Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Admech or Genestealer Cult as a second army?

genestealer cult imperium imperial guard admech astra militarum warhammer 40k adeptus mechnaicus

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Neotericity

Neotericity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts

Hello I'm at a place with my Imperial Guard that I feel comfortable just adding the occasional unit to and committing to a second army with the Guard.

Admech and Genestealer both have fantastic ranges and great bits to kitbash into my guardsmen as well! I like the character models for both ranges as well and the fluff.

Admech

Pros:
Great metallics
Unique looking and powerful vehicles to have fun modelling and painting
Repair spam.
Cawl
Excuse to eventually get a knight
Bits for weapons not found in guard boxes
Great looking new flyer
Could make cool kitbashed Mechanicus trained veteran squads

Cons:
One strong tone across all robes
Lots of spindly bits to snap off
Might be too similar to IG gunline?
Silly looking new transport model

Genestealer Cults

Pros:
Another horde army
Lots of kitbash and weapon swap opportunities can finally create penal guard conscripts or vets with shotguns
More opportunity to use models I already own
Fun new psychic powers
Motorcycles and demo charges
Different types of xenos, clothes etc.. variety of painting

Cons:
Another horde army
Lots of new rules
Current imperial guard army might not aesthetically fit with xenos
Smaller vehicles

Shinros

Shinros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 185 posts
  • Faction: Genestealer cults & Slaanesh

My answer has nothing to do with my avatar. whistling.gif  Genestealer Cults.

It's one of the best kitbashing armies, in my opinion they mix well with guard if you use the heads/upgrade kits. Plus painting them is quite fun considering the colours they use. 

• Neotericity likes this

Emicus

Emicus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,552 posts
Cults. Their deployment mechanics alone! Variety of characters! You can rope in both guard and nids for even more variety!

Admech are visually nice but play wise they are just another army. Troops in transports Yada Yada, Boeing hqs, no special rules to speak of and no canticles don't count they are just sad.
  • andes and Neotericity like this

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,417 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard
Genestealer Cults would allow you to utilise your existing Guard collection either as allies or directly as codex units, meaning that even if you plan to go 'pure' GSC at some point, until you get there, you can utilise your existing Guard collection. Plus you have something to fight all those loyalist Marine armies with that's a bit more fluffy than an Imperial vs Imperial battle.
  • Neotericity likes this

The Ergonomic Enginseer

The Ergonomic Enginseer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 57 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands

Why not both. msn-wink.gif

Cult of the Bladed Cog looks nice.

• Magos Takatus and Neotericity like this

"A grip of iron never tires

Head of ire, lead and wires"

The Stupendium - Lyrics to "The house always wins"

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 246 posts
  • Faction: Evil Suns, T'au Sept

Another 'pro' for the Genestealer Cult are their deployment shenanigans. Deployment shenanigans are widely acknowledged as the best kind of shenanigans. 

• Emicus, Halandaar, The Ergonomic Enginseer and 1 other like this

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,364 posts
  • Faction: All of them?

The four armed emperor calls to you...

• Neotericity likes this

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,014 posts

From what I've heard from a gameplay point of view Genestealer Cults absolutely annihilate Adeptus Mechanicus in the meta currently. I'm collecting Admech myself, but that's more for the art, the background and the lore compared to any gameplay concerns.

It pains me to say so but you're probably more likely to enjoy Genstealer Cults than the Admech. The Ergonomic Enginseer has a good point though. Perhaps you could run a kill team of whichever one you don't pick for your army and use the spare parts to decorate your army as a Cult of the Bladed Cog army.

• Neotericity likes this

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Plog: http://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Plog: http://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Neotericity

Neotericity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts

My god man are you trying to kill my wallet :o

From what I've heard from a gameplay point of view Genestealer Cults absolutely annihilate Adeptus Mechanicus in the meta currently. I'm collecting Admech myself, but that's more for the art, the background and the lore compared to any gameplay concerns.

It pains me to say so but you're probably more likely to enjoy Genstealer Cults than the Admech. The Ergonomic Enginseer has a good point though. Perhaps you could run a kill team of whichever one you don't pick for your army and use the spare parts to decorate your army as a Cult of the Bladed Cog army.

That's really too bad but I really don't mind sticking with a faction during a down time even if they aren't completely in the current meta. I think your point with the kill team is great though. It's just maintaining the goal of keeping whichever force I don't pick as a kill team haha.

But I appreciate everyone's responses. I think I'm still up in the air though, GSC were what I was going to get originally but I started looking at the admech range more and more recently. Hmm.. I think I'll just grab a box of neophytes and skitarii and see from there. Gets me thinking what a super-heavy for GSC would even look like?

• Magos Takatus and The Ergonomic Enginseer like this

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,014 posts

My god man are you trying to kill my wallet ohmy.png

That's really too bad but I really don't mind sticking with a faction during a down time even if they aren't completely in the current meta. I think your point with the kill team is great though. It's just maintaining the goal of keeping whichever force I don't pick as a kill team haha.

But I appreciate everyone's responses. I think I'm still up in the air though, GSC were what I was going to get originally but I started looking at the admech range more and more recently. Hmm.. I think I'll just grab a box of neophytes and skitarii and see from there. Gets me thinking what a super-heavy for GSC would even look like?

The first thing I thought of as a GSC superheavy was this: 900x0_MNSW-RB-DEMAG.jpg

However after searching I think a more 40k version would look like this fella: nautilus-machine.jpg

I think after a few heavy bolter point defences this would look pretty appropriate. I guess it would be like an oversized battlewagon in function? If you decided to kitbash anything based on the first one it could probably be made from a large toy crane and the Forge World Ordinatus Minoris platforms. At this point I'm trying to kill your wallet too though! :P

Edited by Magos Takatus, 02 January 2020 - 12:12 PM.

• Lord Marshal likes this

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Plog: http://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Plog: http://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,938 posts
I had a similar dilemma when I picked up the original Kill Team starter box. Can you guess what I went for?

Spoiler

Edited by Karhedron, 02 January 2020 - 01:45 PM.

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 214 posts

Cult of the Bladed Cog looks nice.

Agreed. Embrace the power of 'and'.

Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Everything else is just noise.

...Unless you're just in this for the modeling. In which case, show your work. Yours likely looks better than mine, anyway.

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,364 posts

The first thing I thought of as a GSC superheavy was this: 900x0_MNSW-RB-DEMAG.jpg

However after searching I think a more 40k version would look like this fella: nautilus-machine.jpg

I think after a few heavy bolter point defences this would look pretty appropriate. I guess it would be like an oversized battlewagon in function? If you decided to kitbash anything based on the first one it could probably be made from a large toy crane and the Forge World Ordinatus Minoris platforms. At this point I'm trying to kill your wallet too though! tongue.png

I started working on this during the summer, I have plans for a Baneblade chassis next.  

9351024D 6236 44AA A58E 0FDB7B3551EE
785984F8 ABA0 431C A9B9 9DBA06F4A18D
F827F48F ADDB 4236 8378 73CDA0446020
2C5D1D0A B77B 4534 9A36 B237D8545C02

• Magos Takatus, Lord_Caerolion, Halandaar and 1 other like this

mughi3

mughi3

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,404 posts
  • Faction: panzer brigade
admech all the time every time it took us 6 editions to finally get them in the game outside BFG the 40K army has a lot to offer and 30K is even more fun.

If I wasn't already locked into my marines for 40K/30K (and the 8 other games I play) I would gladly start them up. I have even play tested a 30K game with them. it was quite fun using the castellax robots for troops, the explorator has lots of neat toys, including a combat claw to properly fight in close combat.
devil.gif
"life is not measured in years, but by the deeds of men"

"Heresy begets retribution."
"Retribution begets reloading."

M.ilitary U.tility G.enetic H.igher I.ntelligence.

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,364 posts

If those little 30k robots on the 40mm bases (Thrallex or something?) were plastic I'd recommend those but the four-armed Emperor still calls. Come a little closer...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genestealer cult, imperium, imperial guard, admech, astra militarum, warhammer 40k, adeptus mechnaicus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users