Alternate Paints for Alpha Legion

Scourged

Hey folks.

So, after painting endless waves of dark blue and black/red armor, I needed a bit of a creative break. Okay, it wasn't the armor I needed a break from, it was the gold trim... ugh, painting gold. But I digress. My scheme exhaustion came at a proper time, as the Liber Challenge Part VI popped up, and my brain went a-schemin'. I'm still fleshing out a nice Alpha Legion warband for the challenge, and I figured I'd paint up a model in the paint scheme.

Only trouble is finding that just perfect Alpha Legion color... We've all been there, am I right?

To cut to the chase, I found these:

http://i.imgur.com/mCX9Vwh.jpg

Acrylic pearlescent inks. I'm a sucker for that pearlescent sheen. Plus, look at that green! It's so perfect. So, I picked it up (only $5.99 at the local Hobby Lobby) and decided to paint up a (very) rough concept model. Here are my results:

http://i.imgur.com/bSmpmw3.jpg

Oh, I'm loving it. It's not the best pic in the world, but it works for now. We each have our own personal tastes for color schemes, but this came out perfect for me. The recipe follows:

Primed black and Basecoated Kantor Blue (the figure was a spare I had laying around for some reason)

2 coats of the ink (it's pretty thin already, fyi), 2:1 mix of green:blue

Wash of Drakenhof Nightshade

Abaddon black on the joints and cables

Trim was just Leadbelcher, Nuln Oil, then Necron Compound drybrush for a quick and dirty paint

Zero airbrushing required

Now I still plan to mess around with this in the future. With the way the ink paints the initial blue basecoat also seems redundant - a decent priming job should be enough. I feel like messing with the mix for some highlights and lowlights will make this color really shine. Using an airbrush with the inks tempts me, though the packaging does not recommend it for the pearlescent ink.

Anyway, I was really happy with the results, and wanted to share the knowledge. Hydra Dominatus and what not.