Iron Warriors - 3000pts Ironfire

The Ironic Warrior

Hey everyone

I've got an event at the end of the September and I wanna run the Ironfire with some Cults & Militia because civilian casualties are my jam...
Anyway, here's the list I'm thinking for 3000pts:

CRUSADE DETACHMENT, IRON WARRIORS, IRONFIRE

HQ

Siegebreaker (Cataphractii Armour, Combi-Bolter, Chainfist)

Damocles Command Rhino

ELITES

3x 1 man Quad Mortar teams (Shatter Shells, Phosphex)

1x 10 man Destroyer Squad (Jump Packs, Melta Bombs, Psyk-Out Grenades, Powerfist/AA on Sergeant, 2x Toxiferran Flamers)

TROOPS

2x 10 man Tactical Squads (CCW, Powerfist/AA on Sergeant, Rhino w/Dozer Blades)

FAST ATTACK

1x 5 man Seeker Squad (5x Combi-Meltas, Powerfist/AA on Sergeant, Rhino w/Dozer Blades)

HEAVY SUPPORT

1x Deredeo (Arachnus Lascannon, 4x Boreas Missiles, Heavy Bolters)

1x Whirlwind Scorpius (Combi-Melta)

1x 5 man Tyrant Siege Terminators (5x Chainfists, Omniscope)

LORD OF WAR
Perturabo (After Istvaan)

ALLIED DETACHMENT, CULTS & MILITIA

HQ

Cult Demagogue (Cult Horde & Tainted Flesh Provenances)

TROOPS

2x 50 man Levy Squads (CCW & Pistols)

What y'all think, any thoughts/suggestions/feedback?
Many thanks <3

Edited by Yaaar's Revenge

Overall it looks decent to me. I barely have any suggestions:

- I think Seekers are rather expensive and not too effective with your current loadout. Combi- Meltas usually imply agressive tactics but they really should be sitting in cover and shooting Scorpius rounds. If you want tank hunter then for the same price you get a 6 Machine Killer Veterans with 2 Meltas and 4 Combis which are just better at dealing with vehicles and can do so more than once per game.

- I doubt that Deredeo will ever shoot at infantry. Hence its Heavy Bolter is pretty much useless - if something has AV10-11, you probably shouldn't be shooting Arachnus at it anyway. Heavy Flamer costs the same and can at least kill someone on overwatch.

- Do you intend to deep strike Terminators and/or Destroyers? If not, I wouldn't take Damocles. Rather something like a Medusa which works great with Ironfire.

Destroyers seem to be a rather underwhelming unit to me but since I have yet to use them (after FAQ/Playtest), I'm not discouraging you from taking them.

Overall it looks decent to me. I barely have any suggestions:

- I think Seekers are rather expensive and not too effective with your current loadout. Combi- Meltas usually imply agressive tactics but they really should be sitting in cover and shooting Scorpius rounds. If you want tank hunter then for the same price you get a 6 Machine Killer Veterans with 2 Meltas and 4 Combis which are just better at dealing with vehicles and can do so more than once per game.

- I doubt that Deredeo will ever shoot at infantry. Hence its Heavy Bolter is pretty much useless - if something has AV10-11, you probably shouldn't be shooting Arachnus at it anyway. Heavy Flamer costs the same and can at least kill someone on overwatch.

- Do you intend to deep strike Terminators and/or Destroyers? If not, I wouldn't take Damocles. Rather something like a Medusa which works great with Ironfire.

Destroyers seem to be a rather underwhelming unit to me but since I have yet to use them (after FAQ/Playtest), I'm not discouraging you from taking them.

The seekers were one of those units where I had points leftover, and I felt some anti-tank scoring units could be useful if I needed to scoot up the board to grab some objectives. But I can have a look at alternatives (Sadly can't do 2 meltaguns in that vet squad as they need 10 guys for 2 weapons, so it would be combi-meltas but I felt the BS5 was better on the Seekers to make them more reliable).

The Deredeo is modelled with Heavy Bolters *insert Marge potato meme here* I think they're neat...

Plan is Deepstrike them yes, as Perty lets them deepstrike turn 1 if needed (The Tyrants he is attached to that is) and that means they can get a really nice position with the Damocles. The bombardment is another nice additional Ironfire marker to, so it gives me some tactical flexibility.

Thanks for the feedback though! :)

My mistake, I always take 10 Veterans per squad so I took for granted it's 2 special weapons per squad :). Still, Veterans will outperform Seekers against vehicles even with their BS5.

Obviously both units are viable, I just don't want you to waste your Seekers by trying to get so close to the enemy. You pay premium for their special ammo which is wasted when shooting combi weapons. Even if they succeed at it, they are very close to the enemy with no real melee capabilities. But this is just my point of view. I'd rather DS terminators with combi-meltas, who cost less and are better suited to be at the very front line.

My mistake, I always take 10 Veterans per squad so I took for granted it's 2 special weapons per squad :smile.:. Still, Veterans will outperform Seekers against vehicles even with their BS5.

Obviously both units are viable, I just don't want you to waste your Seekers by trying to get so close to the enemy. You pay premium for their special ammo which is wasted when shooting combi weapons. Even if they succeed at it, they are very close to the enemy with no real melee capabilities. But this is just my point of view. I'd rather DS terminators with combi-meltas, who cost less and are better suited to be at the very front line.

If I had a spare Elites slot I would :D sadly all 4 are taken up.

That is an option, I could take a Cataphractii squad with combi-weapons and chainfists to support Perty as he deepstrikes. The deepstriking units are I want to say, defensive but they are going to be pincering whatever advances towards me rather than push out of my half of the table.

This is filthy, the 100 body thick screen will be great fun. Really like the bones of this list.

Personally I reckon the seekers are a great choice but you're not running them right. Seekers are all about timing, they work best with plasma and you need 7+ in a squad. They outperform any veteran except in melee. COMBI IS THEIR FORTE AND IS CHEAPER THAN EVER, special ammo is secondary. Charge their rhino up the front and pop them close range to dump their combi - usually super effective and will always make their points back if you're smart. Keep them close to and supported by your tacticals.

DSing chainfists is brutality, love it. I disagree with other posts and will say you definitely don't need more terminators. You've already got staying power with pert + tyrants + 1000 fearless plebs.

You're slightly lacking in long ranged Anti Armour - my guess is your derey will get popped quick. If you play your chainfist cards right I think you'll be fine though. Your thick army and solid artillery will out match your opponent's infantry and pit their ability to cap objectives.

Sick list mate

This is filthy, the 100 body thick screen will be great fun. Really like the bones of this list.

Personally I reckon the seekers are a great choice but you're not running them right. Seekers are all about timing, they work best with plasma and you need 7+ in a squad. They outperform any veteran except in melee. COMBI IS THEIR FORTE AND IS CHEAPER THAN EVER, special ammo is secondary. Charge their rhino up the front and pop them close range to dump their combi - usually super effective and will always make their points back if you're smart. Keep them close to and supported by your tacticals.

DSing chainfists is brutality, love it. I disagree with other posts and will say you definitely don't need more terminators. You've already got staying power with pert + tyrants + 1000 fearless plebs.

You're slightly lacking in long ranged Anti Armour - my guess is your derey will get popped quick. If you play your chainfist cards right I think you'll be fine though. Your thick army and solid artillery will out match your opponent's infantry and pit their ability to cap objectives.

Sick list mate

Thanks dude :D

I will look at what I can do with the Seekers, as I really have them to flank with the Sabres to pop annoying vehicles that get too close while my militia prevent people from touching my lines. Just gotta source a lot of Corpse Grinder kits now ;)

I agree, Seekers are very good with combi plasmas as it combines quite well with their tactics and are far better than Veterans. But with meltas I believe they are just too vulnerable and fragile, and easily outperformed by either Veterans, who do this particular job better and can actually fight in cc, or by Terminators, who can easily DS and survive on the very front line due to additional protection and weapons.

But with a large squad and combi plasma they are absolutely boss for sure and better than alternatives in terms of effectiveness