2020 Imperial Backlog Clearance Project

Cleon

Yeah, I've switched to a light box, but having issues getting good results from it, they look fine in the camera view but then darken up badly in the pictures. Not really sure what I'm missing

More of a record shot than anything - a group pic:

Overall happy with my progress considering the lack of 'reward' from having virtually no games, having a set target helped focus and get things done in chunks (even if I did also work on some non GW projects too.)

Of the 7 Projects...

• 4 were completed, (Space Wolves, Ad Mech, Dark Angels & Talons)
  • 1 met the target, but didn't clear the backlog (Blood Angels)
  • 2 missed the target (Deathwatch & Knights)

I probably enjoyed working on the Space Wolves the most, even if they did come out a little dark (I was trying to avoid the blue sky grey GW currently uses, so it is sort of what I was aiming at) but the shift to 9th edition and the change to the allies rules has left the force a bit screwed - it's primary vision was infantry support for the knights so they are lacking heavy weapons or vehicles. I've slipped and picked up some cheap 'pack' marines on ebay, so this year I'm going to pick up a Devastator squad box and with some spare weapons left over from my Blood Angels bash them together a coupe of Long Fangs packs. 

The Ad mech similarly were never really envisioned as the stand alone force that GW is now moving towards, but as they have access to a Knight within their force, they are probably fine, I wouldn't mind picking up another Onager and some more Kataphrons to help their lck of heavy firepower, but unless I find them cheap I probably won't at this time.

The Dark Angels are just a bit of fun, I'll probably never use them unless I need a small non optimised force to run some intro games,  but they might end up with a couple more units if I end up with spares the Blood Angels don't need from combat patrol or versus box sets.

The Talons force are sitting there, waiting, if the new codex inspires I might expand them.

My Blood Angels did quite well, the addition of the Indominus set into the backlog probably the difference between getting the Primaris backlog cleared and just hitting my company target, but I'll continue with them this year and branch into the 4th Company too.

My Knights really suffered from the weight of the backlog, the length of time it takes me to paint one of the bigger knights (or a pair of armigers eant I was feeling the lack of progress on the long list, so after the first couple they kept getting bumped, I need to figure out how to paint them without them filling all my workspace and stopping e painting anything else.

Finally the Deathwatch, the complete failure of the project. I lost all inspiration for the boys in black when 9h was announced, their flexibility counting against them as I didn't know how to build the kill teams to future proof them so they just sat there untouched. Now 9t is up and running and they have a supplement I can really start thinking about them again.