[Tactica] Taus

Chaplain Elijah

Yikes!

It's just insurmountable when your opponent is rolling so well and yiu so poorly. It's a dice game and you will have games like that unfortunately . What were your company vets armed with again?

Lightning Claws.

Edited by Chaplain Elijah

Ouch, friend. Tau are a really tough opponent and a pretty decent book. They're also very good at killing marines. It's also tough to try to do melee without being a melee book but there are tricks you can use to push your advantage. Namely, remembering that they can only use FTGG once and that it's a mistake to declare all eligible targets right off the bat. Also just a reminder that dreads move 6'' and have d3 explosions unless they're some primaris shenanigans!

The Tau player wants to bring them again this week end, i think i'll pass even for a 2vs2 :dry.:

Do you have any other models in your range?

Maybe the forum here can help you make up a list better suited for the kind of battle you'd be taking on.

The Tau player wants to bring them again this week end, i think i'll pass even for a 2vs2 :dry.:

Do you have any other models in your range?

Maybe the forum here can help you make up a list better suited for the kind of battle you'd be taking on.

Why not but to be honest i think i just don't have the right miniatures yet :)

Chaplain Dreadnought

Chaplain (Dark Vengeance)

Librarian (Dark Vengeance)

Lieutenant with Heavenfall Blade (Dark Vengeance)

Lieutenant with Chainsword & Bolt Pistol (Dark Vengeance)

Terminator Captain (Start Collecting)

Loads of Marines/Vets

A dozen of Devastators

5 Terminators (Dark Vengeance)

3 Bikers (Dark Vengeance)

3 Aggressors

2 Dreads

1 Drop Pod

Not being wysiwig is not an issue in my club and the format is 1000pts.

That's actually pretty good!

So, how about

1) The TDA Company Master, along with the Terminators for Deathwing Assault. Something with which to break the gunline of firewarriors.

2) A dread with some marines, the aggressors and a lieutenant. With Wisdom of the Ancients, you can make a tight moving mid-range gunline, that can put the preassure on him.

3) Devastators with the last lieutenant. Grim resolve will grant you rerrolls, and the lieutenant will synergize well. Use them to fire upon the riptides.

Elijah you will learn so much from a loss, it teaches you what works.

I think the key challenge is you will need to hold your nerve for a turn or two, concentrate on knocking out anything with a marker light or firewarriors.

Those aggressors can delete firewarriors and with 3 wounds a pop T5 will make the Tau have to do something about them... Also if they get close to a battlesuit, powerfists!

Berzuls suggestions will help here, the Deathwing can clear anything turn 2 and if you can keep them out of he line of sight for a turn or two (remember the Tau won't move unless they have to).

It maybe worth looking at your vets as kill teams, dropped them in with as much plasma as you dare (WOTDA) probably with reroll bubbles if you can...

5 marines with 5 plasma guns/cannons at short range... And they can't be shot before they drop pod in...

Thanks for the advices guys, i'll look into it tomorrow, i'm pretty tired atm.

I was planning to play my plasma bomb at some point which consist of :

Azrael

Lieutenant with Combi Plasma

8 Vets with Combi Plasma

Drop Pod

Deep striking at 9'' to be in Rapid Firing position so that means 20 bolter shoots + 20 plasma shoots, -1 to hit but full reroll to hit and reroll 1's to wound.

If i also deep strike 5 SB Termis that's 40 additionnal bolter shoots (Deathwing Assault) with the support of Azrael/Lieutenant.

Problem is that's 6 deep striking units for 659pts so i must field 6 another units on the table (Tactical Reserve rule). Surely possible in a 1200pts game.

That is a mighty plasma bomb. But, be careful not to put too much on one part of the army. If it fails, you are in big trouble.

Whats your support for the plasma bomb?

That is a mighty plasma bomb. But, be careful not to put too much on one part of the army. If it fails, you are in big trouble.

Whats your support for the plasma bomb?

My next pick would be the Boltstorm Aggressors.

Deployment out of LoS, T1 they advance still hidden by a building, T2 they advance into shooting position, i deep strike around them to benefit from Azrael/Lieutenant rerolls/invulnerable and they shoot without the Advance penalty, T3 they shoot twice.

It's turning into a deep striking castle :)

So far the list is about hiding T1 and going all out T2 with a lot of saturation and some Plasma shooting.

T2 i should get ride of Fire Warriors / Drones so the next step is to eliminate the Riptide in the same turn : i'm thinking double Dreads Mortis with x4 Lascannons.

Along them i want to try out the Castellan Whirlwinds played at 6'' of the Dreads (for Wisdom of the Ancient). I doesn't have the models but i'll ask someone for them.

1202pts

Azrael with Sword of Secrets & Lion's Wrath, Warlord & Brilliant Strategist = 150pts

Lieutenant with Chainsword & Combi Plasma = 71pts

4 Company Veterans with Chainsword & Combi Plasma = 100pts

3 Aggressors with Boltstorm Gauntlets & Fragstorm Grenade Launchers = 111pts

5 Deathwing Terminators with Storm Bolter & Power Fist = 165pts

Mortis Dread with x2 Twin Lascannon = 140pts

Mortis Dread with x2 Twin Lascannon = 140pts

Whirlwind with Castellan Launcher = 80pts

Whirlwind with Castellan Launcher = 80pts

Drop Pod with Storm Bolter = 65pts

You have a bit of a dilemma there as to where to put Azrael.  I assume from the 4 vets in each squad you're going with the drop pod? Would be interesting if you could also test out having him with the dreads for mutual protection and obvious re-rolls (also very useful on the Agressors). Try and resist the urge to drop the DW down on turn 2 unless there's a decent target and/or the vets fluffed it, nothing wrong with waiting until turn 3.

Are you playing eternal war or maelstrom missions?

You have a bit of a dilemma there as to where to put Azrael.  I assume from the 4 vets in each squad you're going with the drop pod? Would be interesting if you could also test out having him with the dreads for mutual protection and obvious re-rolls (also very useful on the Agressors). Try and resist the urge to drop the DW down on turn 2 unless there's a decent target and/or the vets fluffed it, nothing wrong with waiting until turn 3.

Are you playing eternal war or maelstrom missions?

Yes the idea is to have Azrael + Lieutenant + 8 Vets in the Drop Pod, deep striking T2 along the Terminators near the Aggressors.

Everyone benefits from the full reroll to hit, 1's to wound and 4++ invulnerable.

I'm usually playing Maelstrom against this player.

One obvious way of playing is to concentrate more on the objectives.  This is easier to do (relatively) when playing ITC (tournament) missions but still has its merits in Maelstrom.  I'd also advise playing the schemes of war style missions where you select your own deck, that way you can tailor it to your strengths.

I know I mentioned potentially being patient until turn 3 with the DW but, don't overlook turn 1 deep strike with the drop pod if an opportunity presents itself. What is your opponent likely to bring?

One obvious way of playing is to concentrate more on the objectives. This is easier to do (relatively) when playing ITC (tournament) missions but still has its merits in Maelstrom. I'd also advise playing the schemes of war style missions where you select your own deck, that way you can tailor it to your strengths.

I know I mentioned potentially being patient until turn 3 with the DW but, don't overlook turn 1 deep strike with the drop pod if an opportunity presents itself. What is your opponent likely to bring?

He's going to bring this :

gallery_184510_16033_40334.jpg

+ a Crisis suit

He use Bor'kan (?) so Fire Warriors have a 42'' range so Rapid Fire 3 at 21''.

According to recent develloppment we should play a 2vs2 so probably 4*1000pts so my list is too expensive.

If you had any RW you'd definitely have a speed advantage there. Make sure you get the objectives nice and spaced out, with one you can potentially claim with your deep striking contingent, as well as at least 1 for each of you in deployment.

Yeah so confirmation it's going to be a 2vs2 with :

- Dark Angels

- Taus

- Imperial Guard

- Thousand Sons or Mechanicus

I'll probably team up with the Guard player.

Yeah, shame the thousand sons are heretics... There psyker could smite the suits and drones...

I've reworked the list :smile.:

994pts

Azrael with Sword of Secrets & Lion's Wrath, Warlord & Brilliant Strategist = 150pts

Lieutenant with Chainsword Heavenfall Blade & Combi Plasma = 71pts

1 Drop Pod with Storm Bolter = 65pts

5 Deathwing Terminators with Storm Bolter & Power Fist = 165pts

3 Aggressors with Boltstorm Gauntlets & Fragstorm Grenade Launchers = 111pts

1 Ravenwing Apothecary with Bolt Pistol on Bike with Plasma Talon, Warlord & Master of Maneuver = 60pts

1 Contemptor with 4 Lascannons = 168pts

4 CPs

Now about the plan...

Deployment :

Terminators in Deep Strike & Azrael/Lieutenant/Vets inside the Drop Pod.

The Contemptor, Aggressors & Apothecary stay out of LoS.

T1 :

I reroll Advance with the Aggressors (Master of Maneuver), the Apothecary follow them.

Contemptor move into a better position if necessary.

Everything stay out of LoS.

T2 :

I reroll Advance with the Aggressors (Master of Maneuver), the Apothecary follow them.

The Aggressors should be at 18'' or less of the ennemies.

Contemptor get inside 48'' of the Riptide.

Deep strike the Drop Pod and the Greenwing near the Aggressors. Same with the Terminators. Everything must be covered by Azrael/Lieutenant bubbles.

I use Deathwing Assault on the Terminators.

Shooting between 83 / 98 bolters + 22 plasma shoots to get ride of anything close (especially Drones and Fire Warriors). Full reroll to hit + reroll 1's to wound.

Shooting the 4 Lascannons on the Riptide with Wisdom of the Ancients to reroll 1's to hit.

T3 :

I will take heavy punishment after doing T2 but with our armor saves and the 4++ from Azrael i should have enough models left.

I heal/revive one Aggressor with the Apothecary. Now they shoot twice which compensate for the Terminators not being able to use Deathwing Assault again.

Greenwing doesn't move so they get Bolter Discipline at 24''. Seems unlikely i get some targets left at 12'' so that's 10 less plasma shooting for me.

Contemptor doesn't move so hitting on 2+ reroll the 1's and try to finish the Riptide off.

Sounds good ?