Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Psychic Awakening 5 - The Greater Good

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
372 replies to this topic

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,279 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

Some good stuff, some jank stuff but as with anything, that is standard practice with anything really. Some real duds and I just LOVED hearing Winters comment on the extra warlord trait stratagem with one MASSIVE question in mind: What Emperor Forsaken, Greater Good Forgotten, 4-Armed Star god begotten, Chao god loving/hating/scheming/rotting, Waaaagh deranged warlord trait of the Tau codex will you actually take as your second choice? Of all factions, Tau have warlord traits so massively tone deaf to the faction that even autotune would still sound like garbage.

Seriously...the only good one is the one I can never remember the order of the words, it includes Devastation Through and Unity but I can never remember how it goes because they use some screwy format for it.

Now some notes: Prototype weaponry seems fairly here or there but very much overly restricted (feels KSons man) but somewhat equally potent. The Gatling Burst Cannons could have use for chaff clearing but sadly due to not working with the new trait feels more gimmick than worth.

The Prototype Ion Accelerator however does enable something: 3 riptides firing max shots each turn. Proto-Tide, Mod-Tide and Standard-Tide means you can have finally worthwhile Ion Accelerators which may need some looking into. Certainly HBCs still rule the roost from the outset but time will tell.

Better Missiles overall is fairly neat, Some people keep glancing over Missile Pods being a real option now with the ability to be AP3. I think it could be a legit set-up to go for a full squad of Crisis suits all with double missile and ATS (points, the ATS in a points to effect ratio is actually pretty much as good as a 3rd missile pod). Now you can ether go for deep strike all of them or break them up here and there depending on what you want to do with them.

Stormsurges getting shafted AGAIN...GW must really have it out for their kneecaps with their 7th ed crimes. (the proto-missiles for them are nice but ultimately is a fairly benign relic, +4 damage on average on a full house is nice but when you really need to take 3 stormsurges to have them feel effective...it ain't so hot).

Not bad. Not Great. Good I would say. GW keep trying to find an odd middle ground with balance at times and they really just need to decide if they want to go in or out on things proper because it feels like some armies they say "the last one felt weak, go in more" "WOOOO there, that last one was too much, tone it back" and that is their two modes. Really, would just like them to say "screw it, just make everyone broken...like Grey Knights are just terrors in the psychic phase as well as KSons, Tau Gunlines will EVAPOURATE armies in the shooting phase, Tyranids need movement bases for their armies as do orks now". Like, just go in. Stop tip-toeing and get to it. The concept is to fulfil the army fantasy...not half bake it.

• Redcomet likes this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 809 posts
Anything for specific AM regiments?

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 839 posts

Anything for specific AM regiments?

Zip, unless I missed it. There aren't any new warlord traits or relics for the non-Tempestus Guard forces. And all of the stratagems are generic for all Guard regiments.

• RedFox likes this

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,724 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate

Fellow guard players, I found this to be a good, concise review of relevant content: 

https://youtu.be/wT8gXnH9xVc

• redmapa, Iron Father Imeran Byon and NTaW like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Argonte

Argonte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19 posts
https://imgur.com/gallery/O7L0CiT
Farsight enclaves veteran crisis looks good
  • Karhedron likes this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Ah I knew it. Once more a weapon/system named "Flechette" anything is pretty much completely useless.

Also gotta mail GW how disappointed I am with Shadowsun being practically useless for any army that's not T'au Sept. I was really going to order her, had the money set aside and everything, but won't do so now after all. I guess I'll also mention all those things that require clarification via FAQ.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 492 posts

Ah I knew it. Once more a weapon/system named "Flechette" anything is pretty much completely useless.

Also gotta mail GW how disappointed I am with Shadowsun being practically useless for any army that's not T'au Sept. I was really going to order her, had the money set aside and everything, but won't do so now after all. I guess I'll also mention all those things that require clarification via FAQ.

This isn’t a complaint but I am curios as to why she is useless?

VanDutch

VanDutch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 156 posts

This isn’t a complaint but I am curios as to why she is useless?
RAW the Master of War ability (stay still, reroll failed hits or advance and ignore penalties) is still locked to the T’au Sept, not whichever sept she is in the list for. So you still miss out on the best buff she has to offer.

Edited by VanDutch, 09 February 2020 - 10:55 AM.

• Commander Dawnstar and Panzer like this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

Master of War and Saviour Protocols, yeah. 

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,041 posts
GW have shared Shadowsun's points cost and including drones she's 127 points.
  • Triszin and Panzer like this
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,963 posts
So she stayed the same points wise, but got a little better
banana

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

I still wish she'd work properly in another Septs detachment though. sigh

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,279 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

"Hey, should we give other septs toys to play with? Like let shadowsun work with them fully"

"NO, you crazy, Tau are clearly the S tier gods of 40k. Ok, now for marines who are still trash tier...hmm...how about we make Iron Hands, AMAZING with flyers!"

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,724 posts
  • Faction: Confessors
Really hope that gw faqs/addresses this keyword issue with shadowsun-- it pretty much negates the whole point of her being able to be taken in any tau Sept army. Not to mention omitting her points cost (like what happened with lazarus in the last pa book). Maybe their editing is suffering because of the breakneck pace they're trying to release these books at?
  • Kervin40k likes this
gallery_29004_6198_9307.pnggallery_48988_6285_7306.pnggallery_48988_6285_1776.jpggallery_48988_6285_6092.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146.pngcatg2.pnggallery_45765_11565_4862.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_30308_9518_8389.pnggallery_74802_15827_10034.jpggallery_48988_15738_19809.pnggallery_30308_9518_8597.jpg

Waking Dreamer

Waking Dreamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,003 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights

https://imgur.com/gallery/O7L0CiT
Farsight enclaves veteran crisis looks good

Wow, it pleases me GW actually gave FSE a second ability to their Sept Tenet.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make their first one work (essentially meaning choosing FSE, meant you're playing an army knowing that it has a bonus rule they can't actually ever use). 

• coldfyre likes this
BJyntGN.pngOOq4org.png

Waking Dreamer

Waking Dreamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,003 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights

Of course it would have been amazing if they also fixed the original FSE Tenet to a 12" range as well. Meaning, when shooting enemy units within 12" FSE can re-roll 1s to hit AND wound. 

Alas, at its best now it's re-roll 1s to hit when shooting with 12" of the enemy and re-roll 1s to wound when shooting within 6". At least opponents don't have to sigh when they see a FSE army being set up in front of them... 

BJyntGN.pngOOq4org.png

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 671 posts
Trying to be constructive rather then insulting or argumentative, but how is Shadowsun any different then any other named character for any other army?

Creed only buffs Cadians. Straken only buffs Catachan. Calgar only buffs Ultramarines.

I’d love it if Imotekh could buff my Novokh, but he doesn’t.

I’ve seen multiple posts in multiple areas complaining that Shadowsun can’t effect other septs and my question is why should she be different then any other named character in every other faction who are Chapter/regiment/dynasty/etc locked?
  • SteveAntilles, Wolf Guard Dan, Juggernut and 3 others like this

Commander Dawnstar

Commander Dawnstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,151 posts
  • Faction: Ksi'm'yen.

Shadowsun is different from Creed, Straken, Calgar or Imotekh by virtue of having a special rule that allows her to be fielded in Detachments belonging to Septs other than T'au without preventing them from gaining a Sept Tenet. Unlike those other characters she's very deliberately being sold by GW as a character who you should genuinely consider adding to your non-T'au Sept armies and who, as Supreme Commander of the Fire Caste, should be outright leading those armies.

The complaint is in some ways more narratively than mechanically driven. GW have made an exception to the rules to allow Shadowsun to fight alongside armies from Septs other than her own yet haven't made the necessary exception to the rules to actually allow her to use the abilities that represent her talent as a commander when supporting them. The Master of Kauyon is powerless to bring her skills and knowledge to bear despite only being present thanks to a rule representing her unique position as undisputed commander of the current sphere of expansion. She isn't trying to exert outside influence on troops under someone else's command but issuing orders to a cadre she is explicitly part of.

There's certainly a logic to why she can't use her aura effect, but this is just the sort of situation that leaves you wondering why they bothered introducing this new rule if non-T'au Sept players are without most of the incentive to field Shadowsun unless bringing other T'au units anyway and thus negating the need for the new rule.

(Also I'd just like to point out that Imotekh's unique version of My Will Be Done means that he can buff Novokh Necrons. It's only his Bloodswarm Nanoscarabs and the double-cast of MWBD that call for Sautekh targets.)

Edited by Commander Dawnstar, 13 February 2020 - 12:48 AM.

• Juggernut, Lord Marshal, Panzer and 4 others like this

gallery_48988_15465_42927.pnggallery_48988_15465_1202.pnggallery_48988_15465_21744.png

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 671 posts
I would quote your post Commander Dawnstar but it’s long and well thought out. Thanks!

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,724 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate
the rules to actually allow her to use the abilities that represent her talent as a commander when supporting them. The Master of Kauyon is powerless

Fire Warrior: “Sure, she’s inspiring, but what has she done for me lately?”

• NTaW and Panzer like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

the rules to actually allow her to use the abilities that represent her talent as a commander when supporting them. The Master of Kauyon is powerless

Fire Warrior: “Sure, she’s inspiring, but what has she done for me lately?”

Drones: "Must protect my people! Shadowsun-who?"

Emicus

Emicus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,658 posts
Everyone: she's telling us to do that strategy we all practiced, but.. Hmmm.. I just don't see it.

Also why twice? It's not like she's one of us or..

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,270 posts
=][= With the release imminent, it's time to wrap this one up. Feel free to continue your discussion in the relevant subfora.

Here however...=][=

gallery_26_548_17394.gif
  • walter h likes this

gallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_12339_7236.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.png

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users