Making an Army With Lots of Wolves

Doom Herald

I'm trying to get my daughter into the hobby. She is very big on dogs/wolves and said basicly she wants to play whatever she can play with them. I know you can use Fenrisian wolf packs, but otherwise am unsure exactly how many models have actual wolves on them. How many units actually make use of "live" fenrisian wolves on their models? What battlefield rolls (HQ, Elite, Fast, etc..) do they fill? I wanted to see how viable this would actually be before I get the Codex and models. It doesn't need to be competitively viable but rather, just something I would be able to build a focus on so we can have some fun games.

Fenrisian Wolves units consist of 5 wolves up to 10 wolves, Cyber Wolves unit consists of 1 plus 4 additional wolves. Wulfen (are like Werewolves) kind of count unit consists of 1 pack leader and 4 Wulfen plus can add 5 more Wulfen. Logan Grimnar on Stormrider comes with 2 wolf models he counts as a HQ. I want to say the fenrisian and cyber wolves are troop choices but I could be wrong. Last time I actually played SW was in the early 2000's so I can't help on game play choices for current edition. Trying to think if there are more actual wolf models, think this is it for the most part unless you do some converting and add them to models. Canis Wolfborn is a HQ riding a wolf too.

Edit: I like the idea of it though SW has always held a soft spot in my heart as it was the first real army I chose when I first started way back when.

Edited by Kolgrim DeathHowl

Here are all of our units that feature wolves:

HQ:

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf

Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf

Canis Wolfborn (rides a Thunderwolf)

Harald Deathwolf (rides a Thunderwolf)

Ragnar Blackmane (can take two Fenrisian Wolves for wargear)

Logan Grimnar on Stormrider (has two Thunderwolves pulling him)

Fast Attack:

Fenrisian Wolves

Cyberwolves

Thunderwolf Cavalry

Elites:

Wulfen (werewolves)

Lord of War (30k not compatible with 40k at the moment):

Leman Russ with Freki and Geri

Edited by The Saint Ragnar

I think the ultimate goal is to just get your daughter into playing the game so it really doesn't matter if the list meets super great standards, can probably run what's been said with a minor bit of non wolves to fill it out and then you should be good. Then maybe after she starts getting better at playing see if she wants to branch off or tweak the space wolves into a more meta list. I think it's a great idea to involve your children in it, I would of loved to have one of my parents introduce Warhammer 40k to me back when I was young.