DG by contrast.

eternal_warrior12

Ok... so.... being a loyalist marine player for 25 years.... and especially since primaris and 8th ed..... I picked up Lord Felthius and his corhort and a myphitic Blight hauler (because they are honestly my favorite) so boring story long

I HAVE PLEDGED MYSELF TO GRANDDADDY NURGLE

That being said I love the new contrast paints and was wondering if anyone had any cool recipes for painting my Warptainted Brethren? Thank you all in advance.

Mine are grey seer with a corax white spray from above then a load of skeleton horde for the tan armour, going to try out warp lightning or black templar for the shoulders. Once I get one finished I'll put a picture up I find contrast works really well on Death Guard as there aren't many flat empty spaces on their armour.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are grey seer with a corax white spray from above then a load of skeleton horde for the tan armour, going to try out warp lightning or black templar for the shoulders. Once I get one finished I'll put a picture up I find contrast works really well on Death Guard as there aren't many flat empty spaces on their armour.

I cannot wait to see this color scheme!

The fun with contrast paints is experimentation. My Death Guard are a cannibalistic warband, the Vectorium of Sanguine Fecundity, so I've painted their main armour in with a base of Blood Angels Red, then Plaguebearer Flesh and Aethermatic Blue over the top of that. The end result is a really unhealthy-looking red armour, like diseased blood. Both the secondary colours are quite thin on their own, so mostly show when pooling in the crevasses and around details, but combine to have the Plaguebearer Flesh give a greasy look, and the Aethermatic Blue makes it look diseased.

I'm thinking of doing rusty iron, but am legitimately torn on what colour to do the robes. Maybe yellow-ish?

I'll try to get some photos soon.

The way the contrast paints is really interesting. The Plaguebearer Flesh in particular, it's not particularly noticeable on the finished product, but it gives it a bit of a sheen, for want of a better word. You can definitely notice it compared to one that's just Blood Angel + Aethermatic, it makes it a bit more oily, I think. Definitely a touch more organic.

EDIT: Also, I'm taking votes on what the colour of the robes should be. I'm still really undecided.

Edited by Lord_Caerolion

The way the contrast paints is really interesting. The Plaguebearer Flesh in particular, it's not particularly noticeable on the finished product, but it gives it a bit of a sheen, for want of a better word. You can definitely notice it compared to one that's just Blood Angel + Aethermatic, it makes it a bit more oily, I think. Definitely a touch more organic.

EDIT: Also, I'm taking votes on what the colour of the robes should be. I'm still really undecided.

I did my death guard armor base of death guard green with heavy coelia green shade and elysian green for the cloth/robes.

So essitenly a dull slightly dark forest green for the armor with a lighter almost neon yellow green for the robes. They look good together, from afar looks nice and blended but up close the robe stands out.

So with the blood red you have with the almost orange and brown hues, I would say go for a brighter orange color with maybe a darker wash like agrax earthshade or nuln oil to tone it down a bit and keep it matching and dirty looking.

That's my vote! Haha

That red Plague Marine looks great I still haven't progressed my test mini but I'll get a pic tonight (I promise!) moving more towards black shoulders and green cloth for now but my Plaguecaster needs a purple hood to go with his skullface. Then I don't know if I want dirty brass or rusty iron for the armour trim depends on the colour I choose for the pads I guess.

WIP crappy picture:

gallery_26119_15983_19194.jpg

Edited by Reyner

I was a bit daunted by all the detail on the Death Guard models when they were released so put off painting them. When contrast paints came out I saw that as a way to 'easily' get them done.

I like the Cover art for the codex and wanted a green like that. So I did a little mixing of the colours to see if I could replicate it. The guy on the left is covered in different mixes of contrast. The guy on the right is the one I picked.

aa765b94-1451-4043-bc9f-a2b6ba91a62c.jpe

The recipe is:

2:2:1:1 Terradon Turquoise, Plaguebearer flesh, Basilicanum Grey, Militarum Green

It's a bit like the cover art and a bit vintage, I remember a Nurgle WFB champion in this colour from way back.

Here he is painted up.

c6740dde-0a9a-4814-a6cd-3c0810801e8a.jpe

As I've been painting the army I've had a tendancy to paint it on a bit thinner and you get a lighter effect. Possibly more like the artwork in the codex. Heres a lighter coloured Tallyman.

img_20191021_213053.jpg

Here is the artwork in the codex...

250px-tallyman-1.jpg

Possibly a bit late to help the OP but hopefully some use to someone.

• 3 weeks later...

@ eternal_warrior12

Thank you very much. I was pleased to get a result I was happy with using contrast.

@ Wolf Lord Loki

The main effect could be achieved with Nurgle's rot and PVA but here's the whole process.

It's 'Nurgle's Rot' mixed with 'Liquitex gloss super heavy gel' (I happen to have a load of this from doing snow on my wolves). Then there is some 'Vallejo florescent Yellow' added in places or mixed through.

img_2658.jpg

img_3002-1.jpg

I've added a few bubbles in with silicon balls and tiny balls used in nail decoration.

@ Trollbeard

Thank you, I love remaking the art as mini's. I've found contrast so useful on these, this army just wouldn't be the same without contrast. They are quite bright but I think I've embraced that. I've got some older more grimdark Deathguard so this is quite a change in style for me.

• 1 month later...