Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arbitration and Campaign Tips

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,766 posts

Hey All!

Finally getting my group of old school Necromunda friends into a proper Underhive campaign! I'm assuming I'll be shouldering the mantle of arbitrator and was curious what sort of traps I'm going to fall into in this new system.

We'll likely be doing a dominion campaign with a slower pace to allow for our old dude schedules but we for sure want the old school crunch. I'm expecting 5-6 gangs including myself.

Any tips or wisdom for an old school newb? What has worked? What didn't?

• QuarterPounder likes this

noigrim

noigrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,981 posts
  • Faction: Marines , Custodes, Guard, IK

I'd recommend planning on how many games you can play so you don't end with a player not being able to keep up with the others and lagging behind on territories, also limiting the number of powerful weapons like hand flamers would be nice to balance things a bit.

In my case we could only play one game a week so I did only four campaign weeks + downtime for a total of nine games, all gangs began with four flamer/hand flamers tops

• PeteySödes likes this

Sense%2Bt%C3%ADtol%2B(2).pngUntitled-1.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_5192.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_03.gifL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_48988_15465_10777.pnggallery_48988_15151_1303.pngZg0FFzL.jpggallery_48988_16053_12222.png

Malios

Malios

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 153 posts
Never discard the simplicity of single day campaigns.

Organise a date where all of your mates can get together, set a specific time length, have set break periods throughout the day to eat lunch / have a beer with your mates and play as many games as you need / want in the alloted time.

[Edit] You can keep it casual and let your mates pick who and when they play, or you can structure it a bit more with scheduled play times and opponents. Its up to you. [/Edit]

You can treat these "single day campaigns" as independent campaigns and start fresh each time, or you can link them together into an over-arching narrative.

[Edit] Alot of people think campaigns have to sprawl over weeks and be regular occurences to be a thing. I've had alot more success with single day or weekend length campaign events then I have with weekly / drawn out campaigns. [/Edit]

Edited by Malios, 10 January 2020 - 06:59 AM.

• PeteySödes, noigrim and Dr_Ruminahui like this

The greatest contradiction of chaos is that it is a realm in constant flux, yet the gods themselves never change.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,766 posts
How many games per person do you find both satisfying and feasible?

Malios

Malios

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 153 posts

How many games per person do you find both satisfying and feasible?

There is alot of contributing factors that goes into such an answer, so you'll have to forgive me when I say "it depends."

Some of those contributing factors include player experience, ability to commit and what type of campaign you plan to run.

For a single day / weekend sized event, three games in a day would be the recommended maximum from personal experience. I regularly participate in Infinity ITS events which I relate Necromunda to more so then Kill Team: the average player after three games is tapped out and calling it a day. Necromunda -can- be played relatively quickly at its bare bones, but the more content you choose to use, the longer it starts to take.

What I have seen done in the past for more "narrative" driven weekend events is not having any set structure like a tournament. Essentially the players are given free reign to pick and choose who, what and when they play and the arbitrator(s) float between the tables to drive the narrative and tally the event's direction. If the players want to do multiplayer games, great. If they want to play a more traditional "matched play" game against an opponent who wants to do the same, great. If they only play one game in the day, but its a 3000 credit bash between gangs? great. If they want to play 10 games of the "Necromunda light" featured in the December White Dwarf, then great. Do they do something homebrew and silly like survive the plague zombie horde? Great. The arbitrators need to drive these kinds of events though, I can't stress this enough: the arbitrator makes this an event rather then a casual gaming day.

The aim of the narrative event is the rolling of the dice rather then the result.

Edited by Malios, 14 January 2020 - 12:39 PM.

• PeteySödes likes this

The greatest contradiction of chaos is that it is a realm in constant flux, yet the gods themselves never change.

noigrim

noigrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,981 posts
  • Faction: Marines , Custodes, Guard, IK
Special games are ideal to give players a break mid campaign or as a final showdown
  • PeteySödes likes this

Sense%2Bt%C3%ADtol%2B(2).pngUntitled-1.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_5192.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_03.gifL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_48988_15465_10777.pnggallery_48988_15151_1303.pngZg0FFzL.jpggallery_48988_16053_12222.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users