2020 Hobby Resolutions

Jarl Caldersson

Simply put I feel we should all make hobby resolutions whether it be clearing that back log, starting an army, reading x-amount of books, finish all your vows for ETL, maybe even reducing how much you do in the hobby and spending more time on other things.

Make sure to make your resolutions and goals should be SMART. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. However as a hobby it should be most importantly do one thing, be FUN! Just post your resolutions by 31 Jan 2020.

This was written on a whim, if we get enough interest I may do a follow up with some honors.

For me

1: Buy Mortarion, I love his model but everytime I think about buying him I decide to get ahead on payments instead. This year is the year.

2: Paint DG army, at least the 21 Plague Marines. At most 21 PM, 7 Blight Lord's, Plagueburst Crawler and Lord of Contagion.

3: Paint 5x CSM.

Long reach goal: finish Sanctum Imperialism kit for daughter St Celestine diorama.

Mine are simple but manageable, most can probably knock this out in a month, but I always seem to have less time than I want.

My goals for this year are to paint three Blood Bowl teams for my friends who used to play Blood Bowl with me back in the mists of time or have since played against me on Blood Bowl 2 for the PC. The first one I started work on last year was the Undead team, the second is for a Skaven team for the friend that picked up the pc game and started playing with me and the third is probably going to be either a Chaos or Orc team.

Once those are finished I will go back to 40k and keep hammering away at my hobby backlog.

The arrival of more Adeptus Mechanicus models will of course necessitate an addition to my hobby backlog. That's non-negotiable. :p

I will also maintain my presence on Bolter and Chainsword and Instagram and upload relevant photographs to showcase my work.

I think this year is going to be pretty fun. Painting my Blood Bowl team with a scenic base was a blast and I will be looking forward to painting more stuff I've never painted before. 

The biggest hurdle for me is going to be banging my head against the brick wall that is improving my photography skills. I just can't seem to get crisp detail in my hobby close-ups without weird artificial noise/blurring on my models. I think that's going to be the toughest thing for me to fix this year.

1- Start my own WIP and/or showcase thread(s) here. I've been creeping around the B&C for years, I think it's about time. Maintaining a thread will also, hopefully, motivate my hobby productivity.

2- Get better at basing. So far my bases have been an afterthought, I'm gonna try and fix that.

3- Use greenstuff and/or similar materials for more than just filling gaps and the occasional small detail. Nurgle is very lenient when it comes to sculpting, anything will look right with a gross paintjob. But when Slaanesh comes in full force to 40k, my subpar-to-nonexistent sculpting skills won't be enough.

4- Learn how to freehand properly. I've got Knights in my future, and I want to cover them in heraldry and markings, but without looking like a drunk toddler's crayola rampage.

5- And finally, although this is not so much a resolution but something I'm excited about, learn how to use an airbrush! I got one as a Christmas present, so now that I've got that in my arsenal, I'm eager to start using it.

For me?

1. Fully paint one of my armies (my Night Lords are the furthest along in this. Iron Warriors will likely be the easiest/quickest to do. Dark Angels are not going to be finished at all anytime soon :lol:)
  2. Play more games.
  3. Get some terrain built and painted.
  4. Get more storage boxes
  5. Get at least one Superheavy Marine vehicle (currently looking at Fellblade or Falchion)

1) Finish my Raven Guard army. At least to the point where any additions are things I want rather than feel that I need.

2) Win a tournament game. My tournament record is a pathetic 0-6. I'll be happy if I can improve that to 1-8 at an RTT.

3) Paint Corax to the absolute best of my ability. I generally settle for somewhat above battle ready. I want my Primarch to a level that I'd be proud to enter him in painting competitions.

4) Get at least a functional 2000 point Murderclowns/Craftworld list together.

Hmmmm...hobby goals...for 2020.

- Paint at least 1500 points of Alaitoc ready for March meetup at Warhammer World. This is a nine week project to really help boost me into 40K for 2020. Prot has been really inspiring with his work at tail end of last year and its kept the embers burning in my Eldar hobby!

- Paint some Deathwatch for Killteam. Lets face it, the game Killteam is literally named after these guys so its got to be done! Plus I'm going to hopefully GM'ing a brand new campaign for Deathwatch and I've been bitten by the bug!

- Do 500 points for Age of Darkness Ultramarines. The slow burning project!

- 500 points of M35 Blood Angels. Slow burn project also.

- And....Custodes for Age of Darkness! I'm revealing this now but I'm going to be making a force based around the Custodes who valiantly beamed aboard the Vengeful Sprit alongside The Emperor. This will be a 30/40k crossover force.

- Theres also some non 30/40k mixed in between all of this too.

BCC

1. Successfully complete any vow I make in an event here on the B&C: no more failing vows!

Paint and base a 100-point team for Kill Team which has a strong theme that is reflected both in its backstory and its physical representation;

Paint and base an Adeptus Titanicus-scale Titan;

Paint and base an Adeptus Titanicus-scale Imperial Knight;

Paint and base at least 500 points of models for Warhammer 40'000, with a name in the appropriate language and at least 100 words of backstory for each unit;

Finish the year with a dent made in my unpainted model pile (paint at least 30 models that I already own and paint at least 1/3 of the total of any new models I buy this year);

Keep my total hobby expenditures under 1000 CHF this year.

Edited by Dosjetka
Swapped "500 points of T'au" to "500 points of models for 40k".

1. Learn new techniques and painting styles to better myself at painting.

2. Finish painting all the DW models I have on the docket.

3. Start working on my SW army (Building/painting)

4. Finish my Inquisition detachment.

5. Participate in some of the challenges in the WIP section.

6. Keep a steady pace of painting and modeling, and trying to not get sidetracked by other things.

1. Finish painting, adding markings and basing my Ultramarine Fifth company.   Now at 70%

2. Finish painting, basing and doing decals for my my UM Fourth company.   Now at 35%

3. Decide if I will do UM Third or Second company as I have more than enough figures started to do another company.

4. Finish my SM Armored company.    

5. Sell off younger sons Tau Army ( he is 28 and no longer plays).    

3. Stop buying new kits! 

I no longer play but like to build and some times paint.

:yes: :teehee: :biggrin.: :Troops: