Hand drill bits question

I've gotten the hand drill from GW twice, 2nd time I just wanted more drill bits. Then I thought to myself buying drill bits from another source would probably be cheaper/smarter lol. So my question is what brand do you guys use for them? I'm really looking for the smaller bits as the pins I have are pretty small. For some reason the bits from GW tend to go dull pretty quickly when you're using them on metal models quite often. Was just seeing if maybe you guys know of any better ones from other companies that work better. Was thinking of using Amazon.com but am open to buying from direct companies or sites.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I made this post I saw one on amazon for 12.99$ so I just snagged it til I found a better one, but it's been working decently. Has alot of sizes with it and been drilling pretty good on the bitz. Comes with 10 bits 2 of each probably won't even use the bigger ones but it's nice to have. Here's the link to them I can't really see the brand name.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FJ6VD2P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For some reason the bits from GW tend to go dull pretty quickly when you're using them on metal models quite often.

There are two ways of making high speed steel (HSS) drill bits - rolling and ground. Rolled bits are basically shaped between rollers when hot and twisted to make a drill bit. It's fast and cheap, which is why the bits are cheaper, but the cutting edge dulls quicker, particularly on harder surfaces.

Ground bits are when they literally grind away the parts of the bit to turn it into a drill shape. This gives a harder edge, which lasts longer (and is suitable for harder materials)

You can also get drill bits made out of tungsten carbide instead of HSS which are even more hard wearing; but in my experience (using PCB bits) they are rather brittle in such thin diameters, so tend to snap with very little sideways movement such as with a hand drill.

Lastly, you can also get HSS gound bits with a titanium coating; these last longer than vanilla HSS ground bits, and usually are a very similar price.

So my go-to these days is titanium coated ground HSS drill bits, and found them the best mix of price and lifetime. I also don't buy the sets, as you tend to get a bunch of bits you never use and run out of the ones you do, though a single set you use for oddball sizes sometimes is useful.

My most heavily used bits are definitely the 0.8mm and 1mm sizes for bolter barrels and pinning respectively. I also use 3.2mm bits for 3mm wide magnets. So I have these sizes in titanium coated ground bits, and just a cheap HSS ground bit set for any other sizes.

I don’t drill into metal anymore so have you dulled them on plastic or resin? One thing I have noticed is they paperclips I use as pins will absolutely wreck nice hobby clippers so I use cheap ones from a hardware store for that duty.

I just use a multisize set from Dremel. Comes in a little, flip-open, grey case.

Came here to say exactly this. Mine has seven bits between 1/32" and 1/8". I believe that largest doesn't fit the Citadel hand drill (which I have and am very happy with), but if I need a hole that size I probably want to use an actual power tool anyway ... 

I just use a multisize set from Dremel. Comes in a little, flip-open, grey case.

Came here to say exactly this. Mine has seven bits between 1/32" and 1/8". I believe that largest doesn't fit the Citadel hand drill (which I have and am very happy with), but if I need a hole that size I probably want to use an actual power tool anyway ...

The 1/8" bit will fit. Just open up the collet, flip it over to the larger hole, insert the bit, then put the collet back over the bit.

I've done it a bunch when magnetizing Landspeeders and Attack Bijes.