Wishlisting for Guard Updates

I was sitting around after getting trounced by Iron Hands and I started thinking about things that would be great updates to the Guard codex whenever the codex 2.0 happens for the guard.

We have only 3 types of regiment keyword models that are unable to take orders. Artillery and super-heavies and fast attack vehicles. I think that giving these models the ability to receive orders would make them far more effective in the current meta, without breaking the game. Make stationary artillery take voice of command orders and all vehicles take tank orders. Just change the name from tank orders to vehicle commands.

What tweaks to the Guard codex would you guys like to see?

Edited by HallofStovokor

I'd like to see Doctrines make a return. Things like Camo Cloaks, Carapace Armour, Close-Order Firing, etc. Pre-defined regiments were a nice start, but letting people really go to town with their unique Your Dude spins based off available options would be great to see again. It seems unlikely we'll see the extent of 3.5's options given GW's horror at the gear of gear conversions they don't seel kits for, but I can naively hope.

Build-your-own-regiment rules. I mean seriously, is there any army better suited to that concept than the Guard with its thousands and thousands of different regiments?

Expanding the order system would be great too. I would especially love for tank commanders to have more of a support role, being able to give more and more varied orders. Would make them less of the elite-tank that they are almost exclusively today. Throw in a pregame 1/2/3 cp strat (depending on unit size) to make a Leman Russ squadron Veterans with +1 to hit.

Also rework the Vanquisher cannon and give the Exterminator 6 or even 8 shots.

I'm not keen on Riders myself, but I wouldn't mind some infantry-based fast attack choice...either some kind of bike-unit or maybe a special weapon/veteran squad with grappling hook equipment (ignore vertical distances). We won't get anything with jetpacks (too similar to marines and we have grav chutes instead) so this seems like the closest thing.

Also upgrade options for veterans, to make them more relevant compared to regular infantry.

Build-your-own-regiment rules. I mean seriously, is there any army better suited to that concept than the Guard with its thousands and thousands of different regiments?

With CHAOS keyword swap rules in that to cover LatD. Maybe LatD get a supplement or something later to give them extra units.

As a die hard Tempestus Scions fanboy and gamer I would accept anything they will give me be it new rules or another unit of some description.

We have been seriously lacking In unit diversity for a while

Scions should have their own army - with Inquisition keywords.

I’d kill for the nerf on Valkyries being walked back from “you can’t move after you disembark” to at least “you can’t charge after disembark, but can move” like the impulsor has. That FAQ murdered the tempestus drop force.

Besides that, some kind of buff for running mono codex and build your own regiments would be great.

Plastic Thunderbolt with a decent statline/cost.

Option to give a regiment keyword to Scions so I can have Kasrkin back.

Vanquisher cannon restatted to be actually good at what it's supposed to do, maybe?

1+ order from all order giving units if army is pure guard? (May see non commander Russes that way).

Command squads given a bodyguard rule.

Certainly more strats so I can better spend my significant pools of CP.

I split the posts positing Lost and the Damned as a codex supplement for the Astra Militarum codex. Those are now a separate discussion in the Lost and the Damned forum.

I appreciate that you saw them as worth discussing, even if off-topic here, and will move there. I put a bit of thought into that one post, and appreciate you not deleting it.

Veteran vehicle crews - +1 to hit or reroll number of shots. 10 points per vehicle or maybe 1 cp per squadron

Veteran doctrines - camo cloaks, carapace armor etc

Deploy smoke - stratagem to shoot smoke launchers on everything before turn 1 begins.

Small plane for scions- 5 man transport, lots of dakka, not zooming, cheap

It was only 2 weeks ago so I'll paste what I said in a similar thread in the general forum.

There are a few things I'd like to see for the guard.

Regimental Storm troopers: Just like scions, except have with <REGIMENT>.  Cadians can get their Kasrkin. (Elite choice/ vets moved to troops.)

Lord General: A generic creed, one per army.

I would like to build up our rather light Fast Attack section.

Rough riders overhauled, perhaps with bikes

An expansion of the Hellhound platform: give them weapons like battle cannons, punisher cannons, auto cannons, missile launchers, etc.  They won't have grinding advance, but they would be assault weapons instead of heavy.

Perhaps both controversial and outside the scope of this thread but, Platoons. I don't mean the unit tax machines they were in previous editions, but an actual command structure that could tie together all of those infantry units and even less used things like voxes, standards, and medics.  You can have the company commanders (and lord general) give orders to platoons and the platoon commander can give orders to individual units.

Although less recent, I've also explained how I'd like to see the Leman Russ platform cleaned up. I won't go into detail here, but I would completely change the stats on half of the weapons. 

I would then have a system where Tank commanders and normal tanks actually support each other like our infantry has.  First, commanders should have at least 2-3 orders base so they will be able to order something other than themselves.  Unfortunately, that alone wouldn't do it since the commanders would just be focused even harder than they are now.  There would need to be some kind bodyguard or character rule that would allow normal Russes to keep their commanders alive.

Most of what I'd like to see has been mentioned by other posters so I'll say models and rules for Canid units, preferably in the fast attack slot. Ever since that Regimental Standard article I've been in love with the idea of dogs in the Guard.

Maybe have a units of a couple of handlers with a few canids that serves as an early warning system? If things deploy or deepstrike near them they can have another nearby unit shoot at them (for example).

In the 40k setting I don't see too much point in attack dogs unless they are cyber monstrosities but guard dogs on the other hand would be super useful. 

Yep, all been said already. We really don't want much at all do we!? I think Guard players must be the most laid back and easily pleased in the hobby.

Agreed on Canids, specifically the ones wearing the adorable Cadian style helmets. I don't care what they do, I just want them in the Army. Free overwatch shooting against deepstriking units maybe?

Vanquisher bring remotely usable would be nice, 12th times the charm...

Better balance between tank commanders and regular tanks I can get on board with as well. I can't bring myself to take all commanders, who exactly are they supposed to be commanding!?

Mad that Rough Riders are gone now there is a new bike unit available really. 

Lasguns for Sergeants of course. Be happy with the exact same codex and that option!

Make your own Regiment, although that might come in our PA book? Seems pretty certain it'll happen

Finally a sprue consisting entirely of kneeling legs... There are never enough kneeling legs and it's important, ney VITAL, that all my Infantry Squads can neatly line up in 2 ranks of 5.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind an invun or preferably a FNP for our superheavies. It's the main thing keeping them off more competitive tables right now. Maybe even a one-use pre-game strat for +1 BS. 1cp for a single LR, 2cp for a squad of 2, 3cp for a squad of 3 or a superheavy. Max at 3+ BS to avoid it becoming too strong.

Just since we're on the topic of wish listing ... might as well go all out ... I would love for GW to come out with a new multipart infantry box set. The Cadian sets are more than 15 years old and are showing their age. The Catachan infantry box is even older. I've always thought it would be awesome if GW did something like the Cadians that is kind of generic, but then with add-on packs containing different head and accoutrement options (kind of like the chapter specific blisters with pauldrons and some custom bits and a couple torsos/heads) to make different regiments.

Edited by Nicodemus Doloroso

On the topic of fixing our superheavies so they don’t stack up quite so poorly against Knights I wouldn’t mind seeing some variant of the Grinding Advance rule applying to them in some manner as well.

Just since we're on the topic of wish listing ... might as well go all out ... I would love for GW to come out with a new multipart infantry box set. The Cadian sets are more than 15 years old and are showing their age. The Catachan infantry box is even older. I've always thought it would be awesome if GW did something like the Cadians that is kind of generic, but then with add-on packs containing different head and accoutrement options (kind of like the chapter specific blisters with pauldrons and some custom bits and a couple torsos/heads) to make different regiments.

That would be great if happened in the universe where GW does't sell new minies like a pusher. Here they most likely will not just make new guard kits they will make new 'super-guardsmen' units. Then they'll tell you a story of their appearance in 40000+ which would be: "In a secret place far far away on the day after Horus heresy was over bla-bla-bla. Look at this new awesome "Blablablaborings", Buy them! love them! NOW! They've got only one awesome pose possible and awesome rules!"

I'm fine with the old Guard.

Edited by Shamansky