=][= WINDS OF CHANGE =][=

New Forums and a New You for the New Year!

First, the "New You" (since this affects everyone).

Display Name Changes

Through the end of January, 2020, each member may change their display name once. The display name is the name that is shown to other members on the site and is the name by which you are known. Display Names must be unique (the system will notify you if you attempt to change to a Display Name that is used by another account). Display Names must be 3-26 characters in length and may use letters, numbers, special characters, and spaces (i.e., you don't need to use underscores unless you want to). Display Names may be changed by the Administrators if they lead to confusion, if they masquerade as GW employees, or if they are offensive. When you pick your Display Name, pick it as if it will be permanent.

A couple of things to consider:

• Any string of characters longer than 20 characters in length will throw board formatting off. The best way to prevent this is to use spaces to break the display name into blocks that won't disrupt the formatting.
  • If your display name ends in anything other than a letter, the "member" BBCode won't work. The "member" BBCode is a handy way to link to a member's profile:

@Brother Tyler

[member=Brother Tyler]
    There is no requirement for a member's Display Name to be usable by the "member" BBCode, so it's entirely up to you.
You can find out more about the BBCode used at the B&C here.

How to change your display name:

1. Go to your profile. Click on the Edit my Profile button in the top right corner.

gallery_26_6416_522567.png

2. Click the Display Name button in the left column.

gallery_26_6416_315902.png

3. Enter your chosen name and your current password.

gallery_26_6416_396969.png

4. Then click on the Save Changes button in the bottom center.

Bob's your uncle.

Note that no one is required to change their display name. This is a purely optional choice.

Now, the "New Forums" for those that care. Actually, part of this announcement affects everyone.

Heretic Astartes Forums

A forum for each Traitor Legion!

With the Psychic Awakening and the renewal of rules for each of the Traitor Legions, and with the realization that the actual quantity of discussions on each of the legions was hidden via the "community" discussions, we've decided to conduct an experiment. Just as the loyalist Adeptus Astartes have a forum for each of the Legions (not to mention one for the Deathwatch and one for the Grey Knights), the Heretic Astartes now have similar forums for their Legions. In addition, we're aligning those warbands that are dedicated to one specific Power with the similarly aligned Legion (e.g., the World Eaters forum is for both the World Eaters Legion and any other Heretic Astartes warbands that are devoted to Khorne). The main Chaos Space Marines forum remains a catch-all location for discussion of the Heretic Astartes in general, other traitors such as the Fallen and Red Corsairs, and for multi-Legion discussions (e.g., Khorne and Nurgle armies).

This is an experiment and its success and continuation will depend on the ability of the community to demonstrate that separate forums can be sustained. If we determine that separate forums aren't necessary, we'll re-consolidate them.

General/Community/Banter "Discussions"

Over the next few weeks, you should expect to see the variety of "general," "community," and "banter" discussions to be closed and dismantled. By "dismantled" I mean that the discrete discussions taking place within those topics will be split off into separate discussions. While they are in the process of being dismantled, these topics will remain pinned for easy access. Once the various general/community/banter topics are completely dismantled, anything remaining in them will be deleted. The community topics for the Chaos Space Marines have already been closed. A much more detailed explanation of why this is taking place will be coming soon, and that explanation will actually cover a broad range of subjects. By way of quick illustration, though, the following example is provided.

I recently began dismantling the Alpha Legion community topic, ++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++. The topic started in 2014 and was at 56 pages. So far I've gotten it down to 52 pages and have created 26 discrete topics. The worst part about this was that at least three of those topics started as replies that were worth discussing, but since they were immediately followed by replies about something else, people lost sight of the new issues they could be discussing. I'm pretty sure that most of the others were issues that would have engendered more replies in a longer and more fruitful discussion if they hadn't been stifled by the community topic structure. By splitting each of these discussions into their topic, each is given a chance to be discussed more fully by the members of the community.

There will be some exceptions to this policy, but I expect those to be few and far between.

The goal with the closure and dismantling of these "discussions" is to promote more fully realized discussions that better serve the needs of the community.

Every time the name change option shows up I'm tempted to switch to something pronounceable/not an acronym/related to the hobby but it entertains me far too much wondering how people interpret NTaW so here we go for another trip around the sun! :teehee:

I look forward to trying to figure out who's who by their display pics after the name changes; bonus marks for those who go full on with a name and display pic change for 2020 for a(n almost) complete incognito experience :ph34r.:

I'm quite grateful that the ancient account that was squatting on Joe (that I complained about last year) was finally removed, so I can reclaim my rightful title and actually have it align with my Discord handle. Thank you. <3

Changes to the Chaos section sound interesting.

I like it when this option comes up as people sometimes make a name spur of the moment or they develop and out grow it as they get older.

Too true... My original dsplay name was the name of my chapter master for my homebrew Space Marine chapter... And didn't line up with anything I used elsewhere.

It's just a shame it's only the display name that can be changed. I'd love to change the actual login name as well!

I'm quite grateful that the ancient account that was squatting on Joe (that I complained about last year) was finally removed, so I can reclaim my rightful title and actually have it align with my Discord handle. Thank you. <3

Same. Finally I can display my proper nickname. :D

Don't forget it might be a good idea to have a "Formerly known as" note in your sig, otherwise those with a more complete change might find people don't realise who they are :tongue.:

Good idea. I'm also very grateful to finally be able to create a display name that completely and accurately describes my "attitude" when it comes to sticking to one faction or model in this ever expanding hobby...(see signature for explanation)

Edited by Brother Desultor