Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deathwatch and blood angels 2000pts competitive

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 593 posts

Adding 1 cyclone missile launcher in a team is good, particularly if you're planning to deep strike or play around mid-field. It's also ideal to have the watchmaster nearby for the 1's and 2's reroll when ya move. If you want to spam missiles or have a dedicated long range team, I would consider missile launchers on vets instead. A lot of people in other forums have knocked missiles in deathwatch but its one of the most flexible choices and works well with troop spam.

Frags are also a great all around choice. My experience is that more than 2 or 3 would not be worth the points, even in a maxed out storm shield squad. Suicide squads are a different story and different role...

Or if all your doing is looking a charge deterrent, infernus bolters aren't in a bad spot. Combi-flamer for the Sgt and 2 infernus bolters, and still got plenty of SIA to play with. Plus hellfire shell options... I know you're set on maxing the storm shield/storm bolter, just some extra info.

Deathwatch | Imperial Fist | Imperial Knights | Skitarii | Inquisition

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 344 posts
Yeh I need to get it on the table to see. I used to use the termies to tank ap0 shots but they don’t exist anymore :-) cyclones will hit on 4s as I will be moving most turns but I have the watch master rerolls.

I think 6 missiles and 4 frag shots is better than 2 super accurate las shots on an untargetable dreads with a power fist with the +1 wound litany. He gives more back field defence but Opponents can stay out of LOS of him easier.

As for the frag cannons I was just interested as I’ve never used them and they are assault. I don’t think they will work as a charge deterrent unless my opponent is a bit dumb as it’s one model with an 8 inch range in a unit of 10 models.

I’ve got the glasshammer gt in a few weeks. Everyone brings super competitive lists and there is loads of LOS blocking. Should be fun....

Edited by Madmonkeyman, 23 January 2020 - 05:26 PM.

• admordem likes this

admordem

admordem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts

Hey mate, was wondering if you happen to have some form of battle report for a new player like me to help understand how to run this list?

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 344 posts
I haven’t done a bat rep in a while. Things keep getting in the way.
I’ve been running variations of the list with blood angels / d watch and something else for a while. This version is actually easier to play as the dreadnoughts are characters and untargetable.
The chaplain dreads are good but may be nerfed at some point in the future so don’t invest too heavily In them.

The basic idea is loads of characters behind loads of storm shields. That being said the basic set up.

All 3 dreads are characters so it’s easy to set them up without too much worries. Just make sure something is in front of them such as a t fire cannon or a d watch squad out of line of sight. Really depends on how much indirect fire your opponent has.

Deathwatch: Have 2 units of d watch in the sky with the watch master with the beacon Angelis. They can all come down together and the watch master can drag the last unit over to him. The other way of doing it is quickly redeploying them t1 off the teleport homers if you put the homers on the front line. The best way to move the deathwatch in subsequent turns is to string them out making full use of the bike/ jump pack movement.

Blood angels . Start the smash cap at the front of your army if you are getting turn 1. You can screen with scouts or keep him behind terrain. He has a 42 inch threat range with the forlorn fury strat turn 1 so you opponent has to deploy around him or they will loose a huge chunk of their army. People always underestimate how far he goes!!!
I usually aim him at a big ruin my opponent want to set up behind so he has to set up in the open instead. You can also redeploy using wings of fire but I think it cost too much cp but it also forces your opponent to screen t1.
Astroath and the d watch libi buff the smash cap turn 1. This tends to mean starting the d watch libi next to the smash cap.
If you go second you can always hold him in reserve and use the 3d6 deep strike charge. When he gets in use all your cp on him if he’s at a set of good targets. So fight twice and d3 extra attacks. Astroath should have given him exploding 6s litany and the libi gives him might of heroes so he is +1 attack s10 and he has death company strat so he has 7 +d3 attacks. You can then consolidate him into something to try and kill him to fight when he dies as well.

With the fight twice you can attack units spaced less than 9” apart with good positioning of your models.

The libi dread just moves up the board. If you cast wings 2 turns in a row he gets more movement as it changes his movement characteristic as well to 12”. Only thing to say with him is pop smoke on the turn you go to attack with him as he tends to get a lot of fire the next turn. You can use quickening power and the d3 extra attacks and might of heroes power to make him get loads of attacks.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • infyrana and admordem like this

admordem

admordem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts

Thanks mate, that's super helpful. Especially the deployment tips!

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 344 posts
So since the “big update “ I think there are going to be some amazing combos with dark angels and iron hands . Will post up when I get some play testing done. Was keeping up with with competitive marines before they got nerfed so excited to see what the deathwatch can bring now
  • Mobius0288 likes this

Debauchery101

Debauchery101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 832 posts

The only other thing I may try is dropping one chaplain dread for 3 cyclone missile launchers and 2 frag cannons on the kill teams.

What’s people experience of them.

That would be a poor choice. I would drop a terminator from a kill team to take 2 frag cannons though. Because they are the same range as storm bolters.

A chaplain dread has bs2+..with las cannons they are the best AT snipers. Depending on the chapter you can add some sauce on those guys to make them more lethal or durable. Plus they come with baseline aura for str boost, invulnerable save, character, can use litanies...like catechism of fire +1 wound or recitation of focus +1 to hit.

The 2 I use with my salamanders do work. The rerolls and ignoring the ap from AP-1 weapons like Autocannons is awesome
The Pleasure God's Chosen

Emperor's Children (RIP) 2500 pts
Death Guard 3500 pts
Iron Warriors 3000 pts
Enslaved Traitor Guardsmen 1500 pts
Daemons 4000 pts
Salamanders 3000 pts
Necrons 2000 pts

Debauchery101

Debauchery101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 832 posts

So since the “big update “ I think there are going to be some amazing combos with dark angels and iron hands . Will post up when I get some play testing done. Was keeping up with with competitive marines before they got nerfed so excited to see what the deathwatch can bring now

like what? Abuse the copy pasted pre-FAQ doctrine rules and stratagems? If not then please enlighten me...if so then you should be ready for people to not play you

Death Guard 3500 pts
Iron Warriors 3000 pts
Daemons 4000 pts
Salamanders 3000 pts
Necrons 2000 pts

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 593 posts

like what? Abuse the copy pasted pre-FAQ doctrine rules and stratagems? If not then please enlighten me...if so then you should be ready for people to not play you

Did he say he was going to abuse the pre-FAQ doctrine? Are you really going to ask that when you literally just posted your own list allying space wolves? You just posted 2 hours prior and now your going to come back to instigate a fight?

There's so much more to test out rather than worrying about duty eternal and whatever version of combat doctrine is current. If you played your list, we'd be looking to see how your list did as well.

Deathwatch | Imperial Fist | Imperial Knights | Skitarii | Inquisition

Debauchery101

Debauchery101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 832 posts

Did he say he was going to abuse the pre-FAQ doctrine? Are you really going to ask that when you literally just posted your own list allying space wolves? You just posted 2 hours prior and now your going to come back to instigate a fight?

There's so much more to test out rather than worrying about duty eternal and whatever version of combat doctrine is current. If you played your list, we'd be looking to see how your list did as well.

It was an inquiry that's all dude. There are a lot of people who are not up to speed on errata and people who will intentionally play the rules as written until gamesworkshop unf***s itself.

I honestly am not envisioning what kind of combos DA and DW could take advantage of. Now thinking on it more I am not sure if all space marines from different Detachments/chapters in an army would follow the same doctrine stage
  • Mobius0288 likes this

Death Guard 3500 pts
Iron Warriors 3000 pts
Daemons 4000 pts
Salamanders 3000 pts
Necrons 2000 pts

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 344 posts
So this is what I’m using at the moment

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) [69 PL, 766pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain [6 PL, 90pts]: Jump Pack

Watch Master [7 PL, 115pts]
The Beacon Angelis

+ Troops +

Veterans [20 PL, 199pts]
Biker w/ Teleport Homer: Twin boltgun
Black Shield: Storm Bolter, Storm shield
Terminator
Power Maul and Stormbolter: Power maul, Storm Bolter
Vanguard Veteran: Bolt Pistol, Storm shield
Veteran: Storm Bolter, Storm shield
Watch Sergeant: Storm Bolter, Storm shield

Veterans [18 PL, 181pts]
Terminator

Veterans [18 PL, 181pts]
Terminator

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [32 PL, 553pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ravenwing Talonmaster [9 PL, 188pts]: 1. Impeccable Mobility, Warlord
Land Speeder: Twin assault cannon, Twin heavy bolter
Talonmaster: Power sword

Sammael in Sableclaw [11 PL, 200pts]

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
4x Scout (Shotgun): 4x Astartes shotgun, 4x Bolt pistol
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [45 PL, 679pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ravenwing Talonmaster [9 PL, 188pts]
Corvus Oculus
Land Speeder: Twin assault cannon, Twin heavy bolter
Talonmaster: Power sword

+ Elites +

Deathwing Ancient [7 PL, 76pts]: 1. Lay Low The Mighty, Warlord
Fist & Storm bolter: Power fist, Storm bolter
Pennant of Remembrance

Deathwing Knights [24 PL, 355pts]: Watcher in the Dark
9x Deathwing Knight: 9x Mace of Absolution, 9x Storm shield
Knight Master: Storm shield

Ravenwing Apothecary [5 PL, 60pts]
Black Knight Bike: Plasma Talon

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 344 posts
It’s either the dw knights or an extra tallon master and 3 chaplain dreads (iron hands). Or keep using the blood angels list posted above.

Personally I really like the dw knights as they hit so hard with a 6 inch charge from deepstrike.

Do like the extra ap on the deathwatch.
If I don’t need the deathwing wL trait I can always use the deathwatch one for ignore cover or 6+ fnp

Madmonkeyman

Madmonkeyman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 344 posts
So I played a practise game vs a chaos mechanised list - 7 wardogs, 3 helldrakes, 3 disco lords. it performed very well. The deathwatch are very good now with the docterins for the extra ap.

The deathwing knights are just amazing but precise placement is needed to maximise how hard they hit.

The tallon masters are just ok and really suffer from the change in docterins. I really like the list and combines all my favourite units.

I wanted to experiment with a primaris kill team instead of a vet squad. Any ideas on the optimum load out. I think given that the rest of the units have storm shields it may make them a bit of a easy target but I’m always willing to play around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users