How are GK's in the current state

Skywrath

Hello. Just wondering about the state of the Grey Knights at the current time. Well aware Psychic Awakening will affect the overall response, however looking for an answer that is more in the now. Thank you in advance :)

GK are among the worst armies for competitive play in current state of the game. It is probably the worst if we ditch options like inquisition, assassins, sisters of silence, etc. It is more easiler to say what is good about GK, than what it is bad: lots of bolter fire, good psychic bonuses (not powers!), nice mobility thanks to deep strike and verstile teleport spell, lots of mortal wounds and strong heroes. Other than that - look at anything and it will be just various degrees of bad. In one sentence, Grey Knights are bad because they are overcosted elite army with low ability to stay on the table and no options to really hurt the enemy before enemy removes them from the table. Codex: Grey Knights was written for completely different game with completely different power set up in mind. It was obsolate by first Chapter Approved book and with every Big FAQ it kept getting worse. 2 of the 3 initial matched play rules was hindering core GK strengths - reserves and psychic phase. And september FAQ2018 hit reserves even harder. It seems, GW tries not to make GK OP in narrative games, which is plain stupid because WH40k without matched play rules is absolutely broken. I hope 9ed will go AoS way and just bring all matched play restrictions to core rules.

Campaign update with new on GK will be released very soon (very likely in next two weeks) but it will hardly change anything. We are confirmed not to recieve space marine codex treatment and just get a couple of "new tricks" which means our main problems will stay the same. We will probably rise above unupdated armies for a month or two untill other Psychic awakening books are released and all other armies will get update. Until we get 2.0 codex with current matched play rules in mind, nothing changes.

Until then you can play GK for fun or for challenge. They are better in ETC especially with allies. I won't leave home without inquisitor and assassins but to compete with other armies they need more. New maelstrom also very good for GK. Priority Orders Recieved and Master the warp are basically free.

Thank you for your response, your advice is appreciated. Most appreciative of the bigger picture - that does seem like there are a lot of issues that must be rectified soon by GW. But luckily, I am a theme > top tier player. On the topic of synergy between different armies - do you see a lot of Dark Angel/Grey Knight synergy? And if so, may I request concrete examples?

Thank you for your response, your advice is appreciated. Most appreciative of the bigger picture - that does seem like there are a lot of issues that must be rectified soon by GW. But luckily, I am a theme > top tier player. On the topic of synergy between different armies - do you see a lot of Dark Angel/Grey Knight synergy? And if so, may I request concrete examples?

There is no synergy between them and when the book comes out and inevitably gives Dark Angels doctrines they will lose synergies as if you ally GK in, you will lose your doctrine.