Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best use of new relics for the Alpha Legion?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,501 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands
I've been pondering the best use-cases for each of the new relics, and the Drakescale Plate in particular had me a little confused. Given our mix of rules that can make a character nigh-unhittable, the Drakescale seemed like a waste. It's only use I could see was FNPing mortal wounds...

And that's when it struck me. The Drakescale is a relic for sorcerers! They don't have Invulnerables so the 2+ and 5+++ improve durability, the FNP can be used on MWs taken from Perils, you still get a multidamage weapon from your default force options, and it doesn't prevent you from taking a jump pack.

It's a viable alternative to a Terminator Sorcerer.
  • Juggernut and ChazSexington like this
Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,027 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors
Also would be good on Apostles I imagine.
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 6,567 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons
Or the executioner, they're rather squishy...
  • Juggernut likes this
"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he´╗┐ saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
  • Faction: Chaos
That's a good point - a built-in Perils defense. Could be neat. But the other relics still outshine the plate, at least to me.

Speaking of, has anyone given the Wail a test drive? It seems like it could make for a good turn 2 ability, but I've yet to give it a go.
  • ChazSexington likes this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

ChazSexington

ChazSexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 958 posts

Summary from my most recent casual game vs Eldar:
Warp Talons in Host Raptorial (Red Corsairs): Failed their 7" charge and got slaughtered by Guardians. Feelsbadman.

Exodus: Man, Viper's Bite and Headhunter is insanely good. Sniping characters left, right, and centre. Easily my MVP. I forgot Hateful Volley, but I'd like to know whether I can even use it and whether I can use Daemon Shell with it. 

Chosen: A good choice; use a Cultist or CSM (for -1 to hit) screen and Conceal for added durability, supported by Exodus for re-rolling 1s, and my plasma gun and power sword-wielding Chosen were solid. 

CSMs: Still hit like a wet piece of paper. However, cheaper at least. 

Cultists: Still suffer from the lack of -1 to Hit and 30-man max squad. They die insanely fast to just about anything due a lack of LD and the ease with which they can be slaughtered. 

• Brother-serpent Tylydox and Luthorhuss like this

Call_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01a.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifgallery_48988_15465_48576.pnggallery_29004_15471_42509.png

Ceterum autem censeo Macragginem delendam esse.

Luthorhuss

Luthorhuss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts
Im planning to give cultists miasma and -1 to hit prayer and make them engineers in itc. Blob of 30 for sure

ChazSexington

ChazSexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 958 posts

Im planning to give cultists miasma and -1 to hit prayer and make them engineers in itc. Blob of 30 for sure

I'd say you'd be better off with CSMs due to opportunity cost. The -1 to hit prayer is much better spent on a good unit, while CSMs already have in-built -1 to hit. 120pt + DA (70-odd?) is a lot of points to be spending on 4 VPs. 

Call_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01a.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifgallery_48988_15465_48576.pnggallery_29004_15471_42509.png

Ceterum autem censeo Macragginem delendam esse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users