Ratio of possessed to greater possessed

I'm working out how many possessed and greater possessed I should be including in my Word Bearers army lists and I love some feedback. How do you guys run the ratios for those guys? 1 Greater possessed definitely is a nice aura bubble for possessed, but the greater possessed stateline is awesome and I don't see an issue with having multiples in a list. Does the greater possessed locus of power ability stack among multiple units of greater possessed, i.e. would 2 units of possessed add +2 strength to a unit of <legion> <daemons>?

Personally I don’t think GP add that much. +1S doesn’t really do that much a lot of the time as you’re already wounding T4 on 3+ and CSM have lots of ways to get +1 wound which is always better. When running Possessed you’re always bringing a herald of some god and they give +1S too (which does stack btw). You’re usually better off putting points into units like Dark Apostles or Master of Possession as they add real multipliers like +1 to hit, +1 to wound, -1 hit, or more attacks. I’d take those previous buffs over +1S any day. That said, you’re going WBs and probably want some GP for fluff, modelling (great minis) and fun, and they’re decent in combat so I’d say take 1-2 max, for 60 points they’re kinda like mini Daemon Princes so not a bad pick, just don’t bring loads or take them over DA/MoPs.

Easy: 9:1. You dont get more into those Rhinos.

On a serious side: The step from S5 to S6 is lackluster. It would help with T10 models, but  those are kinda rare. It helps with T5 models and there are some (DG), but not enough that you really need them all the time. From S5 to S 7 (Herald + GPo) on the other hand makes Possessed able to crack lighter tanks, especially with the WB stratagem for damage 2, a Nurgle Herald for +1 Damage on a 6 or the Nurgle spell that doubles damage on a 7+ (with +1 to wound).

Where GPo are really good is as a sheperd for Venomcrawlers. They push their guns from S8 (full HP) to S9, helpfull for these big boys. They are also helping in keeping chaff away from the Crawlers.

More than 2, maybe 4 for bigger armies seemse excessive to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound obvious but something that hasn’t been mentioned is the GP is a bit of a beast himself. He can help fill out a Brigade and on his own he’s no joke. Unfortunately the way GW have designed new sculpts, a great deal of them come in the form of buffing characters so this forces some very difficult decisions for CSM.

This is why as a result we see a ton of competitive lists that are largely comprised of chaff ( to fill Battalions, and screens) then you put the real money into your damage dealers and buffers.

I think in the right list, the GP is well suited to a 9 or 10 to 1 ratio. 20 Possessed on foot with 2 GPS and DR Detachment is solid. But again it’s going to be circumstantial. I’ve tried this for months with my Black Legion. It’s just not ear as effective as running the very same premise with post PA Word Bearers or Alpha Legion.

So short story made long.... it’s not an easy answer. But I do know while a screen exists, if a GP gets into CC, some good things can happen.

This may sound obvious but something that hasn’t been mentioned is the GP is a bit of a beast himself. He can help fill out a Brigade and on his own he’s no joke. Unfortunately the way GW have designed new sculpts, a great deal of them come in the form of buffing characters so this forces some very difficult decisions for CSM.

This is why as a result we see a ton of competitive lists that are largely comprised of chaff ( to fill Battalions, and screens) then you put the real money into your damage dealers and buffers.

I think in the right list, the GP is well suited to a 9 or 10 to 1 ratio. 20 Possessed on foot with 2 GPS and DR Detachment is solid. But again it’s going to be circumstantial. I’ve tried this for months with my Black Legion. It’s just not ear as effective as running the very same premise with post PA Word Bearers or Alpha Legion.

So short story made long.... it’s not an easy answer. But I do know while a screen exists, if a GP gets into CC, some good things can happen.

I appreciate the response Prot. The portion I highlighted is essentially what I was getting at. They are beasts on their own which is why I think it may be worth looking at GP as more than just force modifiers. I generally agree with the 1:9 or 10 but is it possible having more in a list is worth taking a look at? 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

Well I actually own 3. I've tried using them but they start to strip points off of your support HQ. Then you can't hide them properly, and since they don't shoot you really start to have that feeling of 'too many eggs in one basket'. That's just my personal experience.