Application to enter the Astra Militarium boot camp.

NerdyFellow

Finished some more figures the last week. I did spend a lot of time working on my terrain piece though, so not as many figures as I'd like.

gallery_194846_16094_219174.jpg

Only have a few more "non-regular" guardsmen to paint, so I'm spreading them out a bit, because they are quite enjoyable to paint. I'm considering getting a tool to make weapon barrels hollow, because painting a black hole isn't quite ideal.

gallery_194846_16094_74703.jpgA little less detail work on regular guardsmen, and painted up assembly line style. I feel they actually look better then my first guardsmen though, despite less work on each individual model.

Ohh, and notice the background? That's one side of my home-made terrain. The walls are made from a big box of candy, as well as some patterned pizza packaging for "insulation". Also the metal pieces used to "weld" the panels together, as well as the insulation beneath the panels, really helps create a depth to the wall. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I imagine this is some shack thrown together by Orks, this also lets me go nuts with weathering, and using different colors for each panel. Still have 3 out of 4 sides to paint though, as well as a roof. Maybe I'll make a turret or something on the roof using the spare parts from my Leman Russ.

• 2 weeks later...

So painting has slowed down a bit the last couple of weeks, and I also betrayed my Commissar and painted a few push-fit Space Marines and Orks, as I felt like painting something new. But I do have 3 new figures done, as well as a work in progress Heavy Weapon Team.

gallery_194846_16094_184987.jpg

I bought a jar of Scorpion Green paint ages ago, and I've never really used it, despite loving the color. The Plasma Gun seemed like the perfect opportunity to use it. Pretty happy with it, but it gets better on my next attempt.

gallery_194846_16094_214740.jpgAnother Guard with Vox-Caster. I love these guys, the Vox-Caster really is a great piece to paint. Also my first mini with an alternative way of carrying the rifle. I wish there was more poses for the rifles, but I guess you have to be creative with it.

gallery_194846_16094_436083.jpg

My second painted commander, and I feel like I can see the improvements in my painting with this. I could probably spend more time highlighting the trench coat and Chainsword, but some times you just feel like moving on to the next mini. But, as previously mentioned, the plasma effect worked out better then my first attempt, in my opinion. Also, is this mini actually playable as a commander? I might have messed up here, could I maybe use it as a squad Seargent instead?

gallery_194846_16094_199509.jpgWork in progress Heavy Weapon Team. The tripod is going to my Bolt Gun, so I knew I would have to be creative with the Lascannon Team. In order to mount this Lascannon I made a brick wall with some brick pieces I ordered, as well the sandbag from the heavy weapon sprue. But I also had to give the Lascannon and extended mount piece, which is the extended piece right below cable hole. It's just a bit of sprue, shaped in order to be as square as possible.

Next up is... well I'm not sure yet. I ordered a few bases to make more heavy weapons teams, but the bases seem to be 5mm too short, which is annoying. I have a sniper I could paint, but I think it's really ugly, after using way too much glue. I should get some sort of clamp to help me assemble certain figures. I did try fixing the sniper with some valejo liquid plastic, but it's not enough. And then there's the Standard Bearer with Power Sword, which I'm dreading to paint.

Good stuff, it's not a bad idea to spice your painting queue up helps keep you fresh. Don't worry about the standard bearer, you can always leave the bits you don't feel ready for yet and return to them later :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've actually considered getting a Start Collecting box from another faction, but I'd have to invest in a bunch of paints as well, I think, so I'm holding it off a bit. Any thoughts on my questions about the commander?

My biggest problem with the Standard Bearer is that I assembled the whole thing, and the space to work on it is really cramped. In the future I'll try pre-painting pieces more before assembling, like I've done with my heavy weapons team.

Damn that looks nice and its exactly the same scheme as I have! Good stuff.

Same scheme! That's cool! Anywhere I could see some of your guys?

Great minds think alike? :tongue.: I don't think the commander needs anything, the plasma improvement is great and overall he works nicely and is more than ready for the table top as is :thumbsup:

Hmm, all right. For some reason I got it in my head that he couldn't have that loadout.

Anyways, a quick update. I spent all night working on my Heavy Weapon Team, as I was really pumped and thought I might be onto something with this one.

gallery_194846_16094_1307730.jpg

Quite happy with it. I imagine they've come under heavy fire, and have had to improvise a new fortified position. All out of ammo, and the lascannon-juice running low, the injured guardsman is chucking every last grenade they got.

That's it for me. Now it's off to sleepy-land.

Edited by NerdyFellow

• 2 weeks later...

Some really nice progress here NerdyFellow.

I’m working on a few Guardsmen myself which I started years ago and it’s definitely helping my motivation to get them on the tabletop.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Edited by Brother Dallo

It's been a few weeks since last update, but I've not let the brush lay still, I've just been busy with my 2nd army. Took me less then two months to be tempted to start yet another army. The addiction is real. I definitely did not order a third army... nope...

Anyways, here's what I've done for my commissar lately:

gallery_194846_16094_80380.jpg

I've been a bit scared to work on the Leman Russ, but after painting 10 Primaris Space Marines, I needed something else then shades of blue. I messed up spray-coating the right side of the tank, and messed it up worse when I tried to fix it. So I ended up painted the bottoms with some Stirland Battlemire, to hide the damage I did to the model, and I think it worked pretty well. With that said, I think the left side of the tank looks better. Pretty happy with the spotlight, and the small peeking holes on the hatch. I tried wet blending to get the effect I wanted, but in the end it was more like dry brushing with different colors. The bad news is that nothing is magnetized, as I started assembling the model before I was aware of this trick. Heck, I even glued the Lascannon, so I learned a few lessons with this model. My next project however, will provide all the tactical flexibility the Commissar requires.

gallery_194846_16094_67793.jpgDry-brushing this model was great, it really brings the model to life, with all it's small details. It also gave me a reason to use the Nuln Oil Gloss that I purchased by mistake, as I figured the metal pieces would be wet with oil. I would be finished with the Sentinel by now, except I figured out a bit too late that I need smaller magnets for the weapons, so it might be a week or two before I finish this one.

I figure that by the end of the month, I'll be done with all the guard-models I have. After that I'll have to look into getting the codex and consider how I should progress with my next few purchases.

Both look great :thumbsup:

What greys did you use?

Thanks mate! The dark grey is Adeptus Battlegrey (yes, from ancient citadel bottles), and the lighter one is Celestra Grey. Brushed the dark grays with Celestra, and I brushed the light grays with Corax White. If I had to redo the whole thing, I'd probably replace the Celestra Grey with my Mechrite Red (also another ancient citadel bottle). I've been using Celestra for my guardsmen as well, and to be honest I don't like the color very much. It's too late now though! Not repainting all my guards! :sweat:

Fine work, the camouflage looks great and the weathering work really tops it off. I can't see anything wrong from the primer at all either, nicely done :thumbsup:

Thanks. The worst damage I did to the model was strategically not included in the pictures, though you can see a bit of it on the left side. If you look closely, the details are just a bit more lost. I was pretty happy with the camouflage though, I thought it would be scarier to freehand it then it actually was. The turret I just painted different panels as I was being lazy, and it didn't take away from the camouflage of the main body. Some of the weathering was a pain in the arse, and it shows on some parts that my patience was running thin. Lines were too thick (both in brushstrokes and in color-density), and that goes for all the little dots as well. If/when I paint another vehicle, I really should do more sub-assemblies, just to keep my patience up. It's a shame because I'd love to do a bit more battle damage on the model, but there's always another model tempting me away.