Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deathwatch and blood angels 2000pts competitive

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
So I’m trying to run my deathwatch in the face of the space marine meta at the moment. Let me know what you think

Inquisitor: Blackshroud, Bolt pistol, Chainsword,
Ordo Xenos, Psyker
No overwatch power
WL trait: regen opponents cp on a 5+

++ Battalion Flesh Tearers
+ HQ +

Captain: Cretacian Born, Hero of The Chapter, Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun, Quake Bolts, Thunder hammer

Librarian Dreadnought: 1. Quickening, 6. Wings of Sanguinus, Furioso fist, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad x3 cc weapons

++ Battalion Detachment
Blood angels

+ HQ +

Astorath: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 4. Mantra of Strength, 5. Recitation of Focus, Invocation of Destruction, Litanies of Hate

Captain: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord

+ Troops +

Scout Squad x3

+ Elites +

Vanguard Veterans with jump packs. All have storm shields.
4x thunder hammers
4x chainswords

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) ++

+ HQ +

Librarian with Jump Pack: 1) Veil of Time, 2) Might of Heroes, Bolt pistol, Force sword, Jump Pack

Watch Master
The Beacon Angelis

+ Troops +

3 squads of Veterans x10
Biker
Black Shield: Storm Bolter, Storm shield
Terminator x 2: Power Maul and Stormbolter
Vanguard Veteran: Bolt Pistol, Storm shield
Veteran x 4: Storm Bolter, Storm shield
Watch Sergeant: Storm Bolter, Storm shield

Edited by Madmonkeyman, 31 December 2019 - 10:46 AM.

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
So the idea is the blood angels act as the anti tank in the army

Deathwatch kill teams are amazing and take a lot of killing with 7 storm shields and 2 termies each. They can screen the characters and are super mobile with the bikes and the teleport homers.

Watch master is great and carries the becon for the redeploy
The libi is great as his powers work in all space marines . So has veil of time for reroll charged for blood angels and might of heroes to get the smash caps and astorath up to full strength to help kill knights.

Blood angels

I have two 4damage smash captains with no overwatch or use quake bolts on the one with the bolt gun as quake shells
Isn’t limited to blood angels so it makes the death watch and vanguard to hit in 2s in combat. The blood angels one takes detachment company upgrade.

Astroath can be buffed to s8 and 5-6 to wound is damage 4.
He gives +2 charge and also the extra attacks on a 6 to hit.

The libi dread is also amazing as he can move 24 and +3 charge. Would be better as blood angels but i need him
In the flesh Tearers detachment.

Vanguard marines are just more storm shields and decent in close
Combat.

The inquisitor is a nice source of cp and good for deny overwatch power

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 543 posts

The deathwatch are solid as they are, for what you want them to do: front line mob to deal with troops and push objectives.

You say blood angels are the anti-tank but your primary anti-tank weapons are all melee. I would argue that that isn't really anti-tank, but rather a support for anti-tank. For purely deathwatch, you have the options to also use tempest shells and the Clavis stratagem for the watchmaster. The amount of CPs you have also allow you to utilize the +1 to wound stratagem for deathwatch. Back up by the inquisitor generating CPs, you shouldn't have a lot of issues in needing to prioritize stratagems across the army. You also have smites available to you as well.

You cannot give faction relics (and stratagems) to a different faction so yes the quake bolts relic is limited to just blood angels. You can give a deathwatch dude the banebolts relic if that's your intent.

My worry is not having ranged anti-tank is going to hurt you, A LOT. Iron hands favor long distance heavy weapons for their doctrine/tactics and will give your list the most trouble. Knights would as well. You could do some work against other factions with a couple of anti-tank vehicles, with the exception of astra militarum spamming artillery.

Some suggestions to think about:

- Add in a Ven dread or replace an HQ with a Chaplain dread to get a lascannon into the fray

- Add in either a combi-melta or combi-plasma for the vet units (the +1 to wound strat can assist greatly)

-- If you add multiple plasma or melta, consider a frag cannon instead for every 2 combi

- 3 Battalions may not be the way to go in order to deal with tanks and flyers...specifically for deathwatch, even 2 battalions have difficulty achieving this

- Add some missile launchers to the scout squads and hide them in the back... fantastic substitute for anti-tank weapons for infantry focused armies

Edited by Mobius0288, 31 December 2019 - 04:05 PM.

Deathwatch | Imperial Fist | Imperial Knights | Skitarii | Inquisition

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
Thanks for getting back to me !!
It’s a fair comment on the lack of range vs iron hands

The quake bolts has to be on a blood angels character but anything attacking the target it in close combat Benifits from the effect.

The difficulty of putting a few heavy units in the list is they are quickly destroyed but by giving my opponent just storm shield to shoot his heavy weapons are waisted. I hadn’t considered taking combi weapons but that could be a good idea. I had always just gone for storm bolters.

Previously i range 3 tank commanders with a relic cannon which was working well. The trouble is I don’t see them lasting long as there is so much long range antitank at the moment. Maybe I need to give them another go.

The blood angels are quite unique in that they get where they need to be and are some of the best antitank in the game.
One can pregame move- advance and then move again and gets +1 to charge so has a 43 inch threat range.

The others tend to come in from reserve with 3d6 rerollable charges with +1 or 2 to charge depending on buffs. With deathwatch killing screens it’s fairly good.

The smash caps will kill a knight with a 4damage hammer especially if I get off might of hero’s as the. He wounds the knight on 2s with 8-10 attacks . Even astroath should be able to do it if he fights twice.

The libi dread is also super quick with a 24 inch move and +3 to charge

I’ve tried to include a bunch of ignores overwatch as playing iron hands is a real pain. 2 ignores overwatch captains / a power, and even the half damage on the dread will work to get him in.

The main issue for me is deathwatch can’t kill primaries in cover very well.

Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,167 posts
Ok looking your list over it seems finely tuned for efficiency, that said I don't think your Blood angels bring enough to be true anti armour when screens can be an issue.

You have the right idea on how to run the DW, I would still consider taking null zone to help answer invun save hordes on the librarian instead of might of Heros, more buffs on buffs is good but I think it's better to spread out a little.

The veteran squads look good and are very useful when deep striked in, yes they are good at holding ground (with a 36 inch effective range with movement and ammo taken into account) but are slow if they start in your deployment zone as they still have to footslogger and high weight of attacks, not quality is what kills these guys.
Keeping that in mind a jump pack captain may be better for deployment where you need them and use the beacon to pull units up, rerolls are not as good but because of lack of heavy weapons your only losing rerolls on 2's most of the time.

Now if your worried about about having enough points on the table and not having over the allowed requirement with BA I understand, it's been years since I have played them so I'm not familiar with them any more.
Another option for troop is a 4 aggressor, 5 Intercessor and 1 Inceptor unit, comes in around 280 but has a boat load of power fist attacks, with auto Bolters can advance and fire, mows down mobs, fall back and fight still but is also a toughness 5, 25 wound block which in cover is hell to shift.

No downside for the inquisitor, great little fluff character which can be very helpful, points well spent.

In regards to the force lay out I think points may be better spent by dropping a single ba HQ and 3 scout squads, maybe arm with snipers and cloaks for denying deep strike and helping to pick away characters where you can't reach, I also second the call for missile launchers on scouts if the points allow.

With the saved points you can consider a dedicated anti armour ranged threat.
If in DW you can use the deep strike strat when you know you are not getting first turn to avoid fire, alternatively now BA have doctrines a autocannons leviathan could be a valid option depending on how they measure up to marine dreads.

On the issue of cover however if it can be done and you make the DW character your warlord and chose the knowehere to hide trait a unit you select loses the benefit of cover, combine that with the tomb of eccolades for choice rerolls you can have a hail of -2ap Vengence rounds rerolling 1's to wound ignoring cover, the beacon may be of more use on the librarian with the jump pack to pull units into key positions.

"In all my years of Study and Contemplation on the Imperial Truth, as close as I can figure out, it has something to do with Being on Fire."

Direct Quote from Chief Scribe Sweideger Steiger, Shortly before being burned to death by Sister Superior Larisa for Crimes of Heresy

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
Well I’ve got a one day tournament to test it out at the weekend. Was hoping to get some practise games in to see if the list works at all.
I think the lack of range may be an issue.... we will just have to see how much of one!

Will post how I get on
  • Duke Danse Macabre and Mobius0288 like this

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
So I took it to a one day tournament today. Played some really hard lists. Played a iron hands list with 6 flyers and a bunch of war suits and thunder fire cannons. I lost that game but I think I didn’t deploy well enough. It’s a winnable game for sure but iron hands are solid and I didn’t deploy well enough.

I won vs 8 eldar flyers and some night spinners. I also won vs 3 chaos nights and nurgle drones.

The list is different than my usual style so takes a bit of getting used to. Protecting the characters is really important with the deathwatch and they work so well at that role. In a space marine meta they don’t kill much but that’s not their job. I would have love to use the wL trait no where to hide but there is not enough cp as the blood angels use it all.

I didn’t run the quake bolts in the end but I think i May use it in the future and it’s synergises so well with the rest of the army.

The smash cap moving pre game is amazing. Over all the list is very good but need refining and I need a bit more
Practise at hero hammer.
  • Duke Danse Macabre and Mobius0288 like this

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
So this is the next version of the list to try tonight. less cp at 14. But I’m Going to make the death Watch my WL so I can get the no where to hide trait. I think ignores cover is massive for deathwatch armies.

The make up of the kill teams is pretty standard now. I don’t find more than 1 termi is that useful at the moment as there is not a lot of ap0 in the game anymore! The bike is amazing for movement combine with the jump pack.

If trimmed down the blood angels a bit but they are really good and remain the best antitank in the game. That one 4d no overwatch captain killed 600-700 pts of my opponents arm t1 in 2 games this week if I get first turn. Not sure of mephistone over a libi dread, both are amazing.

Then use the iron hands heavy detachment to bring 2 thunderfire cannons and a Morris dread ( using the strat to make him a character so he can’t be targeted ) And a chaplain dread who again can’t be targeted. Use the master artisans and the extra iron hands trait for lots of rerolls for hit / wound and one for damage . The chaplain gives +1 bs to the Morris dread with his mantra.
The other trait is the 6 inch HI as it’s just funny in a detachment mainly of characters.

++ Battalion Detachment (Imperium - Inquisition) ++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

+ HQ +

Astorath: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 4. Mantra of Strength, 5. Recitation of Focus, Invocation of Destruction, Litanies of Hate

Captain: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord

Chief Librarian Mephiston (Primaris)

+ Troops +

Scout Squad
Scout: Combat knife
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Chainsword

Scout Squad

Scout Squad

+ Elites +

Sanguinary Guard
Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

+ HQ +

Librarian with Jump Pack: 1) Veil of Time, 2) Might of Heroes, Bolt pistol, Force sword, Jump Pack

Watch Master: Nowhere to Hide, Warlord
The Beacon Angelis

+ Troops +

Veterans
Biker w/ Teleport Homer: Twin boltgun
Terminator
Power Maul and Stormbolter: Power maul, Storm Bolter
Veteran: Storm Bolter, Storm shield

Veterans
Terminator

Veterans
Terminator

Heavy support detachment 1cp

**Chapter Selection**: Born Heroes , Iron Hands, Iron Hands Successor, Master Artisans

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought: 1. Litany of Faith, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Target Protocols, Twin lascannon
Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Mortis Dreadnought
Two twin lascannons: 2x Twin lascannon

Thunderfire Cannon
Techmarine Gunner
Servo-harness: Flamer, Plasma cutter

Thunderfire Cannon
Techmarine Gunner
  • infyrana likes this

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 543 posts

Pretty solid. That spearhead is gonna solve most of your anti-vehicle issues while letting your DW and Blood angel characters do work. Makes me wish Deathwatch had scout options, especially at their current cost compared to Vets.

infyrana

infyrana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,641 posts

That list appeals to me in a few ways when it comes to souping - I quite like it - Astorath, TH-Captain, Dreads, Deathwatch, all stuff I have in abundance!  A curiosity on a personal note, is there any substitute to scouts whatsoever, be it units or models themselves?

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
Yeh I think the range will help. It’s not a huge amount of heavy weapons but it should fire most of the game as it’s hard to interact with.

I like scouts for deep strike denial and t1 move blocking against knights / lord discordants etc. They are also useful for hiding up board to help screen characters. They do die quick though.

You need the cp to run blood angels so cheap battalions really help.

I do think veterans are one of the best choices in the game though.

Will let you know how the game goes- it’s against all the space marine filth (15 centurions ). Should be fun

Edited by Madmonkeyman, 07 January 2020 - 05:37 PM.

• infyrana likes this

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
Had a very narrow loss. It’s a bit rough going second vs that many centurions / thunder fires and whirlwinds ignoring cover. Still he only had 2 thunder fire cannons and a whirlwind left at the end of the game.

Those untargetable dreads with their rerolls are amazing back field units.

Centurions really do destroy deathwatch squads though!

Still overall very good list I think

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 543 posts

That's when you need more terminators! But at the same time, the mortal wounds part is what really hurts our storm shield spam.

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
The termies don’t make a difference - everything is ap-1 from
Tactical docterins on the ravenguard centurions . With their Long range marks man so the flamer is in range on deepstrike . So it’s 6d6 flamer and 36 bolter shots at ap-1 ignore cover per 3 centurions.

Those 2 little dreads sitting at the back of the board killed so much stuff. I think they killed 7 centurions , a thunder fire , 2 whirlwinds.

So I played against the most broken / top tournament list at the moment and killed everything but 240 pts. So it’s a winnable game for sure.

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
I’ve been searching for some time for a good antitank range option to go with d watch. This is the best I’ve found so far. It doesn’t sound like much but 6 las cannons hitting on 2s with loads of rerolls to hit and wound and a damage reroll. Which can shoot all game as they can’t be targeted. It’s also not bad in cc.

The 2 thunder fires would be good as well but they died straight away due to the army I was facing.

infyrana

infyrana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,641 posts
Nice work, thank you for the update! It's only the chaplain dread who's not targetable right, the normal mortis dread is?

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
You use the iron hand March of the ancient strat to make him a character. And he is under 10 wounds. Then they have the master crafted trait and I have him wL trait no 6 for and extra bunch of rerolls as well. So it’s almost full rerolls to hit and wound and if the litany goes off the Mortis is bs 2+

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
Also realised that you can’t do the hero of the chapter on both blood angels and iron hands as it’s worded the same in 2 different books :-(

So you could build the list using either the extra iron hands one or use the d watch one. You 100% need the blood angels one for the 4d no overwatch captain.

Difficult choice as ignores cover is big on the d watch but those dreads are amazing. Rerolling a key damage roll on the las cannon is really important.

Also not sold on the sanguinary guard over vanguard vets in the list.

Edited by Madmonkeyman, 08 January 2020 - 10:31 AM.

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 543 posts

From a purely competitive standpoint, you could explore salamanders for a dreadnaught back line since they get the reroll hit and wound roll per unit. Great for lascannons, but assuming you stick with the blood angels hero strat.

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
I’m using iron hands successors to get the rerolls to hit from master artisan. And the iron hands wL trait for some more rerolls

You also get the 4+ deny strat as well

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
So the next few games I will be testing if another dread ( Contemptor Mortis with quad las with the iron stone who is targetable but seriously hard to kill as 4d becomes 1 with the dread strat. Also the Techmarine gunners can heal each turn ) is better than 6 sanguinary guard and mephistone.

Also still deciding on mephistone vs libi dread. They have the same roll in the list of crazy moving assault unit with 24 move and +4 to charge. Mephistone can buff stuff with +1 attack power as he knows one more but is only D3 damage vs 3 damage AP-4 of the libi dread. Mephistone can get in a bit easier as he is infantry.

Death watch component is solid and I’m happy with it. The bike and the jump pack together give the squads a 14 inch move which is amazing. I haven’t noticed any loss in dropping down to one termi as everything has crazy ap at the moment.

So the list has changed a lot from pure hero hammer. Now it’s way more balanced but still keep the theme of untargetable characters behind storm shields.

So have solid back field antitank. Good no los shooting . Good anti light infantry shooting and objective holds and some hero type characters to destroy big threats and flyers. It’s also super durable and doesn’t care about first turn.

Just need a few more games to see if I like the extra deepstrike threat vs the extra las cannons.
  • Mobius0288 likes this

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
So had a rematch on a heavy terrain board with the extra dread. Went first and tore apart the ravenguard cents list. 24-13 win to me this time itc scoring.

An open board would have been much better for the dreads.
Only start with 7 cp so not the best. May experiment with a chaplain dread instead.
those centurions destroy deathwatch though. They are just so good for their points. Weight of fire at ap-1 ignores cover kills the d watch.

So the list can compete for sure but it’s not as easy as taking a full army of new marines :-) but where is the fun in that!!

Edited by Madmonkeyman, 14 January 2020 - 09:57 PM.

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
so after some thought I think the Contemptor Mortis is not worth it as it’s 2cp for the relic and 1 cp a turn for the strat for half damage. That will use up 4-5cp in a game which I don’t have! The chaplain dread has 2 less las cannons but knows an extra power and is a decent combat threat so My back field is safer.

The death watch can my primary detachment with my wL for the ignores cover trait and the relic becon Angelis.

The blood angels it’s good to choose pregame what’s good. depending on match ups I can make the libi dread artisan of war and give the captain the 4d hammer, or if I need the no overwatch then take the relic back pack/ artisan on war on the captain.

I have 3pts left over so it’s a choice between a libi dread and mephistone ..... big choices to make. Dread hits harder but mephistone knows the +1 attack power as well as the standard wings/ quickening. Mephistone can also charge through walls which means he’s a bit more manoeuvrable.

I could try and squeeze back in the inquisitor for 55pts for cp regen but would have to trim down the d watch which I don’t want to do.

Overall it’s a very solid list- I can take on most things with it at a tournament. It’s a wall of storm shields. Untargetable las cannons and super smash characters who have crazy movement.

I’ve beat a 8 Aldari flyer list and a 15 centurion list as well as knights with versions of the list. Still need to beat iron hands though.

14cp- start with 10
(Mortis dread character, death company, hero of the chapter and blood angels relic =-4cp)

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

+ HQ +

Astorath: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 4. Mantra of Strength, Invocation of Destruction, Litanies of Hate

Captain: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord. Death company-1cp

Librarian Dreadnought: Furioso fist, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad

Scout Squad

Scout Squad

+ HQ +

Watch Master: Nowhere to Hide
The Beacon Angelis

+ Troops +

Veterans
Terminator

Veterans
Terminator

Veterans
Terminator

Iron hands -1cp

**Chapter Selection**: Born Heroes , Iron Hands, Master Artisans

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought: 5. Recitation of Focus, Litany of Hate, Twin lascannon

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought: 2. Catechism of Fire, Litany of Hate, Twin lascannon

+ Heavy Support +

Mortis Dreadnought
Two twin lascannons: 2x Twin lascannon

Thunderfire Cannon
Techmarine Gunner

Thunderfire Cannon
Techmarine Gunner

Edited by Madmonkeyman, 17 January 2020 - 09:28 AM.

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
So last test game went well with a 27-20 win over the centurions list. (3x3 assault, 6 grav. Raven guard. Then 3 whirlwinds and 3 thunder fire ) all imperial fists .

The extra chaplain dread is great and way less cp intensive then the contemptor Mortis with iron stone.

I went for the iron hands wL trait for an extra reroll hit / wound and and damage and dropped the deathwatch ignore cover as it’s only against one unit. If it was army wide it would be way better.

Used the libi dread relic for reroll a psychic test as well - never came up but was nice to know he was reliable to get wings off !
  • Mobius0288 likes this

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts
The only other thing I may try is dropping one chaplain dread for 3 cyclone missile launchers and 2 frag cannons on the kill teams.

What’s people experience of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users