Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Primaris Land Speeder & Bikers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

Borbarad

Borbarad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 248 posts

I can't conceive of any advantage to GW in leaking this particular image. (I don't believe they leak any personally, they don't need leaks to generate hype these days!)

The quality is so poor it detracts from the quality of the product itself.

To me the real question is, why did whoever leak this, leak it at this quality? What's the point? I also do not believe GW does leaks to themselves.

The picture looks like it was upscaled from a very small visual; meaning that the leaker only had access to maybe a printout or digital copy of a document that had this picture small scale; as opposed to the original or even taking the picture themselves.

• Aztek likes this

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,965 posts

I can't conceive of any advantage to GW in leaking this particular image. (I don't believe they leak any personally, they don't need leaks to generate hype these days!)

To me the real question is, why did whoever leak this, leak it at this quality? What's the point? I also do not believe GW does leaks to themselves.

The picture looks like it was upscaled from a very small visual; meaning that the leaker only had access to maybe a printout or digital copy of a document that had this picture small scale; as opposed to the original or even taking the picture themselves.

Yep. It was probably a Icon for a website link, or a very small 1"x1" image that is meant for a index, or heck, a Adepticon Print out pamphlet

• Borbarad and Aztek like this
banana

Omega-soul

Omega-soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 302 posts

My plan is to storm their facebook with questions about those image.
Actually - I think if we as community mange something like flashmob - GW will succumb.

or you could be patient and wait for them to talk about it when they're ready.

Well I could be patient and wait for immortality pills and never bother with anything, but thanks for advice.

As for this particular situation - leak is already here - you can't unsee it an GW obviously can't unrelease it. But for what it's worth they could capitalize and build up some hype upon that leak.

It's good for community and therefore for GW.

• Lucerne likes this

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
It could have been someone working in a print factory taking a quick picture while no one was looking. That would be necessary as the printing companies GW employs are under strict confidentiality agreements, so staff would be banned from taking pictures.

A GW manager told me about how a printers lost a contract over something like that. An image was leaked from a White Dwarf before official publication. The printers lost their contract.
  • Triszin likes this

O787td6.jpggallery_38474_6916_6036.jpg

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,144 posts

I disagree in the strongest possible terms. Literally anything is better than GW treating upcoming products like they're state secrets- at least this gives people some idea of what's being released in the future.

It isn't a multi-year list of releases with preview pictures but I'll take what I can get.

Edited by Lucerne, 04 January 2020 - 08:45 PM.

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts

I disagree in the strongest possible terms. Literally anything is better than GW treating upcoming products like they're state secrets- at least this gives people some idea of what's being released in the future.

It isn't a multi-year list of releases with preview pictures but I'll take what I can get.

Aren't you confusing the act of the initial leak and the subsequent response to it here?

torcathmk2

torcathmk2

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 82 posts
GW tells the world what they'll be releasing the new PrimarisBike and land speeder later in the year.
Meanwhile every 3rd party company worth their salt starts planning their new BigStarSolider motorcycle and hover gunship.
Exact same thing happened when they started last year with the Sisters, suddenly female religous space warrior kickstarters everywhere in order to beat the GW release.
It's not unreasonable to expect GW to try and future protect sales.
  • andes, Magos Takatus, Pork Chop Express and 7 others like this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
GW may actually know what they are doing with this one - they probably don’t want to start building hype to something that isn’t coming for five-six months when they have other things to release in between.

They may also know that they are terrible at the “hype-machine” and are attempting preemptive damage control against the segment of the gaming/modeling population that would demand release “NOW” instead of later on it.

They may even internally be looking for the source of the leak to see what needs to be done about it, and tipping their hand could possibly damage any kind of recourse they might be attempting to take.

Even the current need/demand for “official recognition/comment” regarding the leak shows that they could actually cause themselves problems by doing so.

It is understandable why they’d keep mum on something like this, and it doesn’t really change anything for us.
  • Triszin, Wolf Guard Einar, Volt and 3 others like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,144 posts

GW tells the world what they'll be releasing the new PrimarisBike and land speeder later in the year.
Meanwhile every 3rd party company worth their salt starts planning their new BigStarSolider motorcycle and hover gunship.
Exact same thing happened when they started last year with the Sisters, suddenly female religous space warrior kickstarters everywhere in order to beat the GW release.
It's not unreasonable to expect GW to try and future protect sales.

Honestly, I think GW would do better just to offer previews anyway- their sole selling point by their own judgment is quality, anyway- so keeping people in the dark indefinitely just makes them frustrated enough to turn to those very third parties because for all they know, they may never get the GW model so why wait for the "privilege" of paying extra to GW at some point that isn't even hinted at?

Aren't you confusing the act of the initial leak and the subsequent response to it here?

I'm saying that GW should be grateful to the leaker for doing what they refuse to for their own community.

Edited by Lucerne, 04 January 2020 - 09:39 PM.

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,701 posts
They do give people an idea of what’s coming in the future. They just aren’t doing it to *your* liking.

Edited by wildweasel, 04 January 2020 - 09:59 PM.

• andes, Pork Chop Express, fire golem and 4 others like this

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts
I fail to see how leaking a few pixels benefits 'the community' in a way which we don't already benefit.

Care to elaborate as to how?

Mazer Rackham

Mazer Rackham

++ SCLOPETATOR SIMULAMINIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,199 posts

=] Since we can't have better images or nice things, this topic is now closed pending further information [=

Use the Report button if anything new comes to light.

=][= Deathwatch PBP Game =][=

Indexes:

IA: Scions of Gehenna IA: White Paladins

To no man, does the earth mean so much as to the soldier.

When he presses down against her, when he buries his face and his limbs from the fear of death by shell-fire, she is his only friend, his brother, his mother.

He stifles his terror with her security; she shelters him and releases him, only to receive him again and again.

And often, forever.

- All Quiet On The Western Front. (Abridged).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users