LatD as a Codex Supplement for Astra Militarum Idea

sairence

I don't really agree that you should just be able to swap in a Chaos kw. The old Lost and Damned roster, though I never experienced it beyond reading about it, had real flavour to it. Well beyond "this is guard, but spikey", which is what this would end up being. Personally I already didn't like the "this is Guard but with gribbly bit" that GSC got. I'd much rather see a proper LaD release, not that I'd play it mind you.

Besides, I think GW has fairly concrete ideas of what various armies should look like. For Chaos I've gotten the impression that that's chaos soup, cultist swarms, demons and demon engines galore. Less so the Imperium mirror.

I don't really agree that you should just be able to swap in a Chaos kw. The old Lost and Damned roster, though I never experienced it beyond reading about it, had real flavour to it. Well beyond "this is guard, but spikey", which is what this would end up being. Personally I already didn't like the "this is Guard but with gribbly bit" that GSC got. I'd much rather see a proper LaD release, not that I'd play it mind you.

Besides, I think GW has fairly concrete ideas of what various armies should look like. For Chaos I've gotten the impression that that's chaos soup, cultist swarms, demons and demon engines galore. Less so the Imperium mirror.

I love the "Dark Reflection" angle of Chaos, and I would love better LatD rules overall. I actually had some ideas (apologies if it's a bit off-topic, but we ARE wishlisting for new Guard rules) just today.

Idea was to have LatD be a "supplement" book to Guard. They'd be able to take most, if not all, Guard units, and a set of unique ones - mutants, Beastmen, the Blackstone-exclusive stuff, maybe some stuff out of the existing LatD rules - and they'd have a set of keyword rules as follows.

Lost and the Damned units would have keywords by default as follows: CHAOS, HERETIC MILITARUM (or similar unique faction keyword) and a choice between <WARBAND> (the unique variable faction keyword of LatD), <LEGION> (same as the CSM one), DEATH GUARD or THOUSAND SONS. They'd have the Mere Mortals rule, preventing them from gaining a Legion Trait or benefiting from the Death Guard or Thousand Sons rules, but would get the keyword in exchange; <WARBAND> would give army traits as normal, but wouldn't share keywords with Legions. I was also thinking a stratagem which lets you swap out the crew of a <LEGION>, DEATH GUARD or THOUSAND SONS HERETIC MILITARUM VEHICLE unit for 1 CP per unit - or 3 CP for a LoW -  giving them the HERETIC ASTARTES keyword, dropping the Mere Mortals rule from that unit and giving them +1 BS and WS to indicate the new crew's higher overall reflexes and skill - a way to give Guard vehicles to CSM. They'd be a faction defined by their allegiance to CSM in a lot of ways, and it'd be fun for players like me with a lot of CSM already. Maybe they can't take Relics by themselves unless they're <WARBAND> either, incentivizing you to run <WARBAND>.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen