of salamander vibe, but in a bit of a darker way.

I think it makes more sense a Marine will not publicly admit those serfs are his relatives, hardening his heart so he will not hesitate to sacrifice those serfs to achieve a mission objective. He may privately mourn them afterwards, but as a Marine is no longer human, mourning and other human expressions of emotional weakness will be suppressed.

So, I managed to score something I’ve wanted for a while now. Quake cannon craters! I always wanted some of these, but missed out. On a whim, I checked EBay Sunday and found some for a fairly reasonable price I think. Now I don’t think I ever knew, but it’s actually 2 sets of four halves, so I’m wondering if the right play is to glue them together, leave them separate, or find some way to magnitize them.

These things are awesome though, I’d love to have a second set but this might have to do, as I can’t imagine many are in circulation these days.

InSq43J.jpg

Edited by War Angel